Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 01:50 PM

47 posts, read 169,725 times

Advertisements

I work for American Express.. I don't have an idea where this is located yet.. the physical address is 777 American Express Way... That Map is pretty cool, thank you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
I also would suggest you look at Lauderdale-By-The-Sea. The beach that is near the Las Olas area is very touristy. You are in the middle of action there -- Las Olas will be hosting a big Orange Bowl bash -- so if you like your night life in small, measured doses, I don't think you'd enjoy that area as much as others.

Another beautiful area that is quiet, but near nice restaurants and is close to shopping is Hillsborough Mile (the north end of Broward County -- north of Ft. Lauderdale). I had a client who lived in one of the co ops and it was so pretty and peaceful. She could open her door, walk about 200 or so yards, and was right on the beach. The zip is 33062. You didn't mention a budget in your email -- the rentals are between $2k and $3k a month.

This area sounds perfect! A little over budget, but 2k is doable.. 3k would be pushing it just a little... but I think being on the beach is going to be a bit spendy anyplace in FL.. Living on the coast on this side of the country is super cheap, way under 1k, even 5, 6, 7 hundred dollars for a nicer little home rentals. Buying is super cheap as well, however, you don't get the beautiful sandy beaches, warm clear waters, and warm sunny days.. 70's is warm for us.. and that's pushing it.. lol... Thanks again

Old 12-28-2012, 05:58 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,258,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy1011 View Post
I work for American Express.. I don't have an idea where this is located yet.. the physical address is 777 American Express Way... That Map is pretty cool, thank you..
I believe it is in Plantation off Broward Blvd and Pine Island road. Safe area and not that far from lots of other areas. If you will be working in Plantation then you might wish to look at condos for rent at Veranda which will be right down the block from work.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
I believe it is in Plantation off Broward Blvd and Pine Island road. Safe area and not that far from lots of other areas. If you will be working in Plantation then you might wish to look at condos for rent at Veranda which will be right down the block from work.
Thank you so much for the info

Old 12-28-2012, 10:05 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,840,874 times
Also check out Weston. It is not on the beach, but a very nice place to live. And not too far from 777 American Express Way

BTW, there is another American Express office/facility right in Weston.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:10 PM

153 posts, read 249,148 times
If I could offer some advice....think about finding a room mate situation, short term and learn your way around before you commit to anything. I came down all fired up to buy a place because I fell in love with Lauderdale after visiting a few times. I looked around at some homes while staying somewhere temporarily and the longer I stayed, the more I realized South Florida just wasn't a good fit. Nothing against the area...I just missed NYC too much and moved back. I think I'm replying because I was in the same situation of not knowing a soul when I got there, so I can sympathize. I plan on visiting again and often, but Manhattan works better for me. Best of luck.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:34 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,212,355 times
Nice area Mr. Lee is correct it is off Pine Island between Broward and Cleary I believe. Heavy traffic from my memory but has been 6 years. There are many apt. complexes in the area. Employer probably will be able to recommend one. You can hop right onto I-595 to go to the beach but it is a drive especially you like to go often.

Question is what kind of a commute you want as well.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicKaysen View Post
If I could offer some advice....think about finding a room mate situation, short term and learn your way around before you commit to anything. I came down all fired up to buy a place because I fell in love with Lauderdale after visiting a few times. I looked around at some homes while staying somewhere temporarily and the longer I stayed, the more I realized South Florida just wasn't a good fit. Nothing against the area...I just missed NYC too much and moved back. I think I'm replying because I was in the same situation of not knowing a soul when I got there, so I can sympathize. I plan on visiting again and often, but Manhattan works better for me. Best of luck.

Hmmm. RicKaysen, I have thought about that. seems like everyone has an "efficiency" for rent, is what I seem to be running into, although I wasn't quite sure what that was, until just recently.. but no stoves/ovens, and tiny, tiny living space, is mostly what I have been running into. I LOVE to cook and bake, and I really like "my" space.. BUT I do see what you are saying..
My biggest concern is that I can't meet with people in person, and I have never lived with anyone. I would preffer a small little studio over room mates, mostly for my safety; I really think of that first.
It's hard, unless I new someone down there, who knew of someone needing a roomy, then I would, but just kinda "blindly" going into it, I don't think that I can.. Thank you for your advice tho..

