Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 06:22 PM

21 posts, read 44,848 times

Advertisements

Stay away from Parkland unless you want to be in the Everglades. If you want a nice area with good public schools go Boca. If you want to stay in Ft. Lauderdale it is a little shaky as far as family friendly... no good public schools besides Montesorri Virginia Shuman Young but that is if you get in it is lottery. Private down there is the way to go, Westminster is probably the best in FTL. Middle River is nice and in your price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 07:08 PM

147 posts, read 174,127 times
Thank you, thank you! I've got all this down on my notes. Definitely leaning towards Boca.

So the Everglades…does that mean bad, more bugs? I've read lots of good things about Parkland, but not wanting to be near the Everglades is the first I've heard of that

Old 04-22-2014, 10:55 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,850,618 times
There is nothing wrong with being near the Everglades.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:21 AM

32 posts, read 52,445 times
Parkland and Weston, although they border preservation areas near the Everglades, are very well developed and spaced out. You will benefit from having much more privacy and less traffic to contend with. I live at the far West end of Weston, right by the entrance to the Alligator Alley, and very seldom have we had a problem of dealing with mosquitoes. Are they present? Yes (especially in the hot and muggy Summer months) -- but it's not an epidemic and we are as far West as you can get.

If you find yourself going to the beach often, then I imagine the proximity of Boca will attract you, but as another post mentioned -- Broward County as a whole doesn't suffer much from heavy congestion and rush hour traffic. The major expressway: (I-75 on the W/SW side -- Sawgrass Expressway on the W/NW side -- and I-595 which bisects the county from East to West) are a breeze at anytime a day. I-95 which is on the East side,.... yeah, not so much!

Old 04-23-2014, 08:16 AM

Yes, we are beach people so we need to be close. Good to know about the traffic. Thanks, ACast!

Old 04-23-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACast View Post
Parkland and Weston, although they border preservation areas near the Everglades, are very well developed and spaced out. You will benefit from having much more privacy and less traffic to contend with. I live at the far West end of Weston, right by the entrance to the Alligator Alley, and very seldom have we had a problem of dealing with mosquitoes. Are they present? Yes (especially in the hot and muggy Summer months) -- but it's not an epidemic and we are as far West as you can get.

If you find yourself going to the beach often, then I imagine the proximity of Boca will attract you, but as another post mentioned -- Broward County as a whole doesn't suffer much from heavy congestion and rush hour traffic. The major expressway: (I-75 on the W/SW side -- Sawgrass Expressway on the W/NW side -- and I-595 which bisects the county from East to West) are a breeze at anytime a day. I-95 which is on the East side,.... yeah, not so much!

I get zero mosquito bites when I go riding my bike late at night in Weston. The city is doing a great job controlling their population.

On the other hand, I was eaten by mosquitoes a couple of weeks ago when I stayed overnight in Lauderdale by the Sea. Go figure.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmerthy View Post
Yes, we are beach people so we need to be close. Good to know about the traffic. Thanks, ACast!
I am a beach person too. I try to visit the beach every weekend. Living in Weston doesn't slow me down. I can be in Lauderdale by the Sea in 30 minutes. Or in Sunny Isles in 40. 30 min to get to Fort Lauderdale beach too.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:32 PM

Thanks, ruski! Yes, I'm fine w being 30-40min away, but maybe because we've been living so FAR away from beaches for so long (lived in Raleigh, NC, beach about 1.5hrs away), he wants the beach to be in his backyard or close to it Backyard isn't going to happen, but 10-20min would be great!

Old 04-25-2014, 07:06 AM

21 posts, read 44,848 times
Nothing wrong with the Everglades I was just referring to the fact that you aren't near the beach at all

Old 04-25-2014, 09:51 AM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area