Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 07:11 AM

49 posts, read 74,433 times

Advertisements

I can see from this thread that you've pretty much narrowed the search down to being out West, but before you decide, I'd just like to throw out one more area.... Emerald Hills. This little area is in central Hollywood just north of Sheridan Street and may have what you're looking for. There are mature trees, good Elementary schools and you could ride your bike to Memorial! The middle school is not so great, but most Hollywood kids end up switching to either private or magnet at that time. It is situated right near TY park and so super close to 95. Easy access to the beach & downtown.
It is much less "suburban" than the areas you've been discussing but still safe. The neighborhood is great for running and the park too.
Search the area from Sheridan Street north to Stirling and 95 west to 56th
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 10:29 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Which elementary in Emerald Hills is good? And this just rehashes what has already been said. Sure, you can find an area east with a good elementary school (I'm still not sure which one you are referring to), but who wants the mess when they get to middle/high school. You split your children and their friends up to send them off to a new school, etc. Why would anybody want to do that?

Old 04-10-2016, 01:54 PM

48 posts, read 173,689 times
Shellmitch, thank you for your suggestion. I have looked at Emerald Hills a bit. But as others have mentioned, there are certain intagiables in decent suburban communities that are hard to match (I can't believe I am saying this - I was a condo kid). Education and some what safety comes to mind. If I were single or didn't have little ones, it would be a no brainer... I would live as close to the ocean as I possibly could.

I have called a couple of charter schools, one in Hollywood and another in Fort Lauderdale. They sounded like it was very hard to get in their systems; and younger siblings are not grandfathered in. I also called some private schools and I was not impressed with the phone conversations I had with them. After some research, I just realized that in our case, as is with most families with kids, it would be less complicated to live in suburbia as opposed to a more urban area. Now, how happy will I be with a long commute and without the "glitters of a big city"? I don't know, only time will tell. But, that's why I will be renting first.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:57 PM

Does anyone know what time does the traffic around Manatee Bay Elementary get bad?

Old 04-10-2016, 06:26 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloMD View Post
Does anyone know what time does the traffic around Manatee Bay Elementary get bad?
I think it is 7:30 to 8:00 AM.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:27 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Shellmitch, thank you for your suggestion. I have looked at Emerald Hills a bit. But as others have mentioned, there are certain intagiables in decent suburban communities that are hard to match (I can't believe I am saying this - I was a condo kid). Education and some what safety comes to mind. If I were single or didn't have little ones, it would be a no brainer... I would live as close to the ocean as I possibly could.

I have called a couple of charter schools, one in Hollywood and another in Fort Lauderdale. They sounded like it was very hard to get in their systems; and younger siblings are not grandfathered in. I also called some private schools and I was not impressed with the phone conversations I had with them. After some research, I just realized that in our case, as is with most families with kids, it would be less complicated to live in suburbia as opposed to a more urban area. Now, how happy will I be with a long commute and without the "glitters of a big city"? I don't know, only time will tell. But, that's why I will be renting first.

You wouldn't find Emerald Hills any more "urban" anyway. It's not remotely urban feeling or close to any glittering city lights. In fact, probably less amenities around it compared to the western areas.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
You wouldn't find Emerald Hills any more "urban" anyway. It's not remotely urban feeling or close to any glittering city lights. In fact, probably less amenities around it compared to the western areas.
And surrounding areas...

I'd much rather have the Western suburbs' surrounding areas.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:35 PM

Sounds like if I leave by 7:15am I should be able to bypass the Manatee Bay elementary traffic. How is the current real estate situation in Weston? Is it considered sellers market now?

Old 04-11-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Sounds like if I leave by 7:15am I should be able to bypass the Manatee Bay elementary traffic. How is the current real estate situation in Weston? Is it considered sellers market now?
It looks like the sellers still think it is a sellers market, but they aren't what they are asking. Sort of a tail of a sellers market, but no dramatic shifts in either direction. I am observing regular downward price adjustments after the initial listings.

This Trulia market trend page gives a pretty good idea

Real Estate Market Trends for Weston, FL - Trulia.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:26 PM

Thanks for the link, ruski... one more reason for me to rent first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area