Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 07:55 PM

33 posts, read 54,568 times

Advertisements

I just came back from spending time with my friend, she lives in Dania beach .. about 40? mi south of Ft Lauderdale, she has lived in Switzerland and California and Germany.. and has traveled all over the world. She is extremely happy there.. can't imagine living anywhere else. This week, she told me she finds the walks along the beach sidewalk, like a meditation. I am facing a blizzard tomorrow in NY, and she sent me a sympathy email ! it is gorgeous there as I type this and I plan to move there myself in two years..need to sell my house.

I think a lot of what you are reading is.. the area of south Florida used to be much less densly populated. IT is hard for those people who lived there then.. to adjust to all the traffic, congestion and changes.. and let's face it, the climate is not the same as it was also. all it takes is one weather disaster to yourself or a loved one, to get traumatized. I'm trying to be careful where I move.. I, for example, am staying away from seashore, although..when good, who wouldn't love it? I never in a million years pictured doing this.. making a drastic change..
as for you ..and me, life is what we make it. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 11:09 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
But many people do not desire tropical climate over 4 seasons or even sub-tropical climate.
I'm assuming you gave me the rep point, and mentioned that Charlotte is more desirable than So. Florida.

Everything is relative. It depends on another person's perspective. Some people like Charlotte more, others like South Florida better. You can't say one is better for all people.

For me, I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to live in Charlotte, NC. I wouldn't even entertain the possibility of living there.

Yet, I'd entertain the idea of South Florida. Why? Because South Florida is more appealing to me. I actually like Haitians, Cubans, Brazilians, Europeans, etc, many of which you'd seldom find in Charlotte. I also like the beaches and ocean and vibe that is found in South Florida, that I couldn't find in Charlotte either.

In short, it's all completely relative. For you, it sounds like you aren't interested in those things, but you are more interested in cheaper and 'four seasons', etc. so therefore a Charlotte makes sense.

I am unsure of your need to argue your interest in Charlotte on a Ft. Lauderdale Forum however. Naturally, people who attracted to this forum, are generally here because they are attracted to Ft. Lauderdale, or live in Fort Lauderdale. The Charlotte Fan Club would be found on the Charlotte Forum.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:03 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Charlotte has its nice parts, for example Ballantyne. But the rest is meh to me.

If I can't live in South Florida, I'd rather go back to NYC.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:47 AM

35 posts, read 61,147 times
Cool Fun, Sun, Beaches and Culture -what's not to love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjoo View Post
My husband and I recently moved to Fort Lauderdale, and reading these threads is sooo discouraging I was hoping that there would be some glimmer of greatness or love for this state, but it seems like most individuals don't have much good to report...

Someone... anyone... please give me some hope that I'm not raising my child in a horrible place ;( Are there any redeeming areas with nice people?!?
I personally LOVE Fort Lauderdale. The weather is great, especially compared to other parts of the country, barring Cali, where it's nice year-round. But for about 8 months out of the year, you can't find a tropical climate with much better weather unless you live outside of the U.S.

I live east of the FEC tracks in Flagler Village and find that most of the people here are friendly, and if you're nice, they usually return in kind, just like any place you might visit or live.

There are quite a few places where you can go to experience Ft. Laud at it's best. From Las Olas, where it's more of an upscale place with lots of art galleries and several moderately priced to very expensive restaurants, one being YOLO - great place, but pricey.

If you go a little south of Las Olas, you'll find Riverfront, where it is at the moment and has been for a while now, a ghost town. But travel/walk just a block or two west and you'll find Himmarshee Historic Village. There are tons of bars and restaurants to choose from, and depending on your taste in music, most have live bands playing to draw people in at happy hour.

I suggest Off The Hookah for starters and great drinks and perhaps appetizers, then move on to other places which are right next to each other. Experience what you like and move on, or stay and find that perfect places to call home for the night of fun.

Then of course you have the Broward Performing Arts Center which is also in 'the village', as well as IMAX and the Discovery Museum if you have kids with you.

If you want to experience a bit more of a gritty yet fun artsy time, then head over to FAT Village where you'll find all kinds of artists with their open galleries on every last Saturday of the month from 9-12pm. It's a lot of fun, especially with performers on the sidewalks attracting attention from their talents. They also have food trucks that gather near 5th Street which are sure to quench any appetite.

There are other places to explore, and of course you have the beach, so do yourself a favor and check out a local website which has a lot of places where you find tons of things to do in the area which you can visit at My Fort Lauderdale. It's probably one of the best comprehensive sites that have a little bit of everything you can find in the city.

I've really enjoyed living here for the past 5 years, and found that not only are many areas having new residential developments going up, the atmosphere of the city (at least on the east side of the FEC railroad tracks) feel very safe and walkable.

I hope you find it as nice as I've found it to be!

Old 01-21-2014, 05:03 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm assuming you gave me the rep point, and mentioned that Charlotte is more desirable than So. Florida.

Everything is relative. It depends on another person's perspective. Some people like Charlotte more, others like South Florida better. You can't say one is better for all people.

For me, I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to live in Charlotte, NC. I wouldn't even entertain the possibility of living there.

Yet, I'd entertain the idea of South Florida. Why? Because South Florida is more appealing to me. I actually like Haitians, Cubans, Brazilians, Europeans, etc, many of which you'd seldom find in Charlotte. I also like the beaches and ocean and vibe that is found in South Florida, that I couldn't find in Charlotte either.

In short, it's all completely relative. For you, it sounds like you aren't interested in those things, but you are more interested in cheaper and 'four seasons', etc. so therefore a Charlotte makes sense.

I am unsure of your need to argue your interest in Charlotte on a Ft. Lauderdale Forum however. Naturally, people who attracted to this forum, are generally here because they are attracted to Ft. Lauderdale, or live in Fort Lauderdale. The Charlotte Fan Club would be found on the Charlotte Forum.

Ok, I was just curious what some of those advantages S FL would have over a place like Charlotte or Raleigh. First thing you mentioned was the Haitians and Cubans, etc., and also the beach vibe. I was thinking about things like jobs and economy, the people, education system, safety, etc.

I never really mentioned a place being cheaper mean that it's better.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:13 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
I always thought Charlotte was cheaper than South Florida.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:36 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
I always thought Charlotte was cheaper than South Florida.
Depends on what part of Charlotte.

Dilworth, Uptown, Meyers Park, are all as expensive or more expensive. Don't forget all the pro athletes and banking in Charlotte.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:39 PM

62 posts, read 99,657 times
I love South Florida! I actually live in Plantation myself, there are lots of parks in town and places to bring my child to play. Pools never close for the winter, nor do the parks. Some people are pretty iffy, but really - isn't that everywhere? :-) Hope you continue to enjoy South Florida, sad to see that people were disheartening you.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:02 PM

62 posts, read 99,657 times
@ComSense

Not saying Miami is better, but it's nice in the Ft. Lauderdale and I fear that you're overgeneralizing. Broward County is really nice, and is just far enough away from the less good and just close enough to have a great night out.

Any environment is what you make of it. We have all 4 major sports teams represented, a blending of cultures, and a laid back attitude. If you like it, great - join us. If you don't - find somewhere else. Kind of one of the nice things about this area is that you can do what you need to do.

State income tax being non-existent is also pretty nice.

Some of us don't like snow. It's great to visit snow, but I am not the 'shovel snow' type of gal...

Old 01-23-2014, 10:55 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I absolutely love Miami but it is not multi ethnic.

multiethnic (ˌmʌltɪˈɛθnɪk) — adj consisting of, relating to, or designed for various different races
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area