Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Florida: fort Lauderdale best hotels, investing money, buy a hotel, opening a small business, foreclosure.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 07:58 PM

713 posts, read 2,672,152 times

Advertisements

I second Wilton Manors as it is a gay community and last I knew it was still well kept and thriving. You should be comfortable there and yes, there are pockets in any state that are holding their own and even thriving during the downturn. Best to get in while people who couldn't afford in the first place are leaving and real estate is low priced; be there and settled in for the upturn. Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,156 times
Default The only thing that keeps me form leaving la is the fact that I am gay

In la my being gay is not an issue, or at least not in the area I am in. This does effect my decicison making. Just last year, when I was in Savanah Ga and dealing with my mothers very sad death, I was gay bashed twice in one weak. I say bashed but was made fun of because I ordered a chardonae wine at a local sports bar. I ordered the drink and he said...." so the fella wants a glass of chardonae...."after I ordered it under his breath. I asked him politely if he was questioning my order and he said , I was talking to them, looking across the bar, but If you have a problem with what i said....and he came around the bar and started cussing me out. The manager saw this and pulled him off. I actually had played football as a teenager my coach was the owner of the bar/restaurant. The second event was when I was so weak with dealing with my mother being in intensive care for weeks, on a breathing machine and having problems with the drs even giving her anything for pain...I was tired depleated and in pain myself (I suffer from fibromyalgia and have had cronic pain since the age of 14) I went into the jacuzzi which was filled with a father and two teenage girls. I spoke and said hello. Anyway the girls started laughing so loud uncontollably, the father said, I am sorry. I just closed my eyes with no energy to do anything. Then the girls started reading the signs on the walls that tell of the risks of who should be in the jacuzzi. I hear the girls saying and if you have any diseases you should not be in here... like aids....I did what my soul told me to do, I said a silent prayer to god please take care of this as I cant and dont have the energy. Just as fast as I said the prayer they were gone. God work quickly. This is why I say I am gay and need to be in a certain areas. Yes there are prejudice people everywhere, and I know this is an insecurity in their ownselves that needs to be worked out. I just dont want to be around that ignorance. Yes In LA , Los Feliz, I never ever have an issue with being gay and infact some people like it. Yes, I am talking about staight people. I sell real-estate at an international firm and the fact that I was gay was brought up which I usually keep to myself. I have had remarks like, I want my agent to be gay, you have more taste and have more sensitivity which I like. Of coarse I dont agree with this remark and feel it is predjuced too. Just thought i would share. I know everyone has challenges in life but we do need to work on our own selves before we start judging others.

Last edited by kevincal; 07-14-2008 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Speling

Old 07-14-2008, 07:39 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,918,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincal View Post
Im la my being gay is not an issue, or at least the area I am in. This does effect my decicison making. Just last year, when i was in Savanah Ga nd dealing with my mothers very sad death, I was gay bashed twice in one weak. I say bashed but was made fun of because I ordered a chardonae wine at a local sports bar. When I askd him if he just made fun of me becuase i ordered a glass of wine, which he said so the fella wants a glas of chardonae...."after I ordered it under his breath. I asked him politely if he was questioning my order and he said , I was talking to them, oining across the bar, but If you have a problem with what i said....and he came around the bar and started curing me out. The manager say this and pulled him off. I atually had played football as a teenager and the coach was the owner of the bar/restaurant. The second was when i was so week with dealing with my mother being in intensive care for weeks, on a breathing machine and having problems with the drs even giving her anything for pain...I was tired depleated and in pain myself(suffer from fibromyalgia and have had cronic pain since the age of 14) I went into the jacuzzi which was filled with a ftaher and two teenage girls. I spke and said hello. Anyway the girls stated laughing so loud uncontollably, the father said, I am sorry. I jut closed my eyes with no energy to do anything. Then the girls started reading the signs on the walls that tell of the risks of who should be in the jacuzzi. I hear the girls saying and if you have any diseases you should not be in here... like aids....I did what my soul told me to do, I said a silent prayer to god please take care of this as I cant and dont have the energy. Just as fast as I said the prayer they were gone. God work quickly. This is why I say I am gay and need to be in a certain area. Yes there are prejudice people everywhere, and I know this is an insecurity in their ownselves that needs to be worked out. I just dont want to be around that ignorance. Yes In LA , LOs Feliz, I never ever have an issue with being gay and infact some people like it. Yes, I am talking about staight people. I sel real-estate at an international firm and the fact tht I was gay was brought up which I ususally keep to myself. I have had remarks like, i want my agent to be gay, you have more taste and sen sensitivity which I like. Of coarse I dont agree with this remark and feel it is predjuced too. Just thought i would share. I know everyone has chalenges in life.
I'm sorry about your mom, I know that experience is very exhausting.Yes, all my gay friends had aggravation (in their younger years) but in a group it's not so bad. You won't have that problem in Ft Lauderdale/Wilton Manors but you need to make sure you have income before moving to FL.

