Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 01:56 AM

6 posts, read 7,192 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating between May-Oct, depending on when position with employer opens. I'd like to find an area that is walkable, with markets, shops, etc close by, family-oriented with plenty of kids and in a good school district. My daughter has ADHD, so I'm looking for a school with resources and excellent teachers that can provide accommodations.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 08:48 AM

351 posts, read 461,188 times
family-oriented with plenty of kids and in a good school district.
The best place in South Florida that meets the above criteria is Weston.

an area that is walkable, with markets, shops, etc close by
Weston is very walkable, but markets, shops, etc are not close by to everyone. I do live in Sunset Springs and I love where my house is positioned because I can walk to the town center, which has shops, markets, restaurants, dry-cleaners, banks, etc and I also walk to the strip-mall on Saddle Club and Indian Trace.

My daughter has ADHD, so I'm looking for a school with resources and excellent teachers that can provide accommodations.

Weston's schools are all A+ rated, so I'm pretty sure they will accommodate your daughter. My daughter graduated last year from Cypress Bay high school and one of her friends who has ADD, had to problems to graduate - they both love the Cypress Bay.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:17 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
It doesn't get much better than Weston.

Kid-friendly vibe draws house-hunters to Weston | MiamiHerald.com

But where exactly your employer located?

Two other areas with good schools are Parkland and Cooper City, but I am not sure if they have any walkability.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:36 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,461 times
Wow... Cooper City?

I HAVE been gone a long time... I left Lauderdale (born there in 1960 - Broward General baby!) in 1985 and Cooper City schools at the time were in horrible condition.... I'm glad that stat has improved.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:48 PM

366 posts, read 517,432 times
weston, west pembroke pines, cooper city, west davie. actually anywhere near weston lol

Old 03-26-2015, 06:46 PM

142 posts, read 439,804 times
Another vote for Weston here. Great schools, families everywhere, walkable is say it depend on where you live, but potential. Also depends are you wanting a city feel for shops or just suburb shops? Because Weston is pretty out far out west. But for schools, family friendly and super low crime, we chose Weston. (Also proximity to job as anything more north was just too far for my husband to commute).

Old 03-29-2015, 04:21 PM

My employer has offices in Plantation, Doral, and Miami...not sure which office I may be in. I visited Weston last year and liked it a lot, definitely keeping it near the top of my list.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:04 PM

6 posts, read 11,304 times
Weston, Cooper City, Parkland have great schools! When my family decided to move to South Florida we chose Weston. We don't regret. Weston is so clean, green and safe... Join us!

Old 04-05-2015, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,142 times
Default Parkland is a great option

I just relocated from East Fort Lauderdale to Parkland so that my children can grow up in a family oriented community, everything is very close, walk, bike. Let me know if you would like me to send you a link with more information. Thanks

Old 04-09-2015, 06:19 AM

Keeping Weston at the top of my list....any tips on a "village-type" neighborhood - cozy, kinda quirky. Areas like Glen Park in San Fran, Venice, or even downtown Charlotte (if anyone is familiar!). What is downtown Ft. Lauderdale like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area