Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 11:58 PM

5 posts, read 8,743 times

Advertisements

Hi, Our realtor showed us some homes this weekend and we are trying to decide between buying a home in the Lakes vs. the Islands... (but are open to other neighborhoods too).
We are looking for a street where it is super young family friendly (we have a toddler) and walkable. Where kids play outside with each other and do frequent play dates in parks in homes.
Please let me know if either of these fits the bill or should I be looking elsewhere.
THanks a ton.

PS How valuable are water views vs. pools in Weston? Our budget is approximately 500k.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 05:47 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,834,659 times
A pool is soemething you can actually use... Since you have a toddler, make sure that the pool has baby fence. Or if you go with a water view, make sure there is a fence in the backyard.

Have you seen the pool complex in Savanna? (5 pools, including a water slide. The place looks like a resort) With a pool complex like that, you won't really need your own pool.
I lived in Savanna for 10 years and it was very young family oriented.

I think any Weston neighborhood is young family friendly. Even Weston Hills.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:57 AM

191 posts, read 318,061 times
My rule of thumb is that a pool is wonderful to have.

As long as someone else has to deal with the cleaning and maintenance...

Old 04-02-2014, 10:24 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,834,659 times
Also if you have a lake or a canal in the backyard, you will probably have mosquitoes.

Last 10 years or so, Weston has been pretty mosquito-free, the city did a great job eradicating them, but if you are on the water, you will get at least some mosquitoes.

Also you could get water moccasins from a lake. Not that you will definitely have them, but there is a chance.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:43 PM

70 posts, read 201,934 times
most communities in weston are very young family oriented. there are kids everywhere. it will basically depend on you and your attempt to socialize/befriend other moms.

both the lakes and the islands are very nice. the lakes has a community swimming pool so you don't necessarily need one in the home. also, if you have a toddler, it may be better NOT to have a pool for a while in your backyard. a little less worrying to do.. esp if the community has a pool.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:55 PM

62 posts, read 99,719 times
I'm thinking that you may want to consider not getting something with a water view if you have a toddler, and make sure that if it has a pool - a nice sturdy toddler fence around it. As the others mentioned, Weston is a very family friendly community. Please let us know if we can help further.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:10 PM

351 posts, read 461,338 times
Do you mean Lakes vs. Hibiscus Island? I'm asking 'cause I haven't seen anything in the rest of the Islands for 500k or less in a long time. I agree with everyone that the whole city of Weston is family friendly, but I prefer smaller communities since you get know more your neighbors and you have little traffic as well.

Hibiscus Island is a small community with a nice feel, but the size of the houses there can be easily outgrown if you are planning to have more kids. Also there are not many houses with pool in this Island. The Lakes on the other hand is at least 5x larger than Hibiscus Island with more spacious houses with pool, but again it's too large in my opinion. Both communities have a pool, but pools don't come free, the cost of maintenance is added to your association fee.

I personally prefer the pool vs. lake view 'cause "a view" is all you get with the "lake view" that cost more than a pool. I also have a toddler and can tell you that nobody enjoys more a pool than a toddler.

I'd also recommend to look in "The Springs". All of the Springs' communities are small and nice. I live in Sunset Springs and I can tell you, it's a beautiful and peaceful place to live. I'd also recommend you to try to find a house in a cul-de-sac if you want your kid to ride a bike or play outside without having to worry about traffic.

Buying a house is not as easy as it seems and there are a lot of things Realtors won't tell you, so don't submit offers like crazy. learn all you can about the community, about the street, about the neighbors, etc, etc 'cause you want to avoid any type of buyer's remorse later on.

Alex
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area