Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 01:52 PM

278 posts, read 316,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfasano123 View Post
Hey! Were looking to relocate to Florida from New Jersey. Were still testing waters and doing a 30 day trip to check out the area. Im hoping someone can tell us some areas to look at. here is what she wants and what i want. Our budget is anywhere up to 900k and willing to build as well. My Brother is in Fort Lauderdale so i want to be close but not too close lol. He is near las olas so probably a 25 min ride to 1 hour is ok. Def want to be near water but MUST be a close nit town or area

She
charming tiny town
close nit
woodsy but not like red neck woods
no cookie cutter houses and development towns

Me
id like to be on or near the water
small to big town but i want a tight nit town to plant my roots
want everyone to know everyone
good schools(We have 3 boys under 6)
No cookie cutter houses
Close nit town in fort Lauderdale with good schools?

Weston and parkland.

Now there are parts of cooper, Davie, sunrise that will have tight nit neighborhoods. But an entire town? Really only the two I mentioned earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2022, 03:18 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out Cooper City or Davie, though neither is on/near the water. Otherwise for good schools, a sense of community and as having a more rural/non-cookie cutter feel, they work for you.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...uI%7BgC~%5CejA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don’t think you’ll find what you’re looking for with a $900k budget.

If you can stretch your budget, I’d suggest Lighthouse Point. But you’d have to stretch it quite a bit.

Facts are always useful versus some random assumption.

There are 23 homes for sale currently in Cooper City between 700K-900K.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-700000-900000

Old 10-28-2022, 03:38 PM

453 posts, read 301,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Facts are always useful versus some random assumption.

There are 23 homes for sale currently in Cooper City between 700K-900K.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-700000-900000
Yeah that's a good choice. The A schools seal the deal.

A couple of really pretty and large homes and options to do stuff in the community if say, you want to put kids in sports instead of depending on the limits of the barrier island which is not kid friendly really.

I like that the city goal states "strong sense of place". And good demographics. Younger ages.

Coming from Jersey the $850K is similar in price. The Aviary Dr and Buenos Aries are amazing properties.

I WILL caution the OP, I moved from the Jersey shore and wanted WATER.

I didn't buy on water and have regretted it for 15 years. HOWEVER when you have kids, the trade offs are different. Suburban is DEFINITELY better than island for many kid reasons and the beach is only a half hour away anyway.

Old 10-28-2022, 03:39 PM

451 posts, read 456,854 times
A bit over an hour traveling (80 mi.) but otherwise good fit would be Stuart or Palm City.

Old 11-01-2022, 10:02 PM

846 posts, read 682,980 times
If youre looking for:
charming towns
no cookie cutter houses
woods

Florida isn't the best place. It's a giant suburb.

The gap in price between NJ and FL has mostly evened out too. FL is no longer significantly cheaper.

And the education system in Florida, at least by the standards of the developed world, leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:34 AM

253 posts, read 190,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
If youre looking for:
charming towns
no cookie cutter houses
woods

The gap in price between NJ and FL has mostly evened out too. FL is no longer significantly cheaper.

And the education system in Florida, at least by the standards of the developed world, leaves a lot to be desired.
Great. So why are you here again? To troll the Florida boards?

Old 11-03-2022, 10:07 AM

453 posts, read 301,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
If youre looking for:
charming towns
no cookie cutter houses
woods

1. Ignoring that NJ has income tax and other issues. Topping off at 10.75% and 11.5 corporate AND local municipality income taxes on top of the state tax.

NJ $1692 per capita income tax rank 10
FL $0 per capita income tax

New Jersey’s tax system ranks 50th overall on the 2022 State Business Tax Climate Index.
Florida’s tax system ranks 4th overall on the 2022 State Business Tax Climate Index.

NJ 13.2% tax burden rank 45 (higher is worse)
FL 9% rank 11 (lower is better)

NJ 11.5% Corporate business income tax rate rank 50
FL 5.5% Corporate business income tax rate rank 4

NJ $3513 property tax burden rank 1 WORST IN THE COUNTRY
FL $1454 property tax burden rank 30 (higher is better)

NJ Gas tax .42 rank 5 (higher is better)
FL Gas tax .33 rank 11 (higher is better)

NJ 6.625% Sales Tax, max local 3.3, combined average 6.6% rank 30 (higher is better)
FL 6% Sales Tax, max local 3.3, combined average 6.6% rank 23 (higher is better)

NJ State and local sales tax collections per capita $1221 rank 23 (higher is better)
FL State and local sales tax collections per capita $1439 rank 15 (higher is better)

2. The cost of living is ABSOLUTELY more in NJ since it's always in the Top 10 HIGHEST IN THE MAINLAND COUNTRY no matter what happens in FL. Evidenced by NJ getting the highest COLA this time.

3. NO the gap in price hasn't "evened out". FACT not opinion: Cost per sq foot is always more in NJ. NJ Property Taxes are highest in the country.

While FL went UP and NJ remained the same, the median is still MORE IN NJ - by $75K.

As of August 2022, median sale prices were $407,000, per Florida Realtors data. (YES Miami was labeled the least affordable city in the nation for renters by a Realtor dot com - which is OBVIOUS and it always WAS outrageous for as long as I can remember.)

The median is $475,000 in NJ.

4. You are 1000% wrong about Florida schools official results as documented to you upthread.

While the real issue is how much of a state/person's income is spent on housing, that could be debated forever on the Great Debates thread.

And why in the world IGNORE the entire point of this thread. Don't move here if you're not EDUCATED about ALL the factors including the above. NOT JUST HOUSING PRICES. You can always get a roomate but can you always make up the difference in NO INCOME TAX?

BETTER advise for ALL potenial residents of any state is "Don't have kids till you can afford them and complete your education."

And lemme say for all you people DISPAGAGING what YOU'd call low-wage jobs...there are HUGE career paths in those companies. EVERY executive in McDonalds started out on the food line.

Have you a clue? Ever work in the grocery store industry? Excellent careers and benefits for a lifetime in the stores...even IF the salary isn't that of working in "tech".

WHERE do you think NORMAL people should WORK or even people with various abilities.

Last edited by huitrecouture; 11-03-2022 at 10:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area