Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:55 AM

7 posts, read 15,636 times

Advertisements

Agree/disagree
73. Weston, FL
78. Coral Springs, FL
98. Miramar, FL

For the record, Texas had 13 in the top 100 :S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 10:17 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,888,179 times
Looks about right to me since this one was in the "small city" category.

I'm glad I looked at the criteria and they omitted retirement heavy cities, where I wanna be LOL. Thanks for the info.

Best places to live 2008 - FAQ and Sources - from MONEY Magazine

Old 07-15-2008, 10:23 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,890 times
Miramar ?!?! Haaaahhaaa. That has to be the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life. MIRAMAR ? Are they serious !!! lol lol lol lol

STAY AWAY FROM MIRAMAR ! Yes...even west of I-75.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:39 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,556,580 times
These Money Magazine articles have always been a joke. It seems like they just randomely pick cities.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:53 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Yes...even west of I-75.
Why west of 75?

Well Miramar has made the list twice...don't you work for Miramar? If you worked for any city you would see the worst of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
These Money Magazine articles have always been a joke. It seems like they just randomely pick cities.
True to a degree. I think most of the cities they pick are decent places to live but there are a lot of decent cities and the methodology is questionable. For one, I'm still trying to figure out their "racial diversity index" which shows Davie as being more diverse than Weston.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Miramar ?!?! Haaaahhaaa. That has to be the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life. MIRAMAR ? Are they serious !!! lol lol lol lol

STAY AWAY FROM MIRAMAR ! Yes...even west of I-75.
Well, it was number 98

I was wondering why on paper, Miramar looks safe...

Going by city data 2005:

Income: 57,941 (higher than state)
Home value: 287,800 (higher than state)
Percent living in poverty : 8.3%
Crime Index: 301

These stats are much better than even Vero Beach where I live and we have nothing bad here.

Maybe it's a very high end exclusive enclave boosting the numbers there?

Old 07-15-2008, 11:01 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Miramar doesn't have many very high end exclusive enclaves. It just has a new part to the west and an old part full of section 8 housing east of University like every other Broward city. Socioeconomically similar to Davie except Miramar is predominantly black (although there are a lot of ethnicities there including a lot of Asians for this area). The biggest problem with Miramar is 1. Sherman Circle and 2. the areas that are really really close to the Dade County/Miami Gardens line and full of crime for that reason because they "look" nice compared to the other side. Pembroke Pines/Cooper City/Weston/Davie etc are a good deal safer because they aren't so close to the border and a good distance from any really "bad" areas like Miami Gardens. There are iffy areas to the east of these cities, even within their city limits, but they aren't really chaos and they are mostly east of University Dr.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Why west of 75?
I'm still trying to figure out their "racial diversity index" which shows Davie as being more diverse than Weston.
I noticed Davie has a Black race percentage of 1 point over Weston in the 2005 city data charts. This study prolly has some wierd weighting method for diversity.... since technically Hispanic is less of a "race" driver than Black. That would probably account for the 5 point difference.

You're so competitive, [compliment] I predict you'll be a mayor someday!

Old 07-15-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Miramar doesn't have many very high end exclusive enclaves. It just has a new part to the west and an old part full of section 8 housing east of University like every other Broward city. Socioeconomically similar to Davie except Miramar is predominantly black (although there are a lot of ethnicities there including a lot of Asians for this area). The biggest problem with Miramar is 1. Sherman Circle and 2. the areas that are really really close to the Dade County/Miami Gardens line and full of crime for that reason because they "look" nice compared to the other side. Pembroke Pines/Cooper City/Weston/Davie etc are a good deal safer because they aren't so close to the border and a good distance from any really "bad" areas like Miami Gardens. There are iffy areas to the east of these cities, even within their city limits, but they aren't really chaos and they are mostly east of University Dr.

Thanks. Maybe we have plenty of crime incidents here too, that I'm not aware of but our index is slightly higher so it's gotta be somewhere. Time to read the police blotter, my favorite.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:26 AM

Got it...I think....maybe they chose three cities by ethnic vibe... (ethnicity or race or whatever the PC term you chose is)....

...Coral Springs Non Hispanic Caucasian influence, Weston Hispanic influence, Miramar Black influence.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area