Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 06:23 PM

16 posts, read 56,086 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about relocating to Coral Springs and have a couple questions regarding homes and hurricanes.

I read that homes build after 1996 and especially 2001 are supposed to be safe because of the new building codes.

Does this mean homes built before 1996 are more likely to get destroyed by hurricanes?

Is it even worth the time looking at those?

Also, is it better to live in Coral Springs (more inland) when considering hurricanes?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 05:11 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,657 times
Cool West of 95

My wife and I have been looking to relocate in the Fort Lauderdale area and found that the insurance rates are much cheaper west of 95......of course you have to remember there is a 2% deductible on the hurricance insurance so if your house is insured for 300K you pick up the first 6K......can get to be expensive if you get back to back storms...There is also a wind midigation report that is needed for insurance...

As far as the age of a house...when looking our real estate agent told us to look for a home less than ten years old since the building codes had been changed...my suggestion is when you find a house that you like...before you make an offer...find an insurance agent to see if the house is insurable...perhaps you should find an insurance agent first and then start looking......

Old 02-25-2012, 05:29 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureSDresident View Post
Hi everyone,

I am thinking about relocating to Coral Springs and have a couple questions regarding homes and hurricanes.

I read that homes build after 1996 and especially 2001 are supposed to be safe because of the new building codes.

Does this mean homes built before 1996 are more likely to get destroyed by hurricanes?

Is it even worth the time looking at those?

Also, is it better to live in Coral Springs (more inland) when considering hurricanes?

Thanks for your help!
It depends upon what time period before 1996. Homes that were built before 1975 are typically CBS construction (concrete block/stucco) and have successfully weathered storms year in and year out. The home I grew up in Hollywood was built in 1950 and never sustained more than minimal damage after 7 hurricanes, including Hurricane Andrew. "New Construction" got sloppy by the 80s building boom (lots of tape and drywall) which lasted until Andrew hit in 1992. As a result of the damage caused to homes built during that past decade or so, building codes were strengthened. The reason why older homes (pre-1975) have lasted so successfully? Roof pitch. Older homes don't have vaulted ceilings and increased roof pitch which makes for more resistance to wind. Newer construction has more pitch and as a result tie-downs/straps called wind mitigation are now used (post-1996) to anchor the roof trusses to the frame of the house. Some homes have had this process completed after the fact as well. Look for mention of wind-mitigation in the listing detail. It not only makes the home safer but offers a sizable insurance discount. In the end I wouldn't let it deter from your search as the wind mitigation process is not terribly expensive should you find the otherwise perfect home.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:13 AM

1,721 posts, read 2,784,482 times
My current house was in the brunt of hurricane charly. Its 72 construction Metal roof with roof / rafter straps. With window shutters your nit bad off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area