Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 01:22 PM

440 posts, read 517,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
You failed at Real Estate because you didn't sell any real estate. Its not anyone else's fault.

Agents at huge companies fail all the time and agents in tiny companies succeed all the time.

Sales, Especially 'selling yourself', isn't for everyone and apparently it wasn't for you.

get a 9-5 job, save 25% of your paychecks, live below your means, and before 2 years you'll be getting dozens of credit card offers again and your score will skyrocket.

What is it that they say about only ***holes assuming? I never wrote that I didn't sell any real estate, I wrote that I went into bankruptcy selling real estate. I sold several multi-thousand dollar properties but because of the shady workings of several brokerages I worked at here, I didn't get listings like I could have and any good real estate agent, and those conducting real estate seminars will tell you, it's about getting listings so you aren't spending the majority of your time and gas money driving tourists around on rainy days to see what the rich live in because they have nothing better to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 01:40 PM

Default Middle Class People Don't Work Hard?

Your post sounds like that of some Republican with blinders on. You are basically saying that anyone who isn't living in some nice home or apartment here doesn't work hard for a living. If you had read other parts of my initial post, you would read about someone who has worked hard to make a living here and is still doing so with the hopes of saving up enough money to get out of this rat-trap for the working and middle class.

Guess what bucko? The statistics show that the average worker making the average wage here can no longer afford most of the housing here with enough left over for food and the other necessities of life. So you're going to sit there and lord it over the facts and say that anyone who works hard can make a good living and live the good life here?

The statistics on poverty here don't support your, "theory."

How many days a week and how many hours a week and how many jobs and what kind of jobs do you think a person should work so they can afford one of those very small new houses being built and squeezed onto those small lots in West Wilton Manors that are advertising that they are starting in the "high $400,000" range on a very heavily trafficked street near a business where people sell their blood to make ends meet.

You really need to get a reality check about what it's like to try to afford to live here if you don't come here with some retirement fund under your belt or investments to live off of or rich parents you inherited money from or who put you through an expensive college.

With all the different languages you here being spoken in stores and restaurants by the patrons, you'd think that you would have clued into it by now that wealthy people from all over the world buy properties here which drives prices up and they also buy investment property here to rent out or sit on and sell once prices go high enough.

In your book of thought, someone only has to work hard for a living to have those same opportunities that wealthy people who buy properties here who come for other countries have who inherited wealth, who own factories in foreign countries who rake in the dough exploiting low wage workers and using child labor or who got their money in some other manner than actually working for it. You sound like some actor standing up there holding an Oscar telling everyone to follow their dream, even if that means their dream means owning a house in Fort Lauderdale when there isn't much of anything in the way of employment in this area that would support that dream.

You seem to be blind to the closings of several restaurants in the area that used to employ wait staff, bartenders, host people and the like and which are being replaced by ordering at the counter restaurants. Where would you suggest all the people that used to work in those places making a decent wage because of tips find a job that could provide an income for them to afford to rent or buy housing here? Do you have any idea how low the wages are at the Big Box stores in this area, that most of them don't hire full time employees and that most retailers did away with paying salespeople here commissions a long time ago?

Last edited by HotandHumid; 01-11-2019 at 02:00 PM..

Old 01-15-2019, 08:01 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotandHumid View Post
What is it that they say about only ***holes assuming? I never wrote that I didn't sell any real estate, I wrote that I went into bankruptcy selling real estate. I sold several multi-thousand dollar properties but because of the shady workings of several brokerages I worked at here, I didn't get listings like I could have and any good real estate agent, and those conducting real estate seminars will tell you, it's about getting listings so you aren't spending the majority of your time and gas money driving tourists around on rainy days to see what the rich live in because they have nothing better to do.
I sold several multi-thousand dollar properties

So technically a $25000 efficiency would be a multi thousand dollar property right? So even with a 2% split you would get a $500 commission.

so you aren't spending the majority of your time and gas money driving tourists around on rainy days to see what the rich live in because they have nothing better to do.

