Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 09:12 PM

35 posts, read 72,822 times

Advertisements

Hi
~I was wondering if Broward county is a good place for a single mom like myself to live?
I'm a college student that will be transferring to Nova this fall if everything goes well and was wondering how it is like for a single mom to live there.

~Also, I was wondering, is racism is a big issue in FL? My son is half black, half white and he's only a baby now but I plan on settling down in south Florida so he would grow up there. I myself am AA and here in Connecticut, I have friends of all different races and nationalities. I don't see skin color when talking to people, I only see personality. Would most in Broward county feel the same? I know race issues are obviously everywhere, but is it a constant thing?

~Will there be a language barrier when talking to people? I only know English, I'm not any type of Caribbean so I can't speak those languages and I'm not any type of Spanish so I can't speak those and from when I visited FL before, I was constantly mistaken for both lol. (One min, I looked Cuban to one, the next I somehow looked Jamaican, lol)

~Where are some good places to meet people?

~Are there any areas to stay away from? I'm kind of a small girl and could carry mace, etc, but I still have my son to think about as well and would rather stay away from any area that could be trouble. I don't want to be seen as vulnerable or constantly be approached by sketchy guys.

~Bar scenes? I do like to drink every now and then but I'm not a "at the bar every weekend" kind of girl. I hear south FL is kind of glitzy which I don't think I'd mind because I love to shop.

~I'm sure the dating scene would be ok too?

~Are there a lot of interracial couples in Broward county? I like to date out of my race but wouldn't want to constantly run into racist close minded individuals either.

I've been to Fort Lauderdale before a few times to visit and loved it (The beach was awesome, so was the people to me but I'm a friendly person, the other drivers... not so much heh). But obviously, everything can become different once you live in a place. Any advice, tips, etc would be great. Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 09:53 PM

28 posts, read 166,009 times
Hi There
I'll try to answer your questions below

~I was wondering if Broward county is a good place for a single mom like myself to live?
I'm a college student that will be transferring to Nova this fall if everything goes well and was wondering how it is like for a single mom to live there.

Honestly, it is no different than living in any large cities. You as being a single mom will not encounter any issues as there are countless single parents around the this area!

~Also, I was wondering, is racism is a big issue in FL? My son is half black, half white and he's only a baby now but I plan on settling down in south Florida so he would grow up there. I myself am AA and here in Connecticut, I have friends of all different races and nationalities. I don't see skin color when talking to people, I only see personality. Would most in Broward county feel the same? I know race issues are obviously everywhere, but is it a constant thing?

South Florida metro (which includes Broward county) is extremely diverse, chances are, you will see more people like yourself than anything else. Your son will not have any issues being bi-racial as there are many bi-racial couples around this area. As a matter of fact it's quite normal and people don't even think twice about it! Having said that, there are ignorant people EVERYWHERE and broward is no exception but the chances that you will encounter racism based on you or your kid being different race, It's highly unlikely in this part of Florida.

~Will there be a language barrier when talking to people? I only know English, I'm not any type of Caribbean so I can't speak those languages and I'm not any type of Spanish so I can't speak those and from when I visited FL before, I was constantly mistaken for both lol. (One min, I looked Cuban to one, the next I somehow looked Jamaican, lol)

No, regardless of what people say (Out of frustration, me included ) you will not have to speak another language to get by, everyone speaks English..Now I think it's beneficial if you were bi lingual for personal and professional reasons, but you don't need to be that to live here.

I Highly suggest getting on meetup dot com and check out some of the groups that interests you. There is a large single parent group (If that interests you) where you can meet people..One thing personally I have found is that meeting people and creating long lasting relationship can be a bit tricky here, since this is a very transient area..not in a bad way but you would have to make the effort. Really it's not that bad at all. Besides if you are in NSU, you will make some great connections

~Are there any areas to stay away from? I'm kind of a small girl and could carry mace, etc, but I still have my son to think about as well and would rather stay away from any area that could be trouble. I don't want to be seen as vulnerable or constantly be approached by sketchy guys.

Go through this forum!!!! The advising members who contribute great information have some great tips that you may find invaluable in regards to the not so desirable areas, having said that just use common sense just like you would in any large city..Once you are here, you will have a good idea.

~Bar scenes? I do like to drink every now and then but I'm not a "at the bar every weekend" kind of girl. I hear south FL is kind of glitzy which I don't think I'd mind because I love to shop.

the choices are endless! Everything and anything you want, this is South Florida so I would have to dedicate an entire discussion to tell you about the bar scene etc...Check out the new times of Broward county to see what floats your boat

Again continuing what I wrote above, you really need to check out meetup to go to some of the events. There is a large South Florida Young Professional group that holds all kinds of singles event, besides I think you will have plenty of people to meet at Nova

~Are there a lot of interracial couples in Broward county? I like to date out of my race but wouldn't want to constantly run into racist close minded individuals either.

