Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2006, 02:15 PM

12 posts, read 46,578 times

Advertisements

Will relocate from Brooklyn, NY on October 31st to Deerfield Beach. Would like to hear negatives and positives so we can be realistic once we are down there. We like the 55 and over community where our home is located.

We ride a 2005 Harley Electric Glide Classic. We are looking to join a HOG chapter once we are in Deerfield. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 03:41 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
I don't know about the east coast, but moving here from Wisconsin and the spouse being a former H-D employee, we were stunned at how few people rode on a regular basis, as we figured there would be tons more bikes on the road because of the weather.

According to the folks we have ridden with here, it's just too darned dangerous to ride in metropolitan areas. Most everyone we know will trailer their bikes to the interior of the state and ride there, where it's not only safer, it's a lot less congested. You could attribute this to the congestion as well as the number of retirees.

I used to have a branch office in Pompano, and everyone down there said it was too dangerous because of all the "blue hairs" (old people) on the road. They warned me to avoid anyone who was driving with the big black wrap-around glasses, as they just had eye surgery.

I was in Indiana a few weeks ago, and I saw 10 times the number of riders there in the few days I visited than I would expect to see in the Tampa area on any given day.

(I don't count the youngsters riding "donor bikes".)

RM

Old 10-01-2006, 05:08 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,640 times
You do have to watch out for the elderly people. They just don't pay attention to bikers. A number of bikers died down in my area within the last few years. I believe there should be a helmut law also.
Deerfield Beach is a great area. We have friends that live there. He rides his harley all the time along the beach area.
Good luck in your move!

Old 10-01-2006, 06:31 PM

12 posts, read 46,578 times
Default Harley Rider Deerfield

Morton R -

Are you in Tampa? We know we will have to watch out for the retired. We have been riding 10 years with only one accident - a couple of years ago. A car stopped short in front of us on the Verrazano Bridge in Brooklyn, NY and our bike went down. We weren't hit by any cars but we did get injuries. Were you to see what our helmets looked like after the accident you would understand why we will always wear helmets in Fla.

We are aware of watching for the elderly, even in New York City.

Bamboosmom - Thanks for feedback re Deerfield Beach area.

Shrimp

Old 10-01-2006, 09:45 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
I live east of Tampa, so the concentration of retired folks isn't nearly as high as it is closer to the beach, such as you might find in Pinellas County (St. Petersburg).

Traffic is a real problem here - it's becoming more and more congested every year. That's the real problem when it comes to riding.

As for helmets, well, I wouldn't get on a bike without one.

RM

Old 10-04-2006, 12:12 PM

14 posts, read 54,201 times
I live in Coral Springs (NW Broward) and you really have to pay attention. Too many people on cell phones, too many old people driving, and just too many people in general. You usually read about about a couple motorcycle deaths per month. Most of them are kids on the crotch rockets, but a large number are the Harley guys.

Worst part is hard to ride for more than 2 minutes without stopping or getting on one of the major highways (which really ups the risk).

I love riding, but it would be so much nicer in an not so congested area with more scenery.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:50 PM

44 posts, read 275,308 times
Default In the wind... in central FL

It's everywhere.......people of........all ages.......local/tourist.......just don't pay attention!!! I can say that almost every time I've been on the back of a HArley in Osceola county..........have had a close encounter. For me....the appeal is riding in the rural areas vs city/interstate. But, then you have to watch for hogs (4 legs), small deer, armadillos etc. Would be weary of rural areas after dark.
Personally, I can't wait to get to mountains in NC/TN and meet someone to ride w/there. The air is cleaner, the views are spectacular. To me, FL views are "ok". Just depends what you like.
Ride safe.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area