Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 04:20 AM

240 posts, read 259,890 times

Advertisements

With all the new construction going up the last two years on Federal Hwy and the new monster Las Olas Condo being built now, what can we expect eastern Ft. Lauderdale and Las Olas will be in say five or ten years? Traffic has almost doubled since I moved here eight years ago. I'm concerned about the quality of life and being able to drive around without some wack job in a road rage episode. If the what seems to be uncontrollable growth continues at this rate I might just sell my house and my a little further up the coast ..... Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 05:02 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,234,233 times
With growth usually comes higher prices for property, so why worry about 5 to 10 years down the road, my way is to cross that bridge when the time gets closer.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
With growth usually comes higher prices for property, so why worry about 5 to 10 years down the road, my way is to cross that bridge when the time gets closer.
I understand, but thinking ahead and being ahead of the curve is a good thing. I don't want to wake up five years from now and be stuck in bumper to bumper traffic just to go to Publix. I'm already seeing more people every day, and more beggars and homeless not to mention the infamous drifters that love South Florida, here today, gone tomorrow types. Crystal balls don't exist, but if they did I would be be the smartest (and happiest) man on Earth

Old 08-15-2016, 06:06 AM

170 posts, read 188,210 times
It'll belike NE Miami-Dade. Decent commercial things like restaurants, shopping will geared to wealthier people, not middle class. Broward has better infrastructure (roads) than Miami-Dade, but your trafiic, traffic noise, and quality of life will decline. Your existing (current) properties will continue to attract whoever can afford them and will moderately increase in value with the market, but I strongly disagree that development brings extra price increases for existing homeowners. In Northeast Miami-Dade it has created some new pockets of blight since more lower income earners cluster and negatively affect markets in existing real estate, often very close to new developments. Miami has been a wet-dream for developers with little corresponding benefit to residents (schools, public parks, law enforcement, mass transit) from supposed increases in all these new tax dollars this new development was supposed to bring. I think Broward is run a bit more cleanly that Miami-Dade, but your county is at risk of the same phenomenon.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:31 AM

3,939 posts, read 6,674,178 times
I'm keeping an eye on this as my wife fell in love with the city and, naturally, is interested in moving there.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:27 PM

By not looking and dealing with this now, one can not be prepared and ready to sell or leave quickly, if necessary. I don't want to procrastinate and sit back and think what if. Before this new monster Condo in Los Olas and before all the cheap apartments on Federal that recently sprung up last year-- traffic, homeless and crowds were a problem back then. Las Olas boulevard is mostly a two lane road almost to the beach so where are all these new condo residents gonna go? How will the tiny streets around the Cheese cake factory accommodate all these new condo dwellers? The area in downtown Las Olas is already crowded with people and cars now, so what will happen when this monster Las Olas condo is finished? Thousands of vehicles and people will be packed in like sardines. Not a pretty picture!

Old 08-15-2016, 04:40 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,234,233 times
There is also a new condo/hotel going up next to Las Olas RiverHouse
100 Las Olas Under Construction, Set To Become Tallest In Fort Lauderdale
and other apartment complexes set to be built in this general area, maybe already time for the op to leave the area I am staying and will be happy to hopefully reap the profits on our property down the road. The idea about this area is, and has been, because it is walkable, and with more buildings comes more infrastructure, making it even better for us. one mans lemon is another mans cake.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:00 PM

16,979 posts, read 21,613,699 times
I was in Ft Lauderdale recently for a week. I grew up there in the late 70s-early 80's.

I felt uncomfortable when I was there. Starbucks on 17th Street Causeway, too many transient people (cruise ship workers/travelers), tons of traffic (foot, bike, moped, cars etc.) and I just felt an odd disconnect that I didn't know a single person within a mile or ten miles!

Old 08-15-2016, 06:09 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,418,479 times
I see now issues with this, if anything, this is a GREAT thing for the area!

Old 08-15-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
There is also a new condo/hotel going up next to Las Olas RiverHouse
100 Las Olas Under Construction, Set To Become Tallest In Fort Lauderdale
and other apartment complexes set to be built in this general area, maybe already time for the op to leave the area I am staying and will be happy to hopefully reap the profits on our property down the road. The idea about this area is, and has been, because it is walkable, and with more buildings comes more infrastructure, making it even better for us. one mans lemon is another mans cake.
Are you from the Philippines? If so, then if I were you then I would see Fort Lauderdale as a paradise. I have retired friends who live near Cebu and they like it but they also say it is almost like a 3rd world country. Where you came from and where you were raised determines what you think is a wonderful place to live. I suppose I see Tahiti the same way you see Fort Lauderdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area