So why would you waste anytime with unqualified buyers? Why not ask for some financials to show they can purchase or even a mortgage qualification letter before the "rainy day tour" begins.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:18 PM

6 posts, read 6,042 times
I remember Ft Laud in the 1990's There used to be a billboard on Sunrise Blvd. at the City limits that said something like "Welcome to Fort Lauderdale - beware your life is at risk" I think it was put up by the police department because they needed to hire more officers. But there has been so much redevelopment since then and it seems a lot nicer than it was

Old 01-17-2019, 08:26 PM

835 posts, read 476,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Its ok..'haters gonna hate
You can’t deny the trade has some pretty slimy people in it, some I wouldn’t hesitate to call outright “scammers”

Luckily I do know a few honest realtors, that will tell you straight up if something is a good fit for one’s situation.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:58 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
I was on Las Olas this weekend. Saw more Ferraris than homeless people but I did think of this thread.

Stopped by a house for sale nearby that was listed for over 10mm, wonderful neighborhood and I suspect the nearby yachts were worth more than the houses!

Old 01-24-2019, 05:51 PM

Default Sitll Assuming I See!

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I sold several multi-thousand dollar properties

So technically a $25000 efficiency would be a multi thousand dollar property right? So even with a 2% split you would get a $500 commission.

so you aren't spending the majority of your time and gas money driving tourists around on rainy days to see what the rich live in because they have nothing better to do.

So why would you waste anytime with unqualified buyers? Why not ask for some financials to show they can purchase or even a mortgage qualification letter before the "rainy day tour" begins.
I never sold a $25,000 efficiency so where you get your reasoning from, I can only assume you've had some serious head injury in the past. I sold several properties in Hollywood in the high rises on the beach there and I can assure you, there were no $25,000 efficiencies in them.

How you got off on this tangent is really remarkable though. You really don't have anything to post about the high crime and poverty rates here that are facts backed up by statistics so why not give it a rest about what prices I sold real estate for? It has nothing to do with this post.

And for sure you can drive around in just about any city with a population of 200,000 permanent residents and find "nice areas" and there are lots of them here but most of them are not populated with the permanent residents of this area because the housing unit numbers here far outnumber the 200,000 who are residents here. Y

You'll find a lot of these buildings to be mostly vacant of year round residents and try as much as they can, condo boards still haven't been able to keep owners from doing short term rentals to tourists in "residential" buildings because most condo owners aren't going to pay the extra money in monthly fees to have the type of security staff and equipment on hand to check everyone coming and going from those buildings to make sure that only short time visitors and residents are staying in those buildings.

Just like Miami with it's "front" of expensive properties on the water in front of poverty ridden neighborhoods to the west, Fort Lauderdale has the same situation where the closer to the coast you live, the more expensive and "nice" the neighborhoods are, even though there are pockets of run down areas east of 1-95, especially north off of Broward Boulevard in the Sistrunk area and north off Oakland Park Boulevard near Andrews.

You really have to wonder what people some of the posters here think that poverty is supposed to look like. I guess they base it on movies where they see buildings are burned out, the homeless are warming their hands over trash burning in barrels and people walk around in long overcoats taking slugs from bottles of booze in their pockets.

No, you don't see that here and you'd be hard pressed to see a lot of that anywhere in the U.S. anymore as even many of the abandoned neighborhoods in Detroit have been razed but you see plenty of run down neighborhoods here where trash is thrown out of car windows and dumped on street corners near run down homes in need of paint, landscaping and repairs and people are packed into living in homes above the number who would normally live there.

I used to go to a couple of 24 hour laundry mats in "nice" areas that I've learned to avoid as they have become places where the homeless hang out at night drinking themselves to sleep and then getting themselves ready in the morning in the restroom to go to their jobs.

There used to be a local paper in called the Islander in Wilton Manors that used to report on all the crime and arrests in that "nice" area but it's closed down now. Most likely because the real estate businesses here won't spend to advertise in a newspaper that was telling it like it is by reporting on the multitude of crimes happening in the area instead of just reporting on the "spectatular" crimes that the local news stations like to cover to keep their viewer ratings up.

I guess some of the posters here would have us believe that the regular reports we see of store robberies, shoplifting, bank holdups, shootings, home burglaries, auto theft, etc., is just a day to day thing that goes on in most places but I've lived in cities before with populations the size of Fort Lauderdale and larger and never saw the statistics for crime be as high as it is here.

