Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 11:23 AM

9,762 posts, read 3,414,799 times

Advertisements

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ok, so I've been looking on Wiki, Bestplaces, etc. but now I need some advice (maybe that'll give me a new place to focus my "research"). I am a beginning teacher and my starting salary obviously isn't *grand* so I need to find some affordable housing and I'm interested in the Ft. Lauderdale area. I don't mind if I wind up in a small single family home or a condo. I do want to live in an area that is safe/low crime. I would prefer an area that is close to a "downtown" environment, with things to do and places to see. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 05:15 PM

326 posts, read 1,452,611 times
Look into Hollywood, the Eastern part, that is, east of I95, possibly east of Federal Hwy. If prices are still a little high, check into Hallandale and Aventura, also east of I95. These areas are relatively safe (relatively to South Florida), have plenty of rental places and a great diversity. In addition, they offer the closeness to the beach, with its lively evenings and weekends, several restaurants and gathering areas, work out places, etc. I prefer Hollywood to the other towns, but the reality is that there is not much difference between parts of the eastern corridor in Hollywood and that in Hallandale. I have lived in Hollywood for over 7 ears and still own a house there. I love it, it is a great place to live, enjoy life, leave (the airport is near), spend evenings at a restaurants or walking on the beach. Before you eliminate the coast for its higher prices compared to the western towns, give it a more thorough look, especially given the large offer of rental properties. There is a huge difference between livelihood of the coast and that of the western suburbs. On the other hand, the western towns are chosen by the majority, so I am sure you will get some of that perspective, too. Much depends on your personality and what you like to do after teaching those Florida brats (oops...)

Old 12-01-2008, 01:48 PM

7 posts, read 25,783 times
I would recommend that you look in Victoria Park. It is a beautiful neighborhood that has a very low crime rate, keeping in mind that the further off of Sunrise Blvd the safer it will be. I have lived in this neighborhood for 8 years now and still love it. It is perfectly located between downtown (good nightlife for 20's to mid-30's) and the beach, both of which are just about a 3 minute drive. It is also walking distance to Las Olas shops & restaurants and is just about a 5 minute drive to I95 & 15 minutes to the airport.

With the economy the way it is here now you definitely should be able to find something affordable. Not sure if you are able but the best way to find a place here is simply to get in your car and drive around the neighborhood - there are "For Rent" signs *everywhere* and you can take a look at the exteriors before you bother to set an appointment.

Finding a home or condo in this neighborhood for a reasonable price will be tough but there are lots of quaint, newly refurbished small 1-2 story apartment complexes here that make for a nice home.

Good luck & feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:54 PM

6 posts, read 13,335 times
Dear FlaGrrrl,
I live seaside in a small beautiful town called Lauderdale by the Sea. We are just east of Ft. Lauderdale between the Intracoastal Waterway and the Atlantic Ocean. Check out my website at: www.Lauderdalebythesea.com then email me at info@lbtsmail.com so I can get specifics with regard to your needs. I will be happy to assist you in finding accommodations either to rent while looking or to live. I have been living in the northeast Ft. Lauderdale area for over 40 years and know many of the ins and outs.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:11 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
FlaGrl>

There are so many places, its almost frustrating. You can live anywhere in all of Broward County and be able to commute to Fort Lauderdale pretty easily. However, if you are young and want the nightlife, I would suggest that you live close to the downtown/Las Olas area. Riverfront at Las Olas is the central nightlife district of Fort Lauderdale. There are highrise condos in downtown, but they may be a bit out of your price range. If so, then look just outside of that area in communities like Rio Vista or to the east of US1/north of Commercial Blvd. The beach is nice too, but you may find that it is also expensive. Hollywood is nice as someone else pointed out.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,122 times
What area would you recommend for a family.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:53 PM

207 posts, read 613,987 times
Weston, Plantation, Coral Springs, Parkland, Cooper City, Davie; All are unique and have different things to offer; the main thing, they are nice, safe, suburban areas to live in....and affordable compared to surrounding areas....I live in Plantation with my hubby and 2 yr old. We feel safe, have nice neighbors and convience. Convience to shopping and expressways. Plantation is very large so some areas are nicer then others. I think those cities would also help the intial poster and they are local to some nice schools. Also Plantation is about 25 minutes to Ft Lauderdale Beach, maybe a little less or same to Dwntwn; all depends on traffic. Good luck and my best advice is ask as many questions and get all the input you can!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:50 PM

9,762 posts, read 3,414,799 times
Thanks for your suggestions :-)

Old 02-08-2009, 09:38 AM

4 posts, read 25,970 times
first of all, victoria park does not have a low crime rate as far as burglaries and such. second of all, hollywood sucks

Old 02-09-2009, 09:06 AM

294 posts, read 1,148,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapstar954 View Post
hollywood sucks
And Las Vegas doesn't? Give me a break!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area