Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 02:50 PM

147 posts, read 173,825 times

Advertisements

Hello! Possible relocation from Chicago with husband, 4 year old and 4 month old. His job would be in Ft. Lauderdale, does not have to commute everyday, maybe twice a week. Is there such an area/neighborhood by the beach, lots of families with children, and in a great school district walkable to shops and restaurants (we like beer)? If public schools are good, we will spend more on our house. If not so good and have to send to fee/private/Motessori type schools, we may come down on what we want to spend. We love the Sarasota area, but there are no relocs there now for him, only in Ft. Lauderdale. We do love Ft. Lauderdale too, but I don't think we can find what we're looking for in the heart of the city (maybe we can??)

I know you'll probably want to know what we want to spend and it's pretty flexible, we've even thought about buying a lot and build if there are any in a good area that meets our criteria (not asking much, right?) We want a 4 bedroom, 3 bath, and 3 car garage. Any areas/neighborhoods you all can recommend?

Last edited by kimmerthy; 04-17-2014 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: ETA: and I have searched this board and didn't find what I was looking for by the beach!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 03:48 PM

I did find this... https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...c06&dg=feature

Just trying to navigate through the dark green, standard green areas.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:09 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmerthy View Post
Hello! Possible relocation from Chicago with husband, 4 year old and 4 month old. His job would be in Ft. Lauderdale, does not have to commute everyday, maybe twice a week. Is there such an area/neighborhood by the beach, lots of families with children, and in a great school district walkable to shops and restaurants (we like beer)? If public schools are good, we will spend more on our house. If not so good and have to send to fee/private/Motessori type schools, we may come down on what we want to spend. We love the Sarasota area, but there are no relocs there now for him, only in Ft. Lauderdale. We do love Ft. Lauderdale too, but I don't think we can find what we're looking for in the heart of the city (maybe we can??)

I know you'll probably want to know what we want to spend and it's pretty flexible, we've even thought about buying a lot and build if there are any in a good area that meets our criteria (not asking much, right?) We want a 4 bedroom, 3 bath, and 3 car garage. Any areas/neighborhoods you all can recommend?
You're flexible but you must have limits right? Can you spend $1mil? $500K Can you give a range with a top end?

Generally the nice neighborhoods near the beach don't have fantastic schools but there are exceptions.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:53 PM

Hi Momma_bear, I think I read one of your posts earlier tonight which I was able to get some great information from. Yes, definitely limits... around 750,000 would be great with great Montessori/private schools nearby, willing to go up to $1M+ if in a great school district and 10 minutes from beach. I checked out Parkland, but seems far from the beach. It's better to live north of Ft. Lauderdale because of traffic, right? We can be north or south of Ft. Lauderdale since he won't have to go in to work that often. My husband just really wants to be near the beach (me too!) so I know we'll have to pay to be near there. So tell me the exceptions and I'll run the price by him

Old 04-17-2014, 10:55 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,835,827 times
Quote:

Weston. With the express lanes on I-595, you will be at the beach in 25 min. And you will have really good public schools.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:44 AM

Thanks, ruski. Not sure the husband will want to be there far from the beach. I did notice last night there's an area in Boca Raton, The Reserve maybe, had a handful of schools that rated very high. Do any of you know of this area? Looking into it more today.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:34 AM

77 posts, read 110,452 times
Quote:
Hi Momma_bear, I think I read one of your posts earlier tonight which I was able to get some great information from. Yes, definitely limits... around 750,000 would be great with great Montessori/private schools nearby, willing to go up to $1M+ if in a great school district and 10 minutes from beach. I checked out Parkland, but seems far from the beach. It's better to live north of Ft. Lauderdale because of traffic, right? We can be north or south of Ft. Lauderdale since he won't have to go in to work that often. My husband just really wants to be near the beach (me too!) so I know we'll have to pay to be near there. So tell me the exceptions and I'll run the price by him
I was raised in Coral Springs and through the years Parkland has always remained nice. If I had the money to live there that's where Id be!! There's plenty of shopping and nice restaurants close by, parks and stuff for the kids and the beach is really a 20-30 minute drive so not bad at all. The schools are nice and you should have no problem finding a good private one close by, even the public schools in that area would be much nicer than others even more than some private ones.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:08 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,477,894 times
Boca is gonna be the closest area to the beach with the best schools. Boca is in Palm Beach County, just across the county line from Broward. It is about 25-30 minutes commute to downtown Fort Lauderdale on 95, but during peak times can be more like 45+ minutes. For only 2 days per week, its a cakewalk. Also, if you live far enough east in Boca, you can take US1 which flows pretty fast during the morning rush hour.

Parkland and Coral Springs are further out west. It would take more like 20-25 minutes to get to the beaches in Deerfield or Boca from both areas. Weston is the furthest away from the beach in terms of mileage. 595 goes pretty quick these days since they recently added express lanes with no exits between Weston and Fort Lauderdale. So there is no traffic merging on/off the entire way and you fly. It still would take you a good 25-30 minutes to get to the beach.

In Broward County, the cities closest to the beach unfortunately have average to below average schools. It is due to the transient nature of the areas near the beach. The more family oriented communities are the western suburbs.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:33 PM

Thanks so much to both of you, especially for taking the time to write these posts. This all helps me a lot! Yes, looks like Boca is a little closer to the beach than Parkland. 45+min for a commute is nothing, he's a little over an hour right now each way. I'll check out Coral Springs as well, but think Boca will be more up DHs alley. Thanks, again

Old 04-21-2014, 05:42 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,477,894 times
Quote:
Thanks so much to both of you, especially for taking the time to write these posts. This all helps me a lot! Yes, looks like Boca is a little closer to the beach than Parkland. 45+min for a commute is nothing, he's a little over an hour right now each way. I'll check out Coral Springs as well, but think Boca will be more up DHs alley. Thanks, again
Boca extends pretty far west, so it depends which part of Boca you chose. If you live out by 441, you may as well be in Parkland because its almost that far from the beach. That commute is usually no more than 45 minutes too, but sometimes you can hit a bad accident. Traffic in the winter months is much worse than the summer months. We are entering into the summer season now and the snowbirds are mostly gone. The traffic has improved a lot in recent weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area