Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 05:50 AM

139 posts, read 313,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
What's wrong with Cooper City, parts Hollywood, parts of Hallandale, Davie, Weston, Pembroke Pines, west Miramar, etc? I think if anything, the south side of the county is in better shape than the north side.
You've basically, named all the *exceptions* I'd make. I'd live in Aventura as well, if I decided to go back to condo living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 08:32 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy2Mia2Atl View Post
You've basically, named all the *exceptions* I'd make. I'd live in Aventura as well, if I decided to go back to condo living.
Those exceptions make up the majority of south Broward . In addition there are quite a few mediocre sections that aren't too bad, but only a few really bad spots.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisanmos View Post
After reading many of replies here on CD I am starting to believe that. When I mention moving south of I595 it is out of the question with my husband and always has been. We have friends out there (Weston, Davie, Hallandale, Hollywood) but I can't convince him.
I would mainly say that if you work somewhere in north Broward, then it doesn't make sense to live south of 595. Still, IMO the southwest side is less crowded feeling with the farmland that is STILL mixed in with Davie, Cooper City, Southwest Ranches, even Miramar believe it or not. Just a nicer overall feeling to me, and also not experiencing the neighborhood decline that the northwest side is (I'm talking to you Riverside Drive). The southeast side is older than the north, but has just a tad less crime (still too much) and cleaner beaches.

South of 595 is not the same as being south of the Dade County line, you really can still see the difference literally right at the border.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 10-08-2009 at 08:50 AM..

Old 10-08-2009, 09:50 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,149 times
Quote:
I would mainly say that if you work somewhere in north Broward, then it doesn't make sense to live south of 595. Still, IMO the southwest side is less crowded feeling with the farmland that is STILL mixed in with Davie, Cooper City, Southwest Ranches, even Miramar believe it or not. Just a nicer overall feeling to me, and also not experiencing the neighborhood decline that the northwest side is (I'm talking to you Riverside Drive). The southeast side is older than the north, but has just a tad less crime (still too much) and cleaner beaches.

South of 595 is not the same as being south of the Dade County line, you really can still see the difference literally right at the border.
He works off of Sunrise Blvd. and University Dr. Deep side I think. Anyway, we lived in Plantation off of Broward so I feel like we downgraded by moving to Tamarac. His issue, and he won't like that I typed this, are the Latinos and feels there are too many south of 595. BTW- I am Latina but I think it is the language more so than the ethnicity.

Edited because I can't write.

Last edited by crisan; 10-08-2009 at 10:42 AM..

Old 10-08-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
He works off of Sunrise Blvd. and University Dr. Deep side I think. Anyway, we lived in Plantation off of Broward so I feel like we downgraded by moving to Tamarac. His issue, and he will won't like that I typed this, are the Latinos and feels there are too many south of 595. BTW- I am Latina but I think it is the language more so than the ethnicity.
That's kind of what what I was expecting, but in that respect, the Cooper City area is second to Parkland...Weston might not be a good fit.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:47 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,149 times
Quote:
That's kind of what what I was expecting, but in that respect, the Cooper City area is second to Parkland...Weston might not be a good fit.
Yes, Weston has always been and always will be off the table. I will look into Cooper City.

To the OP: Another disadvantage that comes along with living in Florida is that there is too much sun which may lead to premature aging of the skin. I carried my baby girl for 9 months but her father gets all the credit for her appearance. She is white like him and burns easily in the sun. I, OTOH, don't burn that easily.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:29 AM

139 posts, read 313,944 times
Quote:
Those exceptions make up the majority of south Broward . In addition there are quite a few mediocre sections that aren't too bad, but only a few really bad spots.
Yes, I should know this as well as anyone--I use to live in Hollywood (downtown). I'm not to sure how good South Broward schools are tho, and since I now have a child, I'd have to do more research on that.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:02 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,359,385 times
Quote:

Unfortunately that little area of Riverside/Woodside Dr. has slowly crept into the rest of Springs with the exception being NW Springs off of Coral Ridge

Old 10-09-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy2Mia2Atl View Post
Yes, I should know this as well as anyone--I use to live in Hollywood (downtown). I'm not to sure how good South Broward schools are tho, and since I now have a child, I'd have to do more research on that.
Again, the south is generally better off than the north. There are multiple highly rated high schools- Cypress Bay, West Broward, Western, Cooper City, also quite a few "above average" ones like Flanagan and Everglades. The rest are pretty mediocre, but the only *really* bad high school is Hallandale. On the north side, the only *really* (relative) good school is Stoneman Douglas, most of the high schools in Coral Springs are "above average", and there are several really rough schools.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:13 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
He works off of Sunrise Blvd. and University Dr. Deep side I think. Anyway, we lived in Plantation off of Broward so I feel like we downgraded by moving to Tamarac. His issue, and he won't like that I typed this, are the Latinos and feels there are too many south of 595. BTW- I am Latina but I think it is the language more so than the ethnicity.

Edited because I can't write.
I can understand frustration over the language issue , but if your husband has problems with hispanics over their "ethnicity" than that would imply he is also unaccepting of second and third generation hispanics that speak English .... which is sad . Also south of I-595 are places like Cooper City and Davie which are still largely white non-hispanic ... I lived in Weston for over four years and loved it ... some of the hispanics there were terrific people who we still maintain friendships with . By the way my wife is Hispanic and I would never dream of thinking as ignorant or being as closed minded as your husband apparently is .... did you call yourself "Skylar " and hide the fact you were hispanic from him ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area