Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 12:10 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I like the way you think.

It's amazing what we do for our wife and children. That drive might be just a bit much, in my opinion. Note that Google suggests the fastest route during busier times from the Isles is all the way out to US27.... then all the way up to 595 and around to Hollywood. That's a hike!! When you live here and tell someone you commute to Hollywood via US27, you'll make people faint. US27 is basically Texas with alligators in Broward speak.

I had to give up my beloved lake for a bigger yard, for the children. I still have a lake which has great fishing but it's useless for water sports. We have a big play tower, trampoline, and my little boy drives his electric John Deere tractor all over the yard. That was a big turn off for us in Weston, was the lots that offered no play space for the kids.

Get a few neighborhoods in your mind. Several in Weston like the Isles, but again, don't rule out Monterra in Cooper City or West Davie - Imagination Farms, Highland, Riverstone. At least to drive and check out. See how your commute would look, feel of the neighborhood, how close it is to the things you want to do like parks, jogging, stores, etc.

Realtors are not allowed to solicit on here, but you are allowed to contact them. It seems you may have found someone with a great feel of the area.

Well, US-27 is only 3 minutes away from Isles at Weston, via a sparsely used NW 36th St. I would go via US-27 if I had to commute to Miramar or Doral. I actually used to commute to Doral like that back in early 2000s.

But taking US-27 North all around Weston, to get on I-75 and then I-595, to go to Hollywood is a hike. I wouldn't listen to Google there.

The only thing about Not going via US-27 is that there are a couple of school zones to get through if you turn right as you exit from Isles at Weston.

But I would be taking south Post Rd to Bonaventure Blvd to Arvida Parkway to I-75. That's only 10 minutes before you are on the highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 12:19 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,636,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Well, US-27 is only 3 minutes away from Isles at Weston, via a sparsely used NW 36th St. I would go via US-27 if I had to commute to Miramar or Doral. I actually used to commute to Doral like that back in early 2000s.

But taking US-27 North all around Weston, to get on I-75 and then I-595, to go to Hollywood is a hike. I wouldn't listen to Google there.

The only thing about Not going via US-27 is that there are a couple of school zones to get through if you turn right as you exit from Isles at Weston.

But I would be taking south Post Rd to Bonaventure Blvd to Arvida Parkway to I-75. That's only 10 minutes before you are on the highway.
Just reading his note about Miramar not being any further than 40 minutes was important, it seems living somewhere where his main commute (Joe D) is 40+ minutes doesn't make sense. That's all I was pointing out. I could imagine him getting really sick and tired of that commute, fast.

Which is why Weston/Davie near 595 or Monterra seems sensible.

Why not rent a nice townhouse for a year to make sure it's the right area? Monterra has rentals and of course Weston has a ton.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:24 PM

48 posts, read 173,731 times
Again, thank you for your input. I totally agree with your reasoning, ruski. I would not want to rent a house I own if I was planning on selling it. In a perfect world, it would be great to have that sort of arrangement, but I understand it is utopia. I am indeed planning on renting a townhouse or small home first. My one struggle is trying to find a rental in the same school zone as where I think I want to buy a house. This way, I would avoid my 5 year old from changing schools multiple times. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and opinions about the area. Things are still evolving but at least I have ruled out living east of I-95, close to the ocean where safety and school zones are spotty. This has been a very productive chat. And I am grateful for all your inputs. In paper, Isles of Weston is my favorite community so far. We will see how it pans out once I actually visit the all the targeted communities in person.

This is what google maps gave me when I asked for directions:

from Isles of Weston, 3650 Isles At Weston Ave, Weston, FL 33326
to Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital, 1005 Joe DiMaggio Drive, Hollywood, FL 33021

35 min (25.0 miles)

Via I-595 E

-

• This route has restricted usage or private roads. (Confidential)

Isles of Weston, 3650 Isles At Weston Ave
Weston, FL 33326

Get on I-75 N from Bonaventure Blvd and Royal Palm Blvd

4.9 mi

Take I-595 E and I-95 S to FL-820 W/Hollywood Blvd in Hollywood. Take exit 20 from I-95 S

18.7 mi

Follow FL-820 W/Hollywood Blvd and N 35th Ave to your destination

1.3 mi

Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital
1005 Joe DiMaggio Drive, Hollywood, FL 33021

Old 04-01-2016, 01:44 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,636,107 times
That's a 25 Mile drive to work. 35 minutes and I'm guessing you didn't put the timing with traffic. As long as you are aware of the drive and ok with it, that's all that matters. It's an outstanding area for your family with great schools and may be well worth it to you.

I would note that it's about the same amount of time to get to the beach from that area. Not the end of the world.

You mentioned wanting to make sure you are happy working here. I know plenty of doctors, every single one of them is quite wealthy and very happy. I think it's a pretty solid area to be a doctor.

When will you be visiting? I'm super curious to hear your opinions once you actually check everything out.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:47 PM

I haven't decide when I am coming back again. I will let you know. Maybe at the end of April. I will definitely look into Monterra in Cooper City as well since it is half of the distance going to Joe D from there.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:50 PM

What could be easier than this?

There are very nice townhomes at the Courtyard Homes at the Grove. Owners rent them out.

All within a walking distance from all three schools (Manatee Bay Elementary, Falcon Cove Middle, and Cypress Bay High).

You also are very close to the Isles at Weston or The Ridges (another very nice gated community) and Weston Library and a nice little park.

Also from this corner of Weston, you are only 5 minutes away from I-75 via Griffin Road.

I live at the Courtyards at the Grove and it has been working out quite nicely for us.

Attached Thumbnails
Physician moving to work at Joe DiMaggio, Miramar Memorial and Memorial West-weston-se-corner.png  

Old 04-01-2016, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the info, ruski!

Old 04-03-2016, 07:13 AM

ruski,

Is there any of the communities in Weston that stands out as far as number of little kids and community gatherings/events? Thanks in advance for your time.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloMD View Post
ruski,

Is there any of the communities in Weston that stands out as far as number of little kids and community gatherings/events? Thanks in advance for your time.
Savanna and The Ridges

Savanna is the trick-or-treating mecca on Halloween. It seems the entire city wants to go to Savanna to trick-or-treat.

You need to see Savanna's pool complex:

Old 04-03-2016, 09:28 AM

3,240 posts, read 3,198,364 times
Yes, Savanna is the Halloween capital in Weston. We don't get too many trick or treaters in my development in Weston & many parents told me that their kids went with their friends in Savanna. Weston also has a weekly on line newsletter with community events, movies and classes for adults and/or children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area