Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 3,492 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

My wife and I relocated to Ft. Lauderdale from Houston about 6 months ago, and have been renting an apartment in the East Las Olas area. She is now pregnant with our first child, so we are looking to purchase something in the $350-$450k range.

The catch here is that we'll probably only be in South Florida for 3-4 years, so I want to ensure that we buy in an area where the market is stable and/or growing so that we don't end up losing money on our investment. School districts aren't a factor for us. We'd also like to be in an area that's walking distance to restaurants, parks and other entertainment. As an example, we've considered Victoria Park because we love the Las Olas area.

I've looked at all of the good/bad area threads and maps, but none are indicative of market stability, growth or "walkability." Does anyone have any recommendations?

Appreciate the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 03:00 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
i'd just rent.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:31 AM

3 posts, read 3,492 times
We've got a 60 pound dog. Most places won't rent to us

Old 12-30-2014, 09:15 AM

366 posts, read 517,432 times
pembroke pines west, weston, cooper city, edges of davie.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:56 PM

438 posts, read 653,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
i'd just rent.

I agree. If you plan to be in the property for only 3 to 4 years then buying is really not such a good idea---unless you're buying cash and not paying mortgage interest. Get liability insurance on the dog then you'll be in a position to negotiate rentals with landlords.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:39 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,255,171 times
No real estate market is a sure thing, IMO the markets in SF are booming now but still many foreclosures and short sales keep showing up for sale and even in high end areas and then on top of that if you already live in the Las Olas area then you can see all the new rentals going up, I feel too many of them for the area.

As for areas, Las Olas and the surrounding areas such as off 17 street or on the other side or US 1 and past Andrews seems to be getting better all the time, maybe try 33301, 33316, 33315 and then there is the area of Saw Grass Mills 33323 including the Davie and Plantation area 33324 south of there.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:36 PM

50 posts, read 77,237 times
Surprisingly, I saw a Craigslist housing rental ad with "big dogs welcome" this week... I guess that is someone who likes dogs but tires of yaping smaller ones. Keep looking landlords are more tolerant than you would think if you are responsible with your pet. Good Luck !

Old 06-17-2015, 04:46 AM

12 posts, read 11,636 times
real estate assistants are frequently underutilized and perform only limited duties when compared to the responsibilities outlined in their actual job descriptions.
for examine the full set of duties that a fully functioning real estate assistant should be performing, and how the role should be divided as real estate teams increase production and make additional hires in the future.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:14 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcham View Post
Hey guys,

My wife and I relocated to Ft. Lauderdale from Houston about 6 months ago, and have been renting an apartment in the East Las Olas area. She is now pregnant with our first child, so we are looking to purchase something in the $350-$450k range.

The catch here is that we'll probably only be in South Florida for 3-4 years, so I want to ensure that we buy in an area where the market is stable and/or growing so that we don't end up losing money on our investment. School districts aren't a factor for us. We'd also like to be in an area that's walking distance to restaurants, parks and other entertainment. As an example, we've considered Victoria Park because we love the Las Olas area.

I've looked at all of the good/bad area threads and maps, but none are indicative of market stability, growth or "walkability." Does anyone have any recommendations?

Appreciate the feedback!

Lol, typical South FL. LOL. In and out, in and out.

I wouldnt buy in Ft Lauderdale as an investment, I'd do whatever I can to not be "strapped down" so you can leave.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:14 AM

3,240 posts, read 3,198,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcham View Post
We've got a 60 pound dog. Most places won't rent to us
We rented our SFH on Weston to someone who has 2 60lbs+ dogs. Weston has no breed restrictions and although it's ground zero for HOA central, the HOA's usually have a two-pet limit. Of course, it's up to the individual landlord to set the terms on what they will allow but there are plenty of pet lovers among us. Keep trying and yes, I agree with everyone who said you should rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area