Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,099 times

Advertisements

I am originally from south america, i moved to south florida 5 years ago, living in miami, fort lauderdale and now davie i can only say people are miserable, unfriendly and rude here, awful drivers. most people have a long face. i agree with the posts nobody looks at you at the eye. misery likes the sun. i am just waiting to finish my master and get out from here meanwhile i want to try west palm beach i can't stand being in fort lauderdale anymore its very expensive all you get here is traffic and rude trashy people , later maybe i will go to orlando or tampa. i think people in other places can be rude but at least more happy here everybody seems angry and in a bad mood. Its contagious i don't say hi or smile to anybody anymore because i got tired of being nice and get rudeness back . i do agree that theres some nice people out there but there very few , but i think its a cultural thing because everybody is rude, aggressive and cold you have to become the same to survive. People here will only talk to you if they think your rich and you can give them money or a job or if they want to take you to bed. I do agree also with the comment about that people that are rude move here because they know here they can get away with it especially in the service industry. everytime i go to visit my country or go to the midwest i get surprise of how nice people are , i just think is just a cultural thing people are self absorbed here it might me sunny here but its like living in a refrigerator because 90% of the people are freezing cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 02:17 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
It is mostly from those who relocated from NY , NJ. Rudeness brought with them.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:19 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,421,534 times
I would try Jupiter, Juno, Hobe Sound, Tequesta, Stuart...

I've known several people who move to Ft Lauderdale/ Hollywood to escape West Palm!
I like some of the small towns in Lake County, etc too. Some people have this idea that that area is full of ignorant yahoos or something. The good outweighs the bad in many ways I think.

I'm still amused that Palm Beach county markets itself as some bastion of culture. Perhaps I should rephrase that- Palm Beach County is the only county in the entire state that has art museums, theater groups, etc. I'm being facetious of course.

I still hear that Orlando, Tampa, St Pete etc are overrun by country bumpkins or something (I know they're not!!). These comments usually come from former NYers who have never been outside of PBC except for Epcot or Disney.
I find that the west coast of the state has a very vibrant art scene that is not so stuck on itself.
Winter Park outside of Orlando is beautiful. Apparently the bad driving is migrating up there too, however.
If you're going to get somewhere in the arts you must still venture outside of Florida anyway, imo. That's why the cultural arrogance really cracks me up.

Good luck finding your happy place. Tampa/St Pete area has come a long way; more Midwesterners there too. The new St Pete Pier is going to be a happening spot!

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 05-24-2016 at 03:30 PM..

Old 05-25-2016, 12:08 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,636,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy 29 View Post
I am originally from south america, i moved to south florida 5 years ago, living in miami, fort lauderdale and now davie i can only say people are miserable, unfriendly and rude here, awful drivers. most people have a long face. i agree with the posts nobody looks at you at the eye. misery likes the sun. i am just waiting to finish my master and get out from here meanwhile i want to try west palm beach i can't stand being in fort lauderdale anymore its very expensive all you get here is traffic and rude trashy people , later maybe i will go to orlando or tampa. i think people in other places can be rude but at least more happy here everybody seems angry and in a bad mood. Its contagious i don't say hi or smile to anybody anymore because i got tired of being nice and get rudeness back . i do agree that theres some nice people out there but there very few , but i think its a cultural thing because everybody is rude, aggressive and cold you have to become the same to survive. People here will only talk to you if they think your rich and you can give them money or a job or if they want to take you to bed. I do agree also with the comment about that people that are rude move here because they know here they can get away with it especially in the service industry. everytime i go to visit my country or go to the midwest i get surprise of how nice people are , i just think is just a cultural thing people are self absorbed here it might me sunny here but its like living in a refrigerator because 90% of the people are freezing cold.

Smaller towns tend to have a much nicer vibe than larger cities. South Florida is urban, and you get the rudeness that comes with it. I just got back from Chicago, I thought the people there were generally leaps and bounds more rude than SoFla and the drivers were 10X worse there, too.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:30 AM

112 posts, read 124,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy 29 View Post
Hi,

I lived in the Jupiter/Palm Beach Gardens area and loved it. Quite and clean and nicer people.

Give it a shot.

I am like you and cannot stand it down here.

Moving to Colorado in 3 weeks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area