Again, this is NOT a racist area of the country ( i know kinda hard to believe since we are in the south) but honestly in my opinion no one would look at you twice if your date was from another race (maybe you'll get a few stares if they are purple or green but nothing serious )..

I've been to Fort Lauderdale before a few times to visit and loved it (The beach was awesome, so was the people to me but I'm a friendly person, the other drivers... not so much heh). But obviously, everything can become different once you live in a place. Any advice, tips, etc would be great. Thank you![/quote]

Driving SUCKS in South Florida period! Don't fight it just accept it! That's all I can tell you Be yourself, focus on what you come here to do (I.e. I am assuming study and build a good surrounding for your kid) and honestly make an effort to meet people,, in the end it ll depends on you, how you mold your life. You being a single parent I would strongly suggest trying to build a good support system with good friends and acquaintances around you, that way it will be much easier for you to settle. In this area, you will have to make an effort to create your own life like any other large metropolitan area, you will encounter jerks, nice people, great people, rude people..etc etc..so take it as it is and you will be fine.. Good luck to you and your child

Old 01-24-2013, 11:51 PM

984 posts, read 4,318,031 times
Very well said, I do agree with the poster above.

It's a good place, generally (although, as in any place, your quality of life will vary upon your housing/rental budget); but it does have its bad pockets - though definitely not as extreme as some neighborhoods of Miami (or even PBC) - and it's also cheaper than those two neighboring counties. Racism issues I believe are definitely below - if not quite a bit below - in the SoFL area than the country's average. I dated people of other races here - interracial couple - and never experienced any issues.

Areas that you should avoid (overall mainly due to crime that would be): West Park, Carver Ranches, the area around Sistrunk Blvd in NW FTL (the city itself), west and central Pompano Beach, most of Oakland Park, Lauderhill, Lauderdale Lakes and the area near I-95 (west of US-1) in Hollywood and Dania.

Last edited by JacobMAX; 01-25-2013 at 12:29 AM..

Old 01-25-2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla99 View Post
Hi There
I'll try to answer your questions below

Honestly, it is no different than living in any large cities. You as being a single mom will not encounter any issues as there are countless single parents around the this area!

South Florida metro (which includes Broward county) is extremely diverse, chances are, you will see more people like yourself than anything else. Your son will not have any issues being bi-racial as there are many bi-racial couples around this area. As a matter of fact it's quite normal and people don't even think twice about it! Having said that, there are ignorant people EVERYWHERE and broward is no exception but the chances that you will encounter racism based on you or your kid being different race, It's highly unlikely in this part of Florida.

No, regardless of what people say (Out of frustration, me included ) you will not have to speak another language to get by, everyone speaks English..Now I think it's beneficial if you were bi lingual for personal and professional reasons, but you don't need to be that to live here.

I Highly suggest getting on meetup dot com and check out some of the groups that interests you. There is a large single parent group (If that interests you) where you can meet people..One thing personally I have found is that meeting people and creating long lasting relationship can be a bit tricky here, since this is a very transient area..not in a bad way but you would have to make the effort. Really it's not that bad at all. Besides if you are in NSU, you will make some great connections

Go through this forum!!!! The advising members who contribute great information have some great tips that you may find invaluable in regards to the not so desirable areas, having said that just use common sense just like you would in any large city..Once you are here, you will have a good idea.

the choices are endless! Everything and anything you want, this is South Florida so I would have to dedicate an entire discussion to tell you about the bar scene etc...Check out the new times of Broward county to see what floats your boat

Again continuing what I wrote above, you really need to check out meetup to go to some of the events. There is a large South Florida Young Professional group that holds all kinds of singles event, besides I think you will have plenty of people to meet at Nova

Again, this is NOT a racist area of the country ( i know kinda hard to believe since we are in the south) but honestly in my opinion no one would look at you twice if your date was from another race (maybe you'll get a few stares if they are purple or green but nothing serious )..

I've been to Fort Lauderdale before a few times to visit and loved it (The beach was awesome, so was the people to me but I'm a friendly person, the other drivers... not so much heh). But obviously, everything can become different once you live in a place. Any advice, tips, etc would be great. Thank you!

