Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2014, 04:28 PM

33 posts, read 36,714 times

Advertisements

I'm beeen away from the area for a few years & was by the Palm Aire development west of Powerline & south of Atlantic today: what is going on with all the digging on one of the old golf courses? It looks like some one is digging up a huge amount of dirt and making lots of large ponds. I suspect it will be beautful when done but that sure is a lot of diigging on what looks like all 18 holes.

Anyone know anything?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 04:40 PM

111 posts, read 150,784 times
They are removing the unused golf course and adding lakes and open space.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:01 AM

33 posts, read 36,714 times
Thanks, is the assication paying for all that? If yes, good for them, must be very pricy.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:45 AM

111 posts, read 150,784 times
I'm not sure who's paying for it. A friend of mine's townhome backs up to one of the new lakes.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:27 AM

224 posts, read 229,078 times
The project has been contributing dirt for the new runway at FLL:

Trains and trucks to create hassles around Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood - Sun Sentinel

Quote:
As Fort Lauderdale airport grows, so do hassles for neighbors, motorists

July 21, 2012|By Ken Kaye, Sun Sentinel

Airport expansion might help meet future demands but for now it's creating hassles for thousands of residents and motorists.
For at least the next year, drivers on Interstate 95 will be dodging trucks delivering dirt to Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport— 980 times a day — for the south runway project.
Beginning Monday, motorists also will have to wait a few more minutes at rail crossings between Fort Lauderdale and central Miami-Dade County, because two extra trains per day will haul fill material to the airport.

Meanwhile, people living near the airport will be dealing with dust and noise, as 25,000 tons of dirt are unloaded each day.
"We're building a runway, and there are going to be regional impacts," said Greg Meyer, spokesman for the Fort Lauderdale airport. "We're doing what we can to minimize them."

Slow-moving trucks

The main problem: A fleet of fully loaded, slower-moving trucks will commingle with traffic on I-95, arriving from Pompano Beach north of the airport and central Miami-Dade County to the south.
Those from the north will connect with Interstate 595 and take U.S. 1 to Griffin Road. From the south, they will exit at Griffin Road and aim east to the construction site.
Meyer recommended motorists enter the airport by taking I-95 to I-595, and then heading east to the main airport entrance.
"If they do that, they shouldn't have that much contact with these trucks," he said.

The trucks started making runs to the airport two weeks ago from two rock pits: White Rock Quarries in Miami-Dade County and from a quarry in the Palm-Aire condominium complex in Pompano Beach, operated by The Ryan Companies.
Many pictures with updates here:

Palm Aire - Lake Project Community Update

Quote:
May 8, 2014

The lake project is nearing the close of the airport work. Hauling has slowed down but they are still selling to others in the market. Unless Ryan Construction was to obtain a large order we most likely will not see the high volume of truck activity again that we did for a portion of the airport work. The lake project is over 60 percent done with the material to sell. The seeding around lakes 1, 3A and 3B should start 3rd
week of May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area