Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 04:05 PM

144 posts, read 494,086 times

Advertisements

15 N
70 E
76 E
25 N
Is that it in a nutshell?
I am willing to leave San Diego anytime after midnight and I would like to knock out the majority of the drive in on day, depending on weather natch'.
What would be a good town to overnight with my family and crate trained dog? I wouldn't mind a hotel with an indoor pool and jacuzzi but it is not important.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 05:38 PM

97 posts, read 266,249 times
Grand Junction is a great stop after a long day. Plus, you will be able to enjoy the beautiful drive through the Rockies fresh the next Morning.

We often take the drive from OC, overnight in Grand Junction, Breakfast in Glenwood Hot Springs, take in the sights, Lunch in Dillion, then down to the city, take a nap and enjoy dinner at home.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:37 AM

Sounds like a good itinerary. I wouldn't have to leave so early to make Grand Junction at a reasonable time.
Thanks

Old 11-16-2009, 03:14 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,167,692 times
Depends a lot upon the weather.

You may find the Sevier/CoveFort area a rather nasty drive, with the area from St George northward to be very snowed in. I-70 can be a difficult drive during this time of the year in the western areas.

You might want to consider a more southerly route, I-8/10 to Las Cruces NM and then northward on I-25. It's a longer driving distance, but you avoid a lot of potentially snowed in areas. Raton Pass in Colorado can be a challenge, but it's only one compared to the much longer mountainous areas you'll be driving through on the proposed route. Then again, the weather may be moderate and your route an easy trip ... but keep an eye on the actual weather and forecasts at the time of your departure. It wouldn't be uncommon for what is typically 18 hours of road time to turn into 24 hours plus at this time of the year.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:31 AM

Thank you,
I know the shortest drive time is going to be very weather dependent. I will be able to fudge my travel dates a day or two each way so at least I have that to work around. Unless it is a monumental storm how long after a snow does it take for I-70 to be made travel safe?

Old 11-20-2009, 01:54 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,238 times
The drive from Vail down to I76 can be very heavy Sunday PM as weekenders head home from the slopes.

How long it takes to clear is dependent on how bad it snows, no hard and fast rule, obviously on heavier traffic days it's worse. CDOT has made a great effort to keep traffic moving the last couple of years; extra chain up crews for truckers, heavy duty tow trucks, etc. Keep the radio on and never take undue chances. Hotels in Glenwood Springs are nicer than high school gyms in Silverthorne.

gg

Old 11-21-2009, 11:36 AM

Our travel days would not be on the weekend so that will be in our favor.
I am OUT on the highschool gym scenario.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:23 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,257 times
Wink Watch the weather

While you might do the better part of it in one day, San Diego, CA to Loveland, CO is basically a good, solid two day drive.

As mentioned, in winter logistics can change quickly. It would be advisable to have a Plan B, a southern route if need be. Although the proposed route can be clear the entire distance, or with just sections of snow packed road, one can realistically expect the possibility of snow from St. George, UT to Loveland, CO.

I-70, particularly between Summit County and Denver, CO, is subject to being closed at a moments notice; it only takes one accident. It is of course generally open, but if snowing one should consider there is the possibility of such closures, lasting hours.

As far as lodging, again, possibly dependent on weather. There are several good options in Richfield, UT, such as a Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express. Just up the road, Salina, UT has less opulent options, but your last chance until Green River, UT. If in Salina, the Rodeway Inn would probably be a good, if not sumptuous, choice. Green River offers a number of choices; I've heard that the Best Western there is favored by many travelers, who really like it. Beyond Green River, your next chance at anything would be Fruita, CO.

From Grand Junction, CO east there are any number of lodging options, many of the large chain hotels, at regular intervals. If in January, availability shouldn't prove much of an issue, save perhaps in a resort location.

Should you get as far as Summit County before stopping, there are any number of fine options to choose from. The simple but adequate category might include either the Ramada Limited of Frisco, CO, or Quality Inn of Silverthorne, CO. Both are easily accessed from I-70. There are of course more upscale options as well.

Many portions of this proposed route are quite scenic (just from the interstate). While you may have neither the time nor inclination, a detour of several hours from St. George, UT would allow a visit to nearby Zion National Park, which is magnificent any time of year. When in Loveland, CO, of course, nearby Rocky Mountain National Park is always lovely as well.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:42 AM

19 posts, read 271,946 times
Soul,

I lived in So Cal almost my entire life and came here in August. PM me if you want to get together when you arrive. We would love to help you in your transition!

Old 12-30-2009, 02:42 PM

87 posts, read 246,811 times
The moral of the story is....plan for the bad weather and road closures.

If they don't happen, great. If so, at least you were prepared for them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area