Driving SUCKS in South Florida period! Don't fight it just accept it! That's all I can tell you Be yourself, focus on what you come here to do (I.e. I am assuming study and build a good surrounding for your kid) and honestly make an effort to meet people,, in the end it ll depends on you, how you mold your life. You being a single parent I would strongly suggest trying to build a good support system with good friends and acquaintances around you, that way it will be much easier for you to settle. In this area, you will have to make an effort to create your own life like any other large metropolitan area, you will encounter jerks, nice people, great people, rude people..etc etc..so take it as it is and you will be fine.. Good luck to you and your child
Thank you! Wow, definitely great info. I'll definitely go through the forum and do all the research I possibly can do. Yes, I will also eventually have a good support system in FL as well. I'm pretty glad I don't have to worry about racism and I appreciate the references to places I could meet different people. Thanks so much for the information, it helped me out a lot ^_^

Last edited by BronzeDoll; 01-25-2013 at 01:06 AM..

Old 01-25-2013, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobMAX View Post
Very well said, I do agree with the poster above.

It's a good place, generally (although, as in any place, your quality of life will vary upon your housing/rental budget); but it does have its bad pockets - though definitely not as extreme as some neighborhoods of Miami (or even PBC) - and it's also cheaper than those two neighboring counties. Racism issues I believe are definitely below - if not quite a bit below - in the SoFL area than the country's average. I dated people of other races here - interracial couple - and never experienced any issues.

Areas that you should avoid (overall mainly due to crime that would be): West Park, Carver Ranches, the area around Sistrunk Blvd in NW FTL (the city itself), west and central Pompano Beach, most of Oakland Park, Lauderhill, Lauderdale Lakes and the area near I-95 (west of US-1) in Hollywood and Dania.
Thank you for the detailed list of areas to avoid, I'll be sure to hold onto it I'm also glad you've never had a bad experience in interracial relationships, that's a good sign. So does Palm Beach County have worse crime than Broward?

Old 01-25-2013, 03:22 PM

984 posts, read 4,318,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronzeDoll View Post
Thank you for the detailed list of areas to avoid, I'll be sure to hold onto it I'm also glad you've never had a bad experience in interracial relationships, that's a good sign. So does Palm Beach County have worse crime than Broward?
Oh, no problem. And answering your question; overall it's only slightly safer, and it would vary a lot based on the specific area. But the issue there is that the extremes that exist there are worse than in Broward - there's places like Riviera Beach and parts in NW WPB itself, which are properly dangerous and unsafer than basically anywhere in Broward.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobMAX View Post
Oh, no problem. And answering your question; overall it's only slightly safer, and it would vary a lot based on the specific area. But the issue there is that the extremes that exist there are worse than in Broward - there's places like Riviera Beach and parts in NW WPB itself, which are properly dangerous and unsafer than basically anywhere in Broward.
I'm glad I know that now because I had no clue. Oh I have too much to learn but I'll learn it, I'm quite the researcher I'm sure I'll do fine. I've been looking into hurricane preparedness stuff too. Along with the seasons, summer all yr long, and things to do, etc lol.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:02 PM

179 posts, read 308,751 times
Certain parts of Palm Beach make ME nervous, and I've been through plenty of bad neighborhoods.

Like Jacob said...

Their extremes are just a bit more extreme.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:40 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronzeDoll View Post
You will be fine in either county, and to answer the last question, I would say it's about the same overall but with a catch. Broward has mostly areas with an "average" amount of crime, quite a few areas with above-average rate of crime and may not be great to live in but are not dangerous to spend time, a good amount of areas with very low crime and some pockets of high crime although these areas aren't any worse than elsewhere in the US. Generally the east side of the county,except for the beach, has a mixture of good, mediocre and bad neighborhoods that are sometimes very close to each other, while the beach and western areas are quite safe all around. I don't think there are more than five square miles in Broward County that are consistently bad, while there are much larger swaths that are consistently safe.

In Palm Beach County, you have a higher level of class polarization and the extremes are greater. Many areas have million dollar estate homes within a mile of neighborhoods that are scary in broad daylight. I would say the proportioning of good to bad is similar to Broward, but the really bad areas are scarier and the really good areas are closer to the bad ones. Still, large areas of Palm Beach County, such as Boca area and the north county, are pretty safe all around.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,172 times
I was born and have lived my whole life in fort lauderdale.. i dont think you even need to have concerns about racism.. Broward is very diverse. Places to avoid are definitely lauderhill, n. lauderdale, Oakland, etc.. Since you're a single mom I would suggest possibly cooper city. That's where I was born, raised and its a good place. My grandparents have lived in the same house 30+ years and have never been robbed or anything of the sort. My mother and her brothers were raised there as well as my brother and I, and our single mom never had to worry about us running around the neighborhood and running to the store. I personally can't wait to have children and raise them in cooper city so they can have the childhood I had. And most of the schools are very good.. My mom, uncles, brother and I all attended cooper city elementary and cchs and we all loved it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area