Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,039 times

Advertisements

i AM FROM TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO AND WANTS TO MIGRATE TO FLORIDA IN THE NEXT SIX MONTHS I AM IN POSSESSION OF A EDUCATION DEGREE IN READING AND WOULD BE SEEKING EMPLOYMENT THERE WHEN I ARRIVE WHAT ARE THE BEST DISTRICTS TO WORK IN AND WHAT DISTRICTS PAY THE HIGHEST SALARIES. DO YOU GET A SIGNING ON BONUS AND SUPPLEMENTARIES ON YOUR SALARY IF SO HOW MUCH.
I UNDERSTAND THAT I ALSO HAVE TO GET A LICENCE TO TEACH THERE HOW DO I GO ABOUT DOING THAT
NEED EARLY RESPONSE

Last edited by marcia lee ann; 08-26-2008 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: NOT EDITING
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 09:05 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,712,467 times
Employment Opportunities

Old 08-26-2008, 09:09 AM

59 posts, read 160,248 times
No, there wouldn't be any signing bonus. With declining enrollment and budget cuts, you would be very lucky to even get a job right now in Broward county. My wife's school is letting 2 to 3 teachers go next month. I would look to growth areas in GA, TN or NC for teaching jobs.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:11 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats View Post
No, there wouldn't be any signing bonus. With declining enrollment and budget cuts, you would be very lucky to even get a job right now in Broward county. My wife's school is letting 2 to 3 teachers go next month. I would look to growth areas in GA, TN or NC for teaching jobs.
Are these teachers being let go in critical shortage areas or what? Just curious to see how bad things are.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Are these teachers being let go in critical shortage areas or what? Just curious to see how bad things are.
Not sure about critical shortage areas. Its very low numbers in 4th and 5th grades so they are shuffling classes around. Also admin is warning of serious cuts to come if amend 5 passes.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:22 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats View Post
Not sure about critical shortage areas. Its very low numbers in 4th and 5th grades so they are shuffling classes around. Also admin is warning of serious cuts to come if amend 5 passes.
excuse my stupidity but what is amendment 5?

I would imagine a lot of teachers will lose their jobs going into the next few years. Read a report that puts unemployment at or around 11% in another year. If that happens, the out pour of people in broward could dwarf last years exodus. Means even fewer students etc.

Hope all goes well for you and your wife.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:30 AM

At American Heritage, a private school, enrollment is down this year in elementary and middle school, but up in high school.

Texas - Dallas/Fort Worth is also recruiting teachers from Florida with sign-on bonuses.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
excuse my stupidity but what is amendment 5?

I would imagine a lot of teachers will lose their jobs going into the next few years. Read a report that puts unemployment at or around 11% in another year. If that happens, the out pour of people in broward could dwarf last years exodus. Means even fewer students etc.

Hope all goes well for you and your wife.
From the Broward Schools website:

"This proposed amendment to the Florida Constitution would effectively eliminate state required school property taxes that provide a substantial portion of the funding for public education. While this measure does stipulate that public education would be “held harmless” from a funding perspective, it does not identify a definitive and secure funding source to make up for this major loss of secure revenues for public education. A provision in the measure to raise state sales taxes and eliminate certain tax exemptions to compensate for these lost revenues would not make up the total funding – amounting to billions of dollars -- that would be lost to public education by elimination of the property tax."

Old 08-26-2008, 09:36 AM

Teachers in Dade wore black on the first day of school this year to protest that they weren't receiving the raise they had been promised.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:49 AM

710 posts, read 2,234,267 times
My sister-in-law has a Masters specializing in reading. She had worked for a now defunct Charter school so she had to spend the summer finding a new position.

She got called literally the Friday before school was supposed to start and accepted a position for 4th or 5th (not sure which) in Dade.
Of course, she then got 2 more calls for schools she was more interested in, but oh well.

There ARE some jobs in Dade at least, but I think her Masters Degree helps a lot (but I have no way of knowing for sure).

I would call the school boards in the places you're interested in and see if someone there will give you a realistic opinion as to how to get hired and what additional schooling (if any) would help your cause (and maybe get your teaching certificate at the same time).

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area