As far as not liking it in FL., I think I will love it. I have been on many business trips there..Well, to Jacksonville, Daytona, and Orlando, and had to stay for months. I have driven through Miami a few times. I know it's not the same as living there, but the Orlando area, and Jacksonville, is just
"not for me". I don't know, it just feels different to me. I feel further south is where I should be.
I really LOVE the warmth. I live in a town where it is always cloudy, rainy, cold, VERY COLD.. and I think it's time for a change for me. I can always come back, yes, but I don't think I will, not soon anyways...

The language barrier I hear about, well it should be ok.. I know Spanish, quite well, actually. And yes, there is a melting pot of cultures there, but that is what is so great about FL, Southern Florida at that.
People are people no matter where I live, and I just have to learn to adjust to any situation I guess.
Thanks again for your advice

Old 12-29-2012, 11:55 PM

73 posts, read 194,790 times
I moved to Las Olas 2 years ago knowing one buddy here. Visiting seemed fun, and after 60 days of looking, I bought a small 1BR Condo on 4th street behind Mangos on Las Olas. Living here now 2 years, I am growing weary of all the strange international tourists that frequent Las Olas Blvd. They walk around with complete disregard for stop lights, traffic signs, etc and few understand or speak any english. Homes closer to the beach in the isles are $2M and up, and high end condos here start at $400k. Plantation is dicey at best, and traffic is hellish at all hours. I looked at Aventura, around Turnberry Golf and some thing; expensive small condos. The areas north of Las Olas mentioned here is hit and miss. Galt Ocean Mile is clean and people are older - I'm looking there now but it's scary expensive. The L Ambiance Condo, I like a lot, but at $500k 2/2 condos hard for me to pull the trigger. People here seem aloof, even rude. I see trash on streets. Once I get up to north Palm Beach, things seem to get cleaner, people have better manners.

My advice is put in the time and loo around before you pull the trigger and stay.

Now I am kinda stuck. Saving for another move but not sure where.

Best of luck to you.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:51 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,258,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49_Retired View Post
I moved to Las Olas 2 years ago knowing one buddy here. Visiting seemed fun, and after 60 days of looking, I bought a small 1BR Condo on 4th street behind Mangos on Las Olas. Living here now 2 years, I am growing weary of all the strange international tourists that frequent Las Olas Blvd. They walk around with complete disregard for stop lights, traffic signs, etc and few understand or speak any english. Homes closer to the beach in the isles are $2M and up, and high end condos here start at $400k. Plantation is dicey at best, and traffic is hellish at all hours. I looked at Aventura, around Turnberry Golf and some thing; expensive small condos. The areas north of Las Olas mentioned here is hit and miss. Galt Ocean Mile is clean and people are older - I'm looking there now but it's scary expensive. The L Ambiance Condo, I like a lot, but at $500k 2/2 condos hard for me to pull the trigger. People here seem aloof, even rude. I see trash on streets. Once I get up to north Palm Beach, things seem to get cleaner, people have better manners.

My advice is put in the time and loo around before you pull the trigger and stay.

Now I am kinda stuck. Saving for another move but not sure where.

Best of luck to you.
You seem to be relating to buying condos and not renting them, which is a different world. Yes you are correct that area is expensive to buy but there are bargains to be found to rent even some of the larger homes off Las Olas have guest houses for rent on the property.

I have walked around Las Olas many times since we have a few friends who live there and have never experienced the things you seem to have experienced. My friends have lived in the area for over 20 years and totally love it, so different strokes for different folks.

Where to live is a hard choice but roads in South Florida are good so any place is a hop from work and I always find it is nice to at least start out living close by work to save time, fuel and wear and tear on ones vehicle and then branch out and find a place where to live once a person knows there way around.

Plantation is a decent neighborhood but does have a mix of people living in that area since there is a hospital right around the corner and shopping malls within blocks, so I think the op should at least look at the area and then work out from there. There are a number of rental complexes right on Broward Blvd just west of Pine Island and as you say all around that area, as well as condos for rent, so pretty easy to put in the zip code from where she will be working into yellowkeyrealty.com and see a wide choice of places to rent close to work and then work her way out from there.

I am now retired, so I live where my wife and I wish to but when working I always tried to live within 20 minutes of work and I would have been very happy if I could have lived right across the street but most times that was not possible yet it could be for the op if she wants to live close to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area