Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 07:43 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times

Advertisements

To the OP: have you looked at the Town Center area of Weston? I don’t know if they are apartments or condos but there is living space above the ground floor shops. Don’t know if the price would be within your budget though.

If you want to consider Palm Beach County, I would look at the “downtown” section of Abacoa. Same deal—shops downstairs and living spaces on top.

As an FYI, I used to live in Weston and several neighbors and myself worked out of the home. Development was North Lakes. A couple of us had desk jobs—one ran a pet sitting business. But it is all SFH’s.

Another thought is the Bonaventure section of Weston—the handyman we used lives there. Lots of condos.

Our lawn guy lived in Davie—a mobile home village. I know that’s not what you want, but maybe check out condos in or near downtown Davie.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 12:05 PM

21 posts, read 10,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connor35 View Post
I started my current business in Orlando, neighborhood originated in early 2000s, and currently live in Broward County, neighborhood opened in early 2010s. Registered with the city & county and paid taxes to both. This is my sole business, not some small side thing. My business was started using a local small business + real estate attorney and he never brought this up as an issue.

As far as your city not issuing a business address for your HOA, I'm actually surprised a city would care to learn each HOA's ordinance, even if you were next door. They get money every time they give a license. Heck most of your neighbors probably don't know the ordinance that well. Im sure the woman at the city's license office doesn't know which HOAs allow it & which don't.

But you asked do most HOAs. In my experiences Yes. I know lots of people in Orlando, and many guys owned their own businesses, like me, and it was the primary source of income. Not some little side business.

I feel like you're arguing with my lived experience. In my experience, it's not the least bit hard to find a place that allows it.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
To the OP: have you looked at the Town Center area of Weston? I don’t know if they are apartments or condos but there is living space above the ground floor shops. Don’t know if the price would be within your budget though.

If you want to consider Palm Beach County, I would look at the “downtown” section of Abacoa. Same deal—shops downstairs and living spaces on top.

As an FYI, I used to live in Weston and several neighbors and myself worked out of the home. Development was North Lakes. A couple of us had desk jobs—one ran a pet sitting business. But it is all SFH’s.

Another thought is the Bonaventure section of Weston—the handyman we used lives there. Lots of condos.

Our lawn guy lived in Davie—a mobile home village. I know that’s not what you want, but maybe check out condos in or near downtown Davie.

Good luck.

Weston's out of the budget, haha.

So do you think that everyone is checking out the actual rules of their own HOA's and considering whether or not to follow the rules at all......or just going ahead and having businesses in the home quietly and not worrying about it ?

Old 03-02-2020, 02:18 PM

141 posts, read 320,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idontbotheranybody View Post
So do you think that everyone is checking out the actual rules of their own HOA's and considering whether or not to follow the rules at all......or just going ahead and having businesses in the home quietly and not worrying about it ?
I think they're worth reading. Even if people 'let it slide now', you never know when someone is gonna start enforcing it.

It may also be worth asking an attorney. I'd question an HOA's legal authority to forbid you to work from your dining room table.

Totally understand the traffic concern. But can they police you doing off-site work, as your sole business, from your couch vs. playing video games from your couch? I question that.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:04 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connor35 View Post
I think they're worth reading. Even if people 'let it slide now', you never know when someone is gonna start enforcing it.

It may also be worth asking an attorney. I'd question an HOA's legal authority to forbid you to work from your dining room table. .
Great post

Old 03-16-2020, 02:20 PM

141 posts, read 320,351 times
I bet condo associations aren’t cracking down now! If they ever were.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:06 AM

1,640 posts, read 1,645,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idontbotheranybody View Post
Hi, I'm looking to own/rent/sublet a condo in Broward County, Florida from which I can legally run a home office type business in it. How does one go about finding a place like this?

There would be no visitors or clients to the business. Just me working at my desk in the unit.

Do you live in a condo community where these kind of home businesses are allowed per the HOA documents ?

Do you know of a knowledgeable realtor who specializes in condos and could point me in the right direction (to a condo community where home office business is allowed ?)
?

Any help would be appreciated.
First of all you have to disclouse exactly what type of work you want to conduct from home, because there are some shady areas inflicted in the phrase "business from home". Many people today take home their office work to be completed. There is no problem with that. I have business relationship with many HOA that I know due to my RE services. There are some condo buildings in Fort Lauderdale and Pompano Beach that have a "business center" for homeowners and tenants. If your "home business" only requires your cell phone and your laptop or I-pad without any other complication, you can conduct your business even from the pool cabana or roof top while sipping a Margarita or a Lemon Vodka Martini and no one have to give a damn about what your doing. I can put you in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area