Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:55 AM

17 posts, read 63,479 times

Advertisements

Has anyone lived there? What can you tell me about the neighborhood? Seems like it is close to lots of things. Would this be a good neighborhood for a single 40ish woman looking to meet people and make new friends?

I'm thinking of renting in the area. Live in west boca now and just want to get closer to the beach. No kids, so I'm not worried about schools and things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 12:36 PM

19 posts, read 74,164 times
I live in Poinsetta Heights (the next "sub-division" north of Victoria Park). Personally, I think it's Victoria Park is nice area with its quiet neighborhood and limited thru-traffic. Yet, it is only 5 -10 minutes drive (~3 miles) from downtown. So, meeting friends for happy hour or weekends brunch downtown make for very short trips (I think it's a hassle to have to driving 30 min home after hanging out with friends). I would also suggest looking at renting an apt or condo (plenty of those for rent) along the River Walk. You can also look in neighborhoods just south of downtown as well - though I don't know much about them. Good luck!

Old 03-30-2008, 01:27 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,362,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida mortgage lady View Post
Has anyone lived there? What can you tell me about the neighborhood? Seems like it is close to lots of things. Would this be a good neighborhood for a single 40ish woman looking to meet people and make new friends?

I'm thinking of renting in the area. Live in west boca now and just want to get closer to the beach. No kids, so I'm not worried about schools and things like that.
I knew a guy who lived in Victoria Park. From my understanding it has a large, raging homosexual population. You should also look at rio vista (i think thats the name), the area just west of victoria park on the other side of federal hwy (I don't know the name of this place) it is in transition but up and coming.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:15 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,049,937 times
Victoria Park is a affluent, trendy and cool place to live with generally low crime. ALTHOUGH it has been in the headlines very recently due to repeated burglaries. Not sure if they ever caught the suspects yet. Yes......it does have a large gay population, but not as high as panty manors. Uhh, I meant wilton manors.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:33 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,897,443 times
They caught the burglar.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:20 PM

326 posts, read 1,452,888 times
Victoria Park is great for a single person or a childless couple. I say that because I lived there before children, but I had to move away because most houses are too small, they are essentially old cottages, vacation homes of 50+ years ago. The few bigger houses were above my price range. The neighborhood has a lot of charm, although it is being assaulted right now by the development of too many town house complexes. It is close to the beach, close to the mall, to bookstores, to Las Olas and its restaurants and cafes. It is a great place to buy in now that the market has gone down so much, maybe even to get a deal from a foreclosure. Because of its charm and because it is little attractive to families with children, it is a favorite area for gay couples as well as young couples.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:26 AM

17 posts, read 63,479 times
thanks everyone for the information. Victoria Park sounds like a nice place. I'm not gay, so as long as it's not overwhelmingly gay, it should be ok. I have gay friends, but I do want to meet some single heterosexual people to hang out with.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida mortgage lady View Post
thanks everyone for the information. Victoria Park sounds like a nice place. I'm not gay, so as long as it's not overwhelmingly gay, it should be ok. I have gay friends, but I do want to meet some single heterosexual people to hang out with.
I don't know how "gay" it is or isn't. I do know that park over there on Sunrise Blvd was a hot bed for homosexual activity at one point. I remember reading that in the paper. I also remember working at a mail carrier and we had a package for the victoria park club house or whatever this thing was called. Anyway, package was messed up and needed to be placed in another one. Friend of mine opens it up to find a calender filled with men doing ummm..... never mind, im getting the shutters again.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:28 PM

OK,

My wife and I walked through victoria park today. I will post pics later in that ft. lauderdale pics thread. Anyway, they have some very nice sized homes over there. Tons of 4,5,6 bedroom homes. Looked like they were newly built. So tons and tons and tons of for sale signs. I wouldn't buy over there still, at least not until the fore closure signs start appearing, thats when disperation will set in and people will be willing to be reasonable in their asking prices.

It is VERY pretty there, saw a lot of homes for rent too. I wouldn't suggest renting a home right now though. Had some apartment buildings too. Another place to look is on the west side of US1, just across from victoria park. A lot of townhomes, and condos already there or in the early construction stages. I would imagine, in another 2 yrs, that entire area will be swamped with town homes, condos and lofts. With not much selling, in another two years prices should be nice and right.

You are a rock throw from the downtown area, so you get the benefit of the clubs and restaurants on los olas. Just down on us1 headed north you run into your best buy, whole foods, block buster etc. Also further down on Sunrise you have the Galleria mall. This is a great, great location. Also to the homosexuals vs straight guys. I couldn't say I saw many homosexual couples there. Saw a ton of mothers walking their kids, a lot of latinos.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:46 PM

445 posts, read 1,682,868 times
Default beautiful place to live

There are many homosexuals in there but hey, they are everywhere and so what? The area is beautiful. On any given block there will be people you click with and people you won't no matter if you are married, gay, black, white , etc.

They have many home tours during the year in Victoria Park. There are award winning yards. While I have always been a WEST girl myself, if I were to look east, that would be the place to be.

It is close to many other areas and there are other places to meet like kind rather than your own backyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area