Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 04:13 PM

23 posts, read 63,793 times

Advertisements

First of all, you are going to have to compromise-Anything in a 3/2 in the beach/east area is going to be expensive. When on a budget, you either compromise space for prime location, and vice versa.

Are you really considering basing where and what you buy on checking up on a friend's property???? That sounds like a pretty demanding friend to me.

P.S....We don't have storms that require checking up on that often-Since 2005, I would say very few times. Contrary to popular belief, Florida doesn't have a hurricane or hurricanes every year.

Contact a Realtor. They will tell you what you can afford in the area you are looking in, but don't be surprised if you are priced out. We may be in a bad market currently, but the desirable areas still are hard to afford.

Sorry, but I find it incredible to base a choice like buying a home on doing an occasional favour for a friend. If you could find a nice 3/2 in a good area like Plantation for example, would you sacrifice for a 1/1 or possible a 2/1 (likely in an old building with issues) in the beach area just to do a favour for a friend, and same a few minutes driving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 04:42 PM

153 posts, read 248,787 times
Oh, God, no! I'd like to be fairly close to that area for halfway selfish reasons. I won’t know anyone and it would be preferable to be close by to the one family I do know even if they're only around part time. I offered to check in on his place all on my own and I like to keep my word. I remember the last big storm blew in a window in his unit. There was some water damage but the contractor L'Hermitage hired tried to exaggerate the extent and knocked holes in walls unnecessarily because the owner wasn't there to see it. Also, they kindly offered the place to me when they're not there and it's pretty sweet staying 24 floors up looking out over the ocean.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:01 PM

23 posts, read 63,793 times
Hmmmmmm.....Why not stay in the friend's condo while they're not there as a caretaker, and find some type of short term rental while they are in town? You get to stay in luxury for free, and save money while you're there. Unless of course, they spend a lot of time there.

Truthfully, you wouldn't log much driving time from anywhere in the Broward metro area if all you are doing is checking in a few times a month. The beach is a great place to live, but you either need a really good income, or need to be willing to live in a small, ratty place.

I would reccommend Wilton Manors-Minutes from the beach (anywhere, really) and is a pretty close knit gay community-Property values stay steady, and you have really great neighbors. I think it's still within many people's means, for the most part.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:27 PM

153 posts, read 248,787 times
I would never impose on a friends generosity, but it is nice there. I've looked at a couple of places in WM and I'm aware it's a safe and growing gay community. Personally, I'm straight, but that's a total non issue. I have to get back down there and look at some properties and not rely on internet listings.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:00 PM

57 posts, read 165,343 times
coral ridge.
it's classier than wilton manors, by the intercoastal, and has 60% less rainbows.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:47 AM

3 posts, read 13,340 times
Default Oakland Park newbie

I have recently purchased a home and moved to the Oakland Park ... Lloyd Estates area. I made this purchase after MANY visits to the area, and did a comparison of other nearby areas.
I can tell you that this area of Oakland Park is great! It has an eclectic mix of people, which I like...and you can get a great home for the money right now.
Every town has its "better areas"...but this area of Lloyds Estates is a quiet, well established neighborhood in a great location.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:51 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,764,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Ok a few things.

1. Oakland Park (the city) is different than Oakland Park Blvd., which runs about 20 miles east/west. The Blvd. starts at A1A at the ocean and runs all the way out to the Sawgrass Expressway, which is in the Everglades. In between, it runs through the towns of Fort Lauderdale, Oakland Park, Lauderdale Lakes, and Sunrise. The city of Oakland Park is only about 1-2 miles east/west between US1 and I-95. Anything outside of that realm is not Oakland Park. Many real-estate ads will call it Oakland Park because its located near Oakland Park Blvd., but it is actually Lauderdale Lakes or another town.

2. Is Oakland Park a bad place? Depends on which part. If you are near the US1 corridor, its a decent area. If you go west of a certain street, lets say NE 18th Avenue, the area declines fast. The area around the L.A. Fitness gym is relatively good. But if you go too far west of there, the area declines.

3. Oakland Park Blvd. and N. Ocean Drive is a great area, because it is on the ocean. Anything across the Intracoastal Waterway on the water or ocean is a good area.

4. Are you planning to rent or buy? If you are renting, you have other options outside of Oakland Park that are nearby and short driving range that are affordable. Check out Port Royale Apartments in Fort Lauderdale, located on US1 about 1 mile north of Commercial Blvd.
I'm not sure if you are saying NE 18th Ave is nice or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area