Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 07:07 AM

71 posts, read 142,511 times

Advertisements

I like where I live in So. Broward but unfortunately I am zoned for a not-so-good public school. I have tried to relocate boundaries twice through the Broward School District but my requests have been denied. I have not been that lucky with charter schools either (the lottery numbers are never in my favor).

I have heard and seen that other parents choose to go the easy route when relocating their kids to another public school and use a relative or friend's address to register their kid(s) at their desired location rather than to the assigned one by the county.

Have you used someone else's address to get your child in a school different to the one that the county district told you to go? Any advise you can provide will be appreciated.

- The law is changing but not sure how soon before I can choose any school anytime soon -

Senate Bill 1448 (2015) - The Florida Senate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 10:58 AM

191 posts, read 318,292 times
Well, technically it is illegal so all of this is hypothetically speaking.

A person could establish residence at a home within the zoned area you are interested in. The items needed to prove residence are listed on the Broward school's website. If you are able to provide that documentation, then you are all set. You can't just "use someone's address". You have to prove to the school's satisfaction that you do live at that address.

A word of caution - if you claim to be "renting" from a relative - the school system can then send that information over to the tax collector's office. Then the relative will have their homestead exemption in jeopardy. Will they do this? Who knows, but they are up front about the possibility of it happening.

Really though, I have had both my youngest and oldest kids reassigned from their zoned schools. All it took was actually following the proper procedure, then having a good argument to make when appealing the initial rejection. Relocating into a better neighborhood has thankfully eliminated the need to worry about it.

The senate bill you link looks good on paper, but really it's just blowing smoke. It allows transfers to schools not at capacity. Take a guess how many schools you would want your kids to go to aren't technically "at capacity"? At least in Broward it would allow for very little movement.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:06 AM

924 posts, read 1,679,734 times
I really think you should go through the right channels for school reassignment. If the school you want is not at capacity, you can get a seat that you don't have to worry about. Check the Broward County schools website for how to do this. They should have a list of schools accepting reassignment.

If the district finds out, you must withdraw the child immediately and re-enroll in the right school. There is no waiting until the end of the year or even the quarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
View detailed profiles of: