Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 01:23 PM

4 posts, read 4,858 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are relocating from the UK to Florida. We are both professional women in our 30's and are not looking for a "party" atmosphere...

We would like to move into an area that is gay friendly, with local shops, bars all within walking distance.

The top of our priceline would be about 300k

Can anyone suggest any areas of Florida that fit this criteria?

Thanks![LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 05:28 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,002 times
Are u serious?
Such a broad question for such a huge move and you want INTERNET advice ??? ..surely you have gay friends that can advise you.
And why are you leaving the UK in the first place?
You need to supply more details about what you want.. and a "gay friendly town" is the least of it!
If all you want is gay friendly move to NYC or SF!

Old 05-05-2014, 01:01 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times
The Wilton manor area of Ft. Lauderdale is a great option for you. It is exactly what you are looking for. Have a few gay friends that love it there.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Are u serious?
Such a broad question for such a huge move and you want INTERNET advice ??? ..surely you have gay friends that can advise you.
And why are you leaving the UK in the first place?
You need to supply more details about what you want.. and a "gay friendly town" is the least of it!
If all you want is gay friendly move to NYC or SF!
I'm sure you didn't meant to sound rude in your email...?
To answer your questions - yes I am serious
Yes, I would like internet advice which is why I joined this forum. I am also researching in other ways which I didn't believe needed to be described.
No, I do not have gay friends that know anything about Florida.
Why is the reason for leaving the UK relevant?

As my original message stated: We are both professional women in our 30's. Not looking for a "party" atmosphere. Want to move into an area that is gay friendly
Would like local shops, bars all within walking distance.
The top of our priceline would be about 300k

I'm not sure what else you need to know to give me a general idea.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
The Wilton manor area of Ft. Lauderdale is a great option for you. It is exactly what you are looking for. Have a few gay friends that love it there.
Thank you, we are actually going to visit WilMa at the end of the month to get a feel for it - I just wondered if there were many lesbians there as all the information I've managed to points to it being predominantly men

Old 05-05-2014, 10:13 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,500 times
If you are going to Wilton Manors, you may want to make stop by and visit or attend a social function at the Pride Center located down there. Pride Center At Equality Park of South Florida.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:12 PM

443 posts, read 896,095 times
I know a lesbian couple who live in Wilton Manors. I'm sure they aren't the only ones, but you're right, it's predominantly male.

You might also want to check out the Victoria Park area of Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:52 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,506 times
Check out the Las Olas area, zip code 33301 you will find some places in your price range and that area is very gay friendly as well as straight couples and singles.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:35 AM

438 posts, read 653,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigo View Post
it's predominantly male.
^this.

I haven't been near the Wilton Manors area in quite a while, but I know people who used to live there and I remember it as a place where mostly gay males live/hang out. It might be different now, but I wouldn't recommend that town for women. You can do better elsewhere in Broward---gay or not gay.

I agree with Mr. Lee. If I were looking for a walkable area with nice bars, restaurants, shopping, and professional people I would choose Las Olas over Wilton Manors. Las Olas is a much nicer area.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:16 PM

679 posts, read 878,221 times
There are lots of lesbians in Wilton Manors, but they're not walking around with signs that say "I'm a lesbian". I will concede there are more "obviously" gay men than "obviously" gay women there. I think you would really like it. I have friends who live in Wilton Station (a condominium complex) and you can walk to all kinds of shops and restaurants. The LGBT community is pretty cohesive and I'm sure you will make friends or at least people to help you get your bearings.

I know lots of people on this forum rave about Las Olas, but IMO it's overrated. Florida is just not a very walkable place. Las Olas is mainly eight or ten blocks of expensive restaurants and chain stores, with the occasional inexpensive chain restaurant and expensive jewelry store here and there. There is a wonderful Italian bakery called Pane e Dolce, and a fabulous eyeglass frame store called the Optical Spectrum, but that's about it. Every time I've been to Las Olas recently, it's been practically deserted. Aging, divorced men walking around with a hot woman twenty years younger in spandex and heels

And the person who asked you if you were seriously enquiring about this over the internet? Yes, he was intentionally being rude. Welcome to South Florida. While Broward County is pretty liberal, the majority of Florida is not. Stay in south Florida or the Keys and you'll be fine. The rest of the state is quite conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area