Florida is not famous for being extremely friendly but the rules that apply in that regard are usually different in a gay community so I hope that you find what you are looking for either at home or here.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:28 PM

214 posts, read 560,734 times
Quote:
In la my being gay is not an issue, or at least not in the area I am in. This does effect my decicison making. Just last year, when I was in Savanah Ga and dealing with my mothers very sad death, I was gay bashed twice in one weak. I say bashed but was made fun of because I ordered a chardonae wine at a local sports bar. I ordered the drink and he said...." so the fella wants a glass of chardonae...."after I ordered it under his breath. I asked him politely if he was questioning my order and he said , I was talking to them, looking across the bar, but If you have a problem with what i said....and he came around the bar and started cussing me out. The manager saw this and pulled him off. I actually had played football as a teenager my coach was the owner of the bar/restaurant. The second event was when I was so weak with dealing with my mother being in intensive care for weeks, on a breathing machine and having problems with the drs even giving her anything for pain...I was tired depleated and in pain myself (I suffer from fibromyalgia and have had cronic pain since the age of 14) I went into the jacuzzi which was filled with a father and two teenage girls. I spoke and said hello. Anyway the girls started laughing so loud uncontollably, the father said, I am sorry. I just closed my eyes with no energy to do anything. Then the girls started reading the signs on the walls that tell of the risks of who should be in the jacuzzi. I hear the girls saying and if you have any diseases you should not be in here... like aids....I did what my soul told me to do, I said a silent prayer to god please take care of this as I cant and dont have the energy. Just as fast as I said the prayer they were gone. God work quickly. This is why I say I am gay and need to be in a certain areas. Yes there are prejudice people everywhere, and I know this is an insecurity in their ownselves that needs to be worked out. I just dont want to be around that ignorance. Yes In LA , Los Feliz, I never ever have an issue with being gay and infact some people like it. Yes, I am talking about staight people. I sell real-estate at an international firm and the fact that I was gay was brought up which I usually keep to myself. I have had remarks like, I want my agent to be gay, you have more taste and have more sensitivity which I like. Of coarse I dont agree with this remark and feel it is predjuced too. Just thought i would share. I know everyone has challenges in life but we do need to work on our own selves before we start judging others.
Ok I know understand why you originally said you were gay. Dont worry about those other idiots who started with you, some people are just immature and would make fun of anyone who is not "perfect like them" Im not gay so I dont know what areas down here are gay friendly but Im pretty sure in Ft Lauderdale and in Miami is pretty open to gays. Most major city's are for the most part. Miami, NYC, LA, San Fran, etc. As long as your not moving to some place in like deep south Arkansas or Mississippi I wouldnt worry to much about being accepted in Ft Lauderdale, but then again there are always some jerks in any town or city who like to yell stuff or harass people that are different then them. Whether its color, race, looks, orientation, class of living, etc. There will always be immature jerks in this world. Just ignore them.

