Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 8,657 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am moving from Wyoming to the FT Laud area. Trying to find a special school for my son who has ADHD and Aspergers. I'm a single mom and can't afford some of the schools that I have checked out (Access/Arrowsmith, American Academy, etc.). Does anyone know of any charger, magnet or otherwise AFFORDABLE special schools?

I am an LPN so will also be looking for a nursing job, although LPN's aren't paid nearly as much there as here in Wyoming. I am also a 911 Dispatcher, same thing. I would like to go back to school and get my RN, which I could get there in a year.

Any comments would be soooooooooooooooooo appreciated.

I am coming there next week (March 14 and 15) to check everything out so need referrals ASAP Thanks!!!

Penni Jo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 04:57 PM

30 posts, read 58,555 times
Well I can't speak from personal experience, but I wanted to comment because I am in a similar situation and will share with you what I have come up with so far based on the research I have done.

My son has sensory processing issues, they won't give him as Apergers diagnosis but has many of the same traits. He is in a mainstream class with an IEP for OT and some other services. I'm in Virginia but will be moving back to Florida this summer. I have been researching Broward county as a possible choice for relocation. Like you, I have seen some private schools that sound great but the price tag is hefty (I'm also a single parent). Although Florida does have something called the Mckay Scholarship, which basically means after your child is in a "public" school for 1 year with an IEP, if you want him to go to private after that time the state pays the $ amount it would cost them to have him in public school for each year. From what I've read, the $ amount goes up based on services in the IEP? So that is one option, which probably won't cover the entire cost of a private school for the year, but it would help.

I am just in the beginning stages of researching public elementary schools...trying to find parent reviews about different ESE programs etc. One poster also suggested I contact the CARD organization (Center for autism and related disabilities). They have several locations throughout Florida and he suggested contacting them to get reccomendations on schools from them. CARD Home. I am going to try and contact them this week.

Hopefully this helps!

Old 04-18-2011, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 16,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckinghorse View Post
Hello. I am moving from Wyoming to the FT Laud area. Trying to find a special school for my son who has ADHD and Aspergers. I'm a single mom and can't afford some of the schools that I have checked out (Access/Arrowsmith, American Academy, etc.). Does anyone know of any charger, magnet or otherwise AFFORDABLE special schools?

I am an LPN so will also be looking for a nursing job, although LPN's aren't paid nearly as much there as here in Wyoming. I am also a 911 Dispatcher, same thing. I would like to go back to school and get my RN, which I could get there in a year.

Any comments would be soooooooooooooooooo appreciated.

I am coming there next week (March 14 and 15) to check everything out so need referrals ASAP Thanks!!!

Penni Jo
If you find something please let me know. I'm in the same situation, but have come in contact with an organization that makes grants, donations and pledges for children in need of extra help. My daughter is 5 and showing the same signs. I may have some ideas for you, but would also like your input on research. Thanks

Old 04-18-2011, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 16,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastagal77 View Post
Well I can't speak from personal experience, but I wanted to comment because I am in a similar situation and will share with you what I have come up with so far based on the research I have done.

My son has sensory processing issues, they won't give him as Apergers diagnosis but has many of the same traits. He is in a mainstream class with an IEP for OT and some other services. I'm in Virginia but will be moving back to Florida this summer. I have been researching Broward county as a possible choice for relocation. Like you, I have seen some private schools that sound great but the price tag is hefty (I'm also a single parent). Although Florida does have something called the Mckay Scholarship, which basically means after your child is in a "public" school for 1 year with an IEP, if you want him to go to private after that time the state pays the $ amount it would cost them to have him in public school for each year. From what I've read, the $ amount goes up based on services in the IEP? So that is one option, which probably won't cover the entire cost of a private school for the year, but it would help.

I am just in the beginning stages of researching public elementary schools...trying to find parent reviews about different ESE programs etc. One poster also suggested I contact the CARD organization (Center for autism and related disabilities). They have several locations throughout Florida and he suggested contacting them to get reccomendations on schools from them. [url=http://www.centerforautism.com/]CARD Home[/url]. I am going to try and contact them this week.

Hopefully this helps!
If you find something please let me know. I'm in the same situation, but have come in contact with an organization that makes grants, donations and pledges for children in need of extra help. My daughter is 5 and showing the same signs. I may have some ideas for you, but would also like your input on research. Thanks

Old 04-19-2011, 10:30 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,539 times
Not to sound insensitive, but are there ANY kids out there these days who don't have some kind of label?

I will concede that austim and Aspergers are real (though over-diagnosed) but most of this stuff is ridiculous. ADD, ADHD, LD, Behavior Disorder, etc.

Newsflash: Kids like to act up; kids can be hyper; kids frequently don't pay attention in school; and kids often fail to grasp subject matter, especially if it is a topic in which they have no real interest.

That stuff can be frustrating, but it doesn't mean they have some disorder and need to be zoned out on medicine. It just means they're kids.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:45 PM

39 posts, read 110,601 times
There is a small school in Coconut Creek called The Randazzo School. They start at pre-school age and base their teachings on the montessori method and then there is an upper school that actually goes all the way to 12th grade.

Many of the kids have a variety of issues (ADHD, ADD, Autism, Aspergers and some are actually advanced). Some are on meds and some aren't. My daughter developed schoolphobia this past fall and I had to pull her out of her first year of middle school (it was a really rough time as school was never an issue until she began attending public middle school).

She settled into Randazzo nicely and although it is much slower paced, she is doing so much better. She is learning to deal with similar social situations but on a much smaller scale.

They accept the John McCay scholarship or stepup for students. While it isn't cheap if you're child is not eligible for the financial aid, in comparison to other private schools that center on various behavior/social issues or just other private schools in the area, it is reasonable.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:14 AM

924 posts, read 1,676,206 times
There is the Atlantis Academy. They have several locations including one in Coral Springs. I don't know anyone who currently attends there. It is very small, but small is generally cheaper. I think all their students have learning disabilities or mild emotional difficulties. The one child that I knew who went there a few years ago had a hearing impariment and mild learning disability. I know he loved it but I think he decided he wanted to go to a larger school once he hit middle school.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:28 AM

1 posts, read 6,001 times
Please help. I'm in Indiana. My step daughter has severe Autism. She is now 13 years old. Her father, mother & myself are looking to relocate anywhere that has affordable help for her. What state should we look into? Begging for help please

Old 12-20-2013, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,710 times
Default not here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaPennington View Post
Please help. I'm in Indiana. My step daughter has severe Autism. She is now 13 years old. Her father, mother & myself are looking to relocate anywhere that has affordable help for her. What state should we look into? Begging for help please
Hi, Florida is not the place. Have you found a state you are interested in? I hear Massachusetts, NJ and NY all have excellent public programs for children on the spectrum. Florida will make you crazy; many parents get out of the system because the education for special needs children is pitiful.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:47 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaPennington View Post
The public schools in FL are not great for anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area