Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 07:04 PM

311 posts, read 451,251 times

Advertisements

Maybe all the kids who don't care should be separated from those who do care. Maybe we should allow bad or disruptive students to be expelled. Maybe we should have a "Sweat Hogs" school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 07:00 AM

191 posts, read 317,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
The way you help those kids is an uncomfortable proposition that the liberals refuse to accept. When you have a worldview that it's everyone else' fault... you become a perpetual victim and nothing gets better. That is how these neighborhoods operate. It's a cultural issue that will not be solved with political correctness and a refusal to admit the truth.
I don't disagree with the core of what you are saying, however I don't think it is solely a liberal problem. It's a society problem. Both sides of the aisle are more prone to make excuses than to seek out solutions.

I don't really fit a political pigeon hole myself. I'm liberal on some issues, conservative on others. What I certainly believe though is the participation trophy mentality that exists in today's society is one of the biggest issues we have to overcome.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:12 AM

191 posts, read 317,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeZoo View Post
Maybe all the kids who don't care should be separated from those who do care. Maybe we should allow bad or disruptive students to be expelled. Maybe we should have a "Sweat Hogs" school.

One of the biggest problems with today's educational model is that it is based on the concept of preparing students for college - rather than preparing them for life.

Not every student is "college" material. That doesn't mean that they can't be successful in life, and should be destined to work in fast food forever.

We should be doing more to train students who don't show the capacity, or desire to go on to college. Teach them a trade or a skill that they can use to get a job that pays more than minimum wage. Maybe being a mechanic or an AC repairman isn't glamorous - but those guys make good money.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:56 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralanprod View Post
I don't disagree with the core of what you are saying, however I don't think it is solely a liberal problem. It's a society problem. Both sides of the aisle are more prone to make excuses than to seek out solutions.

I don't really fit a political pigeon hole myself. I'm liberal on some issues, conservative on others. What I certainly believe though is the participation trophy mentality that exists in today's society is one of the biggest issues we have to overcome.

The participation trophy mentality is almost entirely leftist. As is the extreme and destructive political correctness.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:58 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralanprod View Post
One of the biggest problems with today's educational model is that it is based on the concept of preparing students for college - rather than preparing them for life.

Not every student is "college" material. That doesn't mean that they can't be successful in life, and should be destined to work in fast food forever.

We should be doing more to train students who don't show the capacity, or desire to go on to college. Teach them a trade or a skill that they can use to get a job that pays more than minimum wage. Maybe being a mechanic or an AC repairman isn't glamorous - but those guys make good money.

Very much so! This is why I follow Mike Rowe and the awesome work he does with Mike Rowe Works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area