Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 01:08 PM

5 posts, read 6,536 times

Advertisements

"Would a black couple and child be somewhat ok out there??"
I am black, as is my family (husband, two sons), so I'm going to address that question and some other general info.

I was a long term resident of Miami-Dade County until last year (Nov. 2013). I finally decided I could no longer justify staying put when my oldest son was headed to high school and there wasn't a single neighborhood high school in the north end of the county that I felt comfortable sending him to. He attended a magnet school for 1 year in Miami Lakes, and that was a disappointment.

I searched for the ideal suburb for my family for almost a year before deciding on Cooper City. We evaluated these factors, in order of priority (1. Public schools, 2. commute to downtown Miami, 3. community feel).

We were considering Weston, Davie (certain parts, west of University), and West Pembroke Pines. We went with Cooper City because there were no weak schools in the area, and because it was smaller geographically (all CC kids attend CCHS and Pioneer Middle).

We love it. There has never been a time when I felt unwanted by my neighbors, and there is enough diversity to keep anyone from feeling singled out. So far I have had a very good experience, and I do not regret my choice. I meet people all the time who have lived in the area for a long time, and they all have wonderful things to say. It is generally a very family oriented, middle (some upper) class neighborhood. We see a lot of families walking or biking, especially now that its starting to cool off.

Because we border Davie, most of our shopping and dining is done in that area, and again, we have felt very comfortable and welcome everywhere.

Good luck on your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 08:40 PM

62 posts, read 99,657 times
I like Cooper City quite a bit. Plantation really isn't known for the school system. However; there are some really nice homes out this way. Your best bets for school districts are West Davie, West Pines, Weston, Cooper City, and West Coral Springs.

If you have any specific questions on any of the areas, feel free to let me know. I've been a resident here for over 30 years and know Broward County like the back of my hand.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:03 AM

683 posts, read 853,452 times
I think it's safe to say period at this point that Broward is light years more diverse than Miami-Dade. How times have changed.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:31 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times
You will be fine anywhere in Davie!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area