Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 07:06 PM

13 posts, read 37,630 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to South Florida from San Diego California and I'm wondering how bad is the traffic if I live close to the ocean and have to work way west around Weston? Is it against the traffic or it is 02 ways busy traffic? Any thoughts?

And any other rush freeways that I have to be aware of it?

Thank you guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 07:12 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
595 has recently been completely revamped and redone... Traveling on it is a breeze. They have separate express lanes if you're willing to pay, otherwise it's 4 lanes west and 4 lanes east....

Traffic flows marvelously now that it's been completed.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:07 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Most people commute from Weston toward Fort Lauderdale in the morning, so your commute should be pretty smooth.

I-595 has been significantly revamped too.

But you won't be able to use the Express Lanes (which are awesome), because they flow from Weston to Ft Lauderdale in the mornings and vice versa in the evenings.

You can always use Broward Blvd as your backup route too.

Now getting from beach areas to the highway (before you can get on I-595) could be a small chore.

Where in Weston are you going to be working?

Old 07-28-2014, 09:14 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
I agree with Ruski that going from the beach to the highway could be difficult -- even more so during the height of the tourist season (winter and early spring months). You'll also see a drop off in traffic during the summer when we have fewer tourists and parents aren't carting kids around to school.

However, you not only will be dealing with traffic going west, which isn't as bad, but also traffic trying to get on the highways to go north and south. Also, although you would be going against traffic for the most part, you would still have to deal with anyone on the east side of town trying to go north or south on the Florida Turnpike -- that interchange on 595 can be problematic because you only go west a couple of miles or so before you hit that exit, and everyone is trying to either veer to the left to get out of the way and go west, or veer to the right to make the exit. That's where Broward Boulevard could be your friend as an alternate route.

A lot of the commute depends on the time -- if you are heading west during non-peak hours (8 am to 9:30 am) you'll see much less traffic overall.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:17 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
You won't tap the brakes the entire way on 595. Its a cakewalk. The problem will be getting to/from 595 from wherever you live on the ocean. If you live far enough south, you can take 17th street to US1, then south to 595. This route has minimal traffic. If you live further north, you may have to take Sunrise Blvd, Oakland Park, or Commercial to 95 south. The traffic on those routes can add 20 minutes to your commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area