Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:59 AM

3 posts, read 15,233 times

Advertisements

I live in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan. How would you compare Miami to Detroit? In Michigan we have more Arab nationalties than spanish. They also speak their language wherever they please. Everyone keeps saying how bad Miami is. I thought most big cities have a lot of crime and congestion. Am I wrong to think that? Detroit is one of the most scariest cities to visit and the by far looks the most run down. Anyone who has been to Detroit and Miami please let me know what you think. My husband will be working in Fort Lauderdale. Is Miramar a good choice? We would be living closer to the Everglades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 11:05 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthed View Post
I live in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan. How would you compare Miami to Detroit? In Michigan we have more Arab nationalties than spanish. They also speak their language wherever they please. Everyone keeps saying how bad Miami is. I thought most big cities have a lot of crime and congestion. Am I wrong to think that? Detroit is one of the most scariest cities to visit and the by far looks the most run down. Anyone who has been to Detroit and Miami please let me know what you think. My husband will be working in Fort Lauderdale. Is Miramar a good choice? We would be living closer to the Everglades.
If he is working in Fort Lauderdale, look into Weston, west Davie, Cooper City,and at furthest Pembroke Pines west of Palm Ave. Miramar is ehhh on the east, nice on the west, but is farr from Fort Lauderdale. Broward County is not bad at all, but Miami-Dade county really is, except to visit.As far as if it is worse than Detroit, I would say its more different than worse. If you do not have kids, look into Plantation and west Sunrise as well. All of these communities have very low crime and are within an easy commuting distance to Fort Lauderdale. Traffic is not really bad in Broward, but your commute on I-595 in/out of Lauderdale will be a tad sluggish. Local roads are not too congested at all, they did a good job keeping up with the growth in that respect.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions .

Old 06-27-2007, 11:17 AM

355 posts, read 1,583,006 times
Miramar west of Hiatus Road is nice, as well as Pembroke Pines, with homes in PP & Miramar newer west of Flamingo Road. Overcrowded schools, though. A true building boom from the mid '90s. I suppose you could call it progress. You will be on the southwest reaches of Broward County (accessible by car, that is)....which is the furthest from downtown Ft. Lauderdale. Lots of homes for sale out here due to the property tax issues.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:20 AM

3 posts, read 15,233 times
Thank you for the reply. This really helps me out a lot. If I did have kids is there a reason why I should not live in Plantation? We were originally looking there, but a real estate agent directed us to Miramar or Pembroke Pines. My child is only a 6 mth old baby.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the reply. This really helps me out a lot. If I did have kids is there a reason why I should not live in Plantation? We were originally looking there, but a real estate agent directed us to Miramar or Pembroke Pines. My child is only a 6 mth old baby.
Plantation is beautiful, but has lots of less than desirable school districts. Honestly, there are a few good elemntary schools, but once you get past that age, you would need to find a private school. I still recomend west Davie for an easy commute and great schools. I also recomend Weston, if you can afford it. Pembroke Pines is far too crowded and congested, and the schools are not as good, and it is also farther from downtown. What is your price range? Maybe that may have a lot to do with where you agent is taking you.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:34 AM

I would look in Cooper City ,west Davie, and Weston. West Plantation (Plantation Acres is nice....pricey, though), and west Sunrise are also some other options not as far as Miramar & Pembroke Pines.

I can't say enough great things about Cooper City. Small town feel. Great parks and the schools are not overcrowded. However, with the property tax thing happenning....parks & libraries will be slashed.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralei2 View Post
I would look in Cooper City ,west Davie, and Weston. West Plantation (Plantation Acres is nice....pricey, though), and west Sunrise are also some other options not as far as Miramar & Pembroke Pines.

I can't say enough great things about Cooper City. Small town feel. Great parks and the schools are not overcrowded. However, with the property tax thing happenning....parks & libraries will be slashed.
West Sunrise has a good elementary school too, Sawgrass Elementary.84 South of Sunrise gets Weston elementary and Davie middle and high schools schools for a Sunrise price .
In Plantation, look into the Central Park Elementary district.
But like I said, you will need private schools past that grade.
Cooper City is really nice though, definitely check it out!

Old 06-27-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralei2 View Post

Arent most parks funded by local/municipal taxes that won't go down?

Old 06-27-2007, 12:53 PM

184 posts, read 611,298 times
Quote:
Detroit is hands down worse than Miami ... and Miami can be pretty bad !!

I have been to Detroit twice and although there is some renovation and investment going on ..... it is as you put it "scary " . The only area I liked was the suburb of Farmington Hills which was pretty nice . That said you do not have to set foot in Miami if you do not want if you live in Miramar and husband works in Ft.Lauderdale ... remember neither is in Miami or in Dade County for that matter .

I would look a little farther North if I were you .... check out other areas of Broward County .... Coral Springs , Plantation , Weston , Davie , Cooper City . Miramar has its nice areas mostly West of I-75 , but it has its seedy areas as well .... look in the above areas and you will be fine especially if your husband will work in Ft.Lauderdale . On another note you do not want to live in Miami , but it does have its nice areas to hit on weekends and Miami Beach has great night life .

Last all of the above places I listed in Broward County are within 30 - 45 minutes of the beach and Las Olas Blvd ( Ft.lauderdale ) on the weekends .... nothing like that in Detroit !!!

Old 06-27-2007, 12:55 PM

Our taxes are going down, but our city parks will be affected. We were mailed literature stating that there will be fewer services. I bet the mailing cost a lot of money, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area