If you take the time to really look at the kind of low paying jobs that are available in this area of high rents and high property values that has been perpetuated by wealthy people from all over the world wintering here, it's easy to understand, although I don't find it personally an acceptable alternative, as to why so many are involved in crime here and why the poverty rate is still sitting at 20% here in a supposedly "booming" economy, which just sound like to me another myth perpetuated by real estate businesses here.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I never sold a $25,000 efficiency so where you get your reasoning from, I can only assume you've had some serious head injury in the past. I sold several properties in Hollywood in the high rises on the beach there and I can assure you, there were no $25,000 efficiencies in them.

How you got off on this tangent is really remarkable though. You really don't have anything to post about the high crime and poverty rates here that are facts backed up by statistics so why not give it a rest about what prices I sold real estate for? It has nothing to do with this post.

And for sure you can drive around in just about any city with a population of 200,000 permanent residents and find "nice areas" and there are lots of them here but most of them are not populated with the permanent residents of this area because the housing unit numbers here far outnumber the 200,000 who are residents here.

You'll find a lot of these buildings to be mostly vacant of year round residents and try as much as they can, condo boards still haven't been able to keep owners from doing short term rentals to tourists in "residential" buildings because most condo owners aren't going to pay the extra money in monthly fees to have the type of security staff and equipment on hand to check everyone coming and going from those buildings to make sure that only short time visitors and residents are staying in those buildings.

Just like Miami with it's "front" of expensive properties on the water in front of poverty ridden neighborhoods to the west, Fort Lauderdale has the same situation where the closer to the coast you live, the more expensive and "nice" the neighborhoods are, even though there are pockets of run down areas east of 1-95, especially north off of Broward Boulevard in the Sistrunk area and north off Oakland Park Boulevard near Andrews.

You really have to wonder what people some of the posters here think that poverty is supposed to look like. I guess they base it on movies where they see buildings are burned out, the homeless are warming their hands over trash burning in barrels and people walk around in long overcoats taking slugs from bottles of booze in their pockets.

No, you don't see that here and you'd be hard pressed to see a lot of that anywhere in the U.S. anymore as even many of the abandoned neighborhoods in Detroit have been razed but you see plenty of run down neighborhoods here where trash is thrown out of car windows and dumped on street corners near run down homes in need of paint, landscaping and repairs and people are packed into living in homes far above the number who would normally live there.

I used to go to a couple of 24 hour laundry mats in "nice" areas that I've learned to avoid as they have become places where the homeless hang out at night drinking themselves to sleep and then getting themselves ready in the morning in the restroom to go to their jobs. You'll usually find the "nice " people in these laundry mats throwing trash like dryer sheets all over the floor, leaving soda bottle and cans on the folding tables and generally leaving a mess where they found things previously cleaned up.

There used to be a local paper in called the Islander in Wilton Manors that used to report on all the crime and arrests in that "nice" area but it's closed down now. Most likely because the real estate businesses here won't spend to advertise in a newspaper that was telling it like it is by reporting on the multitude of crimes happening in the area instead of just reporting on the "spectactular" crimes that the local news stations like to cover to keep their viewer ratings up.

I guess some of the posters here would have us believe that the regular reports we see of store robberies, shoplifting, bank holdups, shootings, home burglaries, auto theft, etc., is just a day to day thing that goes on in most places but I've lived in cities before with populations the size of Fort Lauderdale and larger and never saw the statistics for crime be as high as it is here.

If you take the time to really look at the kind of low paying jobs that are available in this area of high rents and high property values that has been perpetuated by wealthy people from all over the world wintering here, it's easy to understand, although I don't find it personally an acceptable alternative, as to why so many are involved in crime here and why the poverty rate is still sitting at 20% here in a supposedly "booming" economy, which just sounds to me like another myth perpetuated by real estate businesses here.
By the way, the brokers I worked at didn't allow their agents to "qualify" buyers before showing them properties and that's why I left the business and filed bankruptcy because I didn't see any chance of getting ahead or even making a living in real estate here wasting what money I had left taking purported "buyers" on tours of area housing on the market with the commissions on made on selling properties in the $200,000 plus range.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:24 AM

835 posts, read 476,899 times
I know a girl here who is 21 and is a realtor with Coldwell Banker. They really have no barriers to entry and just about anyone can become one it seems.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:41 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
I didn't get listings like I could have.
Yes, because you sucked. Since you want to bash others as sounding "Republican" - I'll suggest you sound very entitled and Democratic. The brokers didn't give me listing... wah, wah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area