Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 06:51 PM

4 posts, read 30,731 times

Advertisements

hello, what is the safest town to live in broward county? I am looking for a place which has a very low crime rate, is suburban, and is not too pricey with apartment renting.Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 06:54 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,713,503 times
Weston -

population: 43654 + 1

Old 08-10-2008, 01:46 PM

4 posts, read 30,731 times
is Davie kind of like Weston?

Old 08-10-2008, 02:34 PM

Weston is a planned community (all built within the last 20 years), while Davie is much larger and a conglomeration of many different neighborhoods, some suburban, some rural and some run-down (not unsafe, but older). I wouldn't describe either city as unsafe in any area.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:50 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
Davie has plenty of unsafe neighborhoods. How about down by El Jardin Dr? That looks like Opa Locka there. Granted, Davie is huge, and the county-wide University Dr barrier applies.

So to answer your question, any town west of University Dr. The least pricey area that is ideal to rent in as a single or childless person is Sunrise, especially the Welelby area. Check it out, you would probably save a couple hundred dollars a month over similar place in Davie or Weston. You are paying for the schools in that area. Plantation is another area to check out, but remember,west of University.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:26 PM

Really, plenty? I don't know El Jardin Dr. I'll have to map it. But, there's not an area in Davie that I wouldn't feel safe enough to walk around in or feel a need to lock my car doors in. Then again, I am a New Yorker - my idea of safe may have a higher threshold than yours. Or maybe I just haven't been to the seamy corners of town. Who knows? Of course, by your definition, I live in one! And, btw, for the umpteenth time Compelled, East of University between Stirling and Griffin is nice. Nice enough for 3 realtors to come and tell me to list my house for between $800k and $900K, even in this market. Between Davie Rd and University North of Griffin there are a ton of affordable rentals that house the students of the 5 colleges in the area. These may not be "family" areas, but the OP hasn't mentioned anything about a family. Expense and diversity (see his other post where he is concerned that there are hate crimes against blacks in Davie - another popular misconception) seem to be important issues to him as well as safety.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Really, plenty? I don't know El Jardin Dr. I'll have to map it.
What part of Davie are you in? If you aren't too far, take the time to go down Davie Rd southbound all the way to the extension. When you get towards the bend, make a right at any one of those side streets. Make sure to lock your car doors and enjoy. You could also do google streetview if they have it.

I just did the streetview, and check out that little strip mall at 75th terrace. That looks straight out of NW Ft. Lauderdale or Deepside Lauderhill, and that area has been like that for YEARS. Yes, the rest of the "run down" neighborhoods in east Davie have more of that SW Ft. Lauderdale feel, with the pockets of illegal aliens mixed in with the leftover good ol boys and some working class blacks and that occasional really nice pocket, but not a "dangerous" hood kind of feel.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:46 PM

I'm right up the street from the Publix which is just East of the Davie Rd ext. These are not terrible areas. The Ark Restaurant is here where I won't pay the prices because they're so high. The area you're referring to has some public housing I believe? Since when are poor people dangerous????????? I happen to donate to the church in that area. Safety doesn't translate into rich. Keep in mind the drive-by where the officer was shot happened where I would consider to be a safe area in Pembroke Pines. In fact, the OP mentioned the Pines, and this would probably be his local post office and I never told him that was an unsafe neighborhood. There have been no shootings at the post office around here, or bank robberies for that matter ( I recall a few in West Pines too).

Why is it that when things happen west of University it's an anomaly and when things *don't* happen where there is affordable housing that those areas don't get credit. This is economic discrimination. I'm sorry. Oh, and by the way our foreclosure rate in our zip code is one of the lowest (if not *the* lowest) in Broward because people didn't extend themselves to live in this area.....People get dangerous when they get desperate.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I'm right up the street from the Publix which is just East of the Davie Rd ext. These are not terrible areas. The Ark Restaurant is here where I won't pay the prices because they're so high. The area you're referring to has some public housing I believe? Since when are poor people dangerous????????? I happen to donate to the church in that area. Safety doesn't translate into rich. Keep in mind the drive-by where the officer was shot happened where I would consider to be a safe area in Pembroke Pines. In fact, the OP mentioned the Pines, and this would probably be his local post office and I never told him that was an unsafe neighborhood. There have been no shootings at the post office around here, or bank robberies for that matter ( I recall a few in West Pines too).

Why is it that when things happen west of University it's an anomaly and when things *don't* happen where there is affordable housing that those areas don't get credit. This is economic discrimination. I'm sorry. Oh, amd by the way our foreclosure rate is one of the lowest (if not *the* lowest) in Broward because people didn't extend themselves tto live in this area.....
I'm not talking about poor people (go across the street in the part that's in Hollywood and it's lower income but not that bad to be in at all), I'm talking about high crime. Like the pack of kids with guns hanging out at the corner, and the drug deals I saw going on in open air. I went there again one time, same thing minus the kids. Somebody got murdered down there over a drug deal, right on El Jardin Dr, could it happen anywhere? Yes, but it happened in an area that is full of that kind of activity.

Which drive by was an officer shot in? Are you talking about the road rage incident? That could have happened anywhere and I wouldn't have made it any bigger of a deal if it happened in Pompano or east Davie or anywhere else. I'm not saying crime doesn't happen there or because it's a "nice" neighborhood it's safe. I would probably feel safer living in those lower income neighborhoods across the street from the area I am talking about versus living in one of those "nice" new neighborhoods in Miramar or honestly yes west Pines. I know a lot of crimes happen in parking lots there because of the proximity to 75 and the "niceness", sometimes sprees of burglaries too and I have heard about driveway robberies occasionally. 75 makes for a quick in and out, since it's not likely the criminal that his that area lives around there or even in Broward County. But let's face it, it is generally safer west of University than east, and yes, it happens to be a little more well off too.

There probably aren't many bank robberies around you due to the lack of real highway access. We have quite a few in Weston, pretty much all robberies were at bank or c-stores. It's an easy, quick escape for a criminal because of the excellent highway access, same with west Pines.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 08-10-2008 at 10:04 PM..

Old 08-10-2008, 10:17 PM

I happen to use the Davie rd Ext all the time to cut down to Sheridan & University at all times of the day and night (even back from midnight movies at Muvico) and I haven't seen what you're talking about, but I'll tell you, I'll come around on Stirling in the future, because unfortunately, what happens is that when you talk like that, people avoid okay areas, and things can go down from there as the meme gets out that certain areas are off-limits. I actually feel a lot safer around here and less of a target than when I lived in Miami Beach. And, at the Sawgrass Mall the other night, we had one of those Segway security officers walk us to our car when we ended up at the Oasis past midnight.

Anyway, back to the OP. Generally speaking, most areas in Davie, Pembroke Pines and Weston are safe, but all have had their moments. It is South Florida, afterall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area