Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 03:58 PM

55 posts, read 302,184 times

Advertisements

What do you all know about Sailboat Bend? Is it a nice/safe neighborhood? Decent for kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 04:50 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,708,307 times
Yes, nice and fairly safe...it's not a suburb in the tradition of Weston, but it depends upon your tastes - I'd prefer Sailboat Bend - I have no idea what the public schools are like in that area, however it is commutable to Pinecrest, known as one of the best private schools in the country.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:09 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorsmom View Post
What do you all know about Sailboat Bend? Is it a nice/safe neighborhood? Decent for kids?
that is a negative. Have a friend that lived over there. Told me drug dealing, break ins and such are common over there. Actually we have two friends that lived over there. We would go see one of them every so often. There are government housing projects in this area as well.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:55 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,708,307 times
I swear, I think this may be one of the neighborhoods that Wild Style is keeping to himself (my other guess is Rio Vista) hoping that values crash further from his trash-talking so he can get in for a steal...LOL

Btw, he took some beautiful pics of houses in there up in the Fort lauderdale pics thread above. If you like this area and want to go a bit more upscale than this, look at Victoria Park. An area that's less expensive with the same charm is Shady Banks. Once again though, schools may be an issue...but I bet the people are great in all 3 places. These are all downtown neighborhoods that will have a tremendous re-resurgence as people move closer downtown from the suburbs.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:59 PM

With everything I have read on here lately, I am convinced that we need to rent for a year so I am looking for a rental now. We still need to sell our house in NC which apparently is a much easier proposition than in Florida!

Old 07-22-2008, 07:05 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Quote:
With everything I have read on here lately, I am convinced that we need to rent for a year so I am looking for a rental now. We still need to sell our house in NC which apparently is a much easier proposition than in Florida!
They are all fleeing Florida because of the rude people. Just make sure that you can take it moving from Charlotte, which has NO RUDE PEOPLE.

No but really, I have to agree with both of fauves posts. Also, the elementary schools in that area may very well be decent. Some of the neighborhoods fauve named are zoned for Bayview Elem. which is one of the best in the whole state, there are also other decent elementary schools in the area. The middle schools are horrific at best although Ft. Lauderdale High is rough around the edges but has it's act together for an inner city school. Stranahan High is a mess. You would probably want to go the magnet school or private school route after elementary.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:10 PM

fauve

you cheeky so and so. No man, seriously, I swear, there are government housing projects on broward blvd. right across from the coffee shop, star bucks. This is right in the front part of sail boat bend. Also if you do a search for sex offenders some come up in Sail Boat bend AND they have a half way house for druggies back in there. I know this place well, two family friends lived over there (both have since moved). My friend lived in the house right across the street from those government housing projects. He said break ins were rampant. Just walking around there you can tell its sketchy and you do see homeless through there too. Also, in Sail Boat bend a group of whites in a car where nice enough to scream out "black people suck" in front of my 5 yr old son. I thought that was really cool of them. So yeah, Sail Boat bend isn't one of the neighborhoods I am up on. You are WAY off in umm longitutde and latitude as to where my secret picks are. I will say they are in south florida though lol.

Ok I am not going to say where MY neighborhoods are. But I will say, if I were to wait it out down here and remain in Broward. Rio Vista and Victoria park would be on the short list for darn sure. But again these are not my top picks but top five easily. I will also say, that area (rio vista) before you get to the finger islands is in DEEP doo doo. The for sale signs over there are every other house EASILY. I can imagine a lot of those people are probably over extended. My wife took a picture while we were on a photo shoot outing in Rio Vista with a row of for sale signs. I think next week we might take another trip there to see if anything has moved. I highly doubt it though, things are just getting worse.

Not to beat a dead horse but the thing with sail boat bend is, that place is really peppered with high and low end. As the economy gets worse and cities cut back on things like patrol cars, things could deteriorate over there. You don't want to buy in a place like that and it go to the dogs while you and your family are just starting to snuggle in.

Quote:
We are looking to move from where we are now to another area in Broward. Rentals are actually going down. We looked at a four bedroom in Miramar that was just 1900 a few months ago and its now 1600. Found one that was 1600 in Coral Springs a few months ago and its now 1400 a month. People are moving out of broward and places are hurting so its a good look for those left behind.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:13 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Sailboat Bend are the cleanest housing projects I have ever seen. Good to see you have a plan if you get stuck in this pit of hell cesspool!

Old 07-22-2008, 07:16 PM

ok, ok, you've convinced me....I'll stick to Davie, Weston, Plantation and Cooper City.

I just need a "cheaper" rental in case it takes forever to sell our home and a safe neighborhood because my hubby will be here in NC for awhile before he can move down there.....this all is based on the assumption that I get a job from one of my interviews next week!

Old 07-22-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Sailboat Bend are the cleanest housing projects I have ever seen. Good to see you have a plan if you get stuck in this pit of hell cesspool!
cleanest housing projects? Umm I don't know about that. I have been through out many projects (mostly in NYC) and it seems average to me, just not as grand a scale as NYC projects though. I guess you have to actually get out and walk around there to see how it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area