When I first got my drivers license at 17 years old in New Jersey I was a skinny kid bout 125 and I got out of the car to go in the quick mart, and there was a group of thuggish idiots all staring at me and one of them says, "yo how old are you? you drive? LOL you look like your 12" And all his friends started laughing

I was so pissed but more so embarrased.

Im 10 years older and have gained 50 lbs of muscle since then so Im not insecure anymore but jerks are everywhere, just live your life!

Old 07-15-2008, 04:51 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,968,493 times
Quote:

Unbelievable that people can be so nasty. It`s not so much different then being in high school and getting picked on, some people never grow up.

Did that bartender get fired? He should have he gets paid to serve drinks not attack someone because he is gay, maybe he needs to look at himself, for someone to get that angry over a gay person makes me wonder what that stems from.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:52 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,718,500 times
I would try to find any arty community - in S Florida those would include Delray, Miami and Hollywood Beaches - they are also the trendiest and priciest, but I think for you well worth the additional cost. It's interesting this arty trend even runs in high school. My daughter is a photographer and her guy friends are all in drama, film and music - most all of whom are openly gay - nice that now 16 year olds can be open about it - 30 years ago they would all have been in the closet down here until their 20's when they only then would have found the right community. Btw, East Davie is becoming known for its burgeoning lesbian community - odd, but true - there are about 3 lesbian bars on Stirling east of University now, and the recent houses that have sold are all to female partners. Not artsy (at least not yet), but I guess kind of raw and still cheap.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:59 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,928,533 times
Hollywood Beach is actually probably the cheapest beachfront in SE Florida right now, but truthfully I'm not surprised about east Davie.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:10 AM

600 posts, read 2,263,010 times
The market here is really iffy right now, but many investors are scooping up bargain priced properties. The problem I can see is that we don't know if we have hit the bottom yet. I'd hate to have you buy, then lose another 25% of value in the next few months. Also, before you buy, get an insurance quite. You will be shocked at the insurance costs here on rental properties. I'd say astronomical, to say the least. Wilton Manor is estimated to be 40% gay, so you may be better off there if you plan on ever living in your rental property. You can walk to all the bars and clubs on Wilton Drive and it's pretty safe there, even though yesterday somebody spraypainted "***" and "gay" on a few houses and a car there. It was an isolated incident being blown way out of proportion by the news channels. Personally, I'd wait 6 months to a year, or when you see that home prices have leveled off, because right now they are still in a free-fall and dropping weekly.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:18 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,650,194 times
Exactly Edinson Winter, I agree with you totaly. Is not necesary to say at first " I am gay"
Business is business in USA territory and when one is about to invest in Real Estate either residential or commercial properties, everyone has the same right !
I am a professional Real Estate agent and when a customer comes to my service my priority is to serve, guide and assist a human being no matter his/her/theirs race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual preference.
I hope Mr KevinCal understand that being gay does not make him better or worse than the rest of the humankind, specially in the 50 states of USA . If Kevin wants to be gay that his business and not the business of the agencies personel that will asists him with the investment.

And this is for Kevin: Please Kevin, you do not have to hide your preferences , you live in a free country and in a society where everybody is equal in rights. Just be yourself and do not make yourself "I'm gay" an issue upfront because is not an issue and that is not the point.

Thanks, Angel

Old 08-20-2010, 07:42 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,650,194 times
But besides all I wrote above, Fort Lauderdale area is very atractive to gay communities that live here full time and gay visitors from other US areas as well from some othe countries.
As a Real Estate agent I cannot steer when dealing with a buyer-investor in Florida by Law ( that applies nationwide also)
I suggest Kevin that research about gay demographics by zipcodes in the Internet and their points of interest. He can also check with some gay publications in the area online. Once he decides what's the area of Fort Lauderdale he wants to invest , then contact a realtor and ask for properties information in the area and availability. A true professional realtor never will steer based on color, sex, religion, sexual preference, national origin. We are licensed and we have to comply with the Laws and regulations.
Good luck Kevin !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area