Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,989 times

Advertisements

I'm a 23 yo Millennial college graduate considering a career move to Miami Gardens. But I want to live where I can have a great social life. So living super close to work is not the most important thing to me. What neighborhoods from the stretch between Miami and Boca Raton should I consider and how long a commute should I expect from your recommended neighborhood to Miami Gardens? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 05:21 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,255,171 times
For Miami information http://www.city-data.com/forum/miami/

and for Boca information http://www.city-data.com/forum/west-...raton-boynton/

My opinion of a great area in Broward would be the Las Olas 33301 area

For Miami you might wish to look in and around Aventura

Old 03-07-2018, 11:29 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,644,370 times
I lived in South FL for a year. It is not as ideal as might be perceived. I would recommend the I-4 corridor for the recent college graduates. The young FSU or UF alumni often move to that area for the first job.

South FL and Miami can be a major culture shock. It is also very expensive and has major "city" problems with congestion, economic disparity, cultural gaps, etc. Do you speak Spanish? Can you cover expensive drink tabs? Can you handle being stuck for 30 minutes to get about 2 miles during rush hour on the Dolphin Expressway?

Beware of Miami's realism...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVRBfEtpBuU

Old 04-02-2018, 07:06 PM

34 posts, read 39,064 times
I do not think Miami Gardens is ideal. Aventura was mentioned earlier. Brickell, Aventura if affordable. Broward county cities include Davie, Boca Raton, Downtown Fort Lauderdale.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:50 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,432,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I lived in South FL for a year. It is not as ideal as might be perceived. I would recommend the I-4 corridor for the recent college graduates. The young FSU or UF alumni often move to that area for the first job.

South FL and Miami can be a major culture shock. It is also very expensive and has major "city" problems with congestion, economic disparity, cultural gaps, etc. Do you speak Spanish? Can you cover expensive drink tabs? Can you handle being stuck for 30 minutes to get about 2 miles during rush hour on the Dolphin Expressway?

Beware of Miami's realism...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVRBfEtpBuU
This is spot on. I relocated from DC metro area to South Florida and I quickly discovered that this is by far one of the most challenging, most expensive, and rudest cities you will find in America.. So if you haven't made the move already, unless it's for a huge career promotion with a big pay increase, I would not recommend it..

As recommended by pp, if you are considering a move to Florida I would instead strongly recommend Orlando/Central Florida..

Old 04-22-2018, 05:56 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
As recommended by pp, if you are considering a move to Florida I would instead strongly recommend Orlando/Central Florida..
Which is also neck and neck with Miami in terms of income-inequality, suffers from an inadequate job market for college graduates, is seeing a similar "brain drain", also pretty much regarded as a feeble sports town (just the NBA bottom-dweller Magic and an MLS team) and has half the nightlife as Miami to name a few issues....oh, and it's over an hour away from the beach (when driving 75-80mph most of the way).

Old 04-22-2018, 06:17 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,432,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Which is also neck and neck with Miami in terms of income-inequality, suffers from an inadequate job market for college graduates, is seeing a similar "brain drain", also pretty much regarded as a feeble sports town (just the NBA bottom-dweller Magic and an MLS team) and has half the nightlife as Miami to name a few issues....oh, and it's over an hour away from the beach (when driving 75-80mph most of the way).
I am not sure where you got your data from.. Orlando is the fastest growing city in the state (for a reason) and is actually better positioned in all of the categories that you listed (with the exception of nightlife) than Miami.. Orlando has been frequently cited as one of the top up-and-coming cities for young professionals and millennials, more so than Miami..

Not to mention, I think its a commonly known fact at this point that generally speaking Orlando locals are significantly more communal, friendlier, and more welcoming than Miami locals.. Not sure how you can compare that either..

Old 11-06-2018, 04:54 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjfriedman12 View Post
I'm a local agent in the area and deal with a lot of people looking to relocate to South Florida. Especially Fort Lauderdale.
You are not alone.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:13 PM

59 posts, read 115,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
You are not alone.

Seems the post you quoted is gone. I was gonna snark at him that hes the one selling these houses in the ghetto to poor unsuspecting decent people only to have their cars burglarized and homes shot up by the regular drive-by shootings targeting the neighbors who are drug dealers... lol..

Old 11-13-2018, 03:11 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
I would not live in Miami Gardens nor would I attempt a Boca to Miami commute.

Agree with Brickell but keep in mind an entry level one bedroom is going to be close to $2000 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area