Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 11:48 AM

8 posts, read 115,796 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Fort Collins at the end of May. I am spoiled with high-speed wireless internet. Who are the best providers in Fort Collins? I looked at Hughesnet and they are way too expensive. We will be renting near the Horsetooth park area if that makes a difference. I currently pay around $39/month and that price could probably come down if I bundled my internet with my television.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 01:41 PM

169 posts, read 672,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roakie View Post
We are moving to Fort Collins at the end of May. I am spoiled with high-speed wireless internet. Who are the best providers in Fort Collins? I looked at Hughesnet and they are way too expensive. We will be renting near the Horsetooth park area if that makes a difference. I currently pay around $39/month and that price could probably come down if I bundled my internet with my television.

Your choices:
--------------------------------
-Comcast - the fastest, but also the most expensive. I use this.
-Front Range Internet (FRII) - Local ISP that licenses Quest lines - DSL, wireless, T1 etc services available.
-Quest - phone company with DSL access

When you say wireless do you mean actually wireless to your home (point to point wireless) or wired then wireless within your home (via a consumer broadband router). If it is the former then i know of only 1 option - Front Range Internet (FRII). Prices are here: FRII - High Speed Broadband (http://frii.com/residential/broadband.html - broken link)

When you say Horsetooth park do you mean in the foothills area around Horsetooth reservoir? If so, your options will be limited (as you know). I'm not sure if Comcast runs out there or not. Quest/FRII might(?) Good luck.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:19 AM

8 posts, read 115,796 times
I currently have wireless to my home and then wireless within the home as well. I pay $39.95 and average 54 Mbps. From what I can see, the speeds available from the providers in Fort Collins are much slower than this. However, I don't know how much of a difference there is in download time between my current speed and something like Comcast or Quest DSL.

Does your internet seem fast, bproven? I don't do gaming or anything, so it's not like I have to have super fast speeds. I am just spoiled at this point.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:46 AM

27 posts, read 169,245 times
There were several wireless providers in the area. I believe Mesa Networks and Skybeam merged sometime last year. I had heard good things about Mesa networks, but I don't believe any of them are as fast as what you had before.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:29 PM

169 posts, read 672,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roakie View Post
I currently have wireless to my home and then wireless within the home as well. I pay $39.95 and average 54 Mbps. From what I can see, the speeds available from the providers in Fort Collins are much slower than this. However, I don't know how much of a difference there is in download time between my current speed and something like Comcast or Quest DSL.

Does your internet seem fast, bproven? I don't do gaming or anything, so it's not like I have to have super fast speeds. I am just spoiled at this point.
Cable is the fastest you can get AFAIK in Fort Collins. I pay for the top tier residential (advertised as 8Mbit/s down and 1Mbit/s up). I actually experience about 12-16Mbit/s down and 2Mbit/s up. All in all a pretty decent deal for those speeds ($55.95 per month) and yes very fast IMO. Way better than you will get with DSL. Of course I wish we had Verizon FIOS which achieves double or triple this, but current regs in CO do not allow Verizon to compete with Quest.

BTW you are damn lucky to get 54Mbps for that price. You will never get that here in CO unless you lease a T3

Old 10-21-2013, 05:00 AM

40 posts, read 99,070 times
Can anyone advise me what providers are providing high speed internet in the south Fort Collins area (80525)

Thanks

Old 02-21-2014, 06:35 PM

9 posts, read 20,449 times
Default fiber optic internet connection

I live in the NE part of Fort Collins and we've been happy with our internet provider. We use CenturyLink with a fiber optic internet connection. My husband works from home (remotely) and with the type of work that he does he needs the fastest internet connection he can get otherwise he can't do his job properly. So far (as far as I know) for our neighborhood we can't get anything better than what they offered based on what we searched.

Last edited by Tacobrunch; 02-21-2014 at 06:45 PM..

Old 02-22-2014, 01:01 AM

40 posts, read 99,070 times
Thanks, I have signed up with Century Link, we will get around 12mb connection which will suffice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area