Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 12:53 PM

552 posts, read 592,634 times

Advertisements

I have to tell this story... it ticked me off... I get one of these atleast once a wekk here in Orlando...

anyhow, I was on the 408, in the right lane and a truck was merging onto the 408 from the ramp. Anyhow, I almost always get into the left lane so that people getting on the highway from the right can get on easier. I hate when people dont merge for me. Anyhow, I get over a lane so that this guy has an easier time getting on the 408 and not only does he not thank me or gesture, but then the guy cuts in front of me in my lane and now he is like 5 feet from me. I put my hands up like, "Man, I just let you in, I was the only one nice enough to slow down and you cut in front of me like an idiot?" He then flicks me off.

So I was the nice guy (as usual), moved over and created some room for this guy to get in, he then not only cuts me off, but then flicks me off. I cant win. And no Compelled, before you even say anything, this wouldnt happen in Asheville or Raleigh. Never has and I spent yrs there. Sry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 01:36 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
You know what annoys me more and more lately is people driving slow in the left lane on I-95 and the Turnpike. PEOPLE! The left lane is for PASSING ONLY! If you are not passing, get into the middle or right lanes. Why on earth do people drive slow in the left lane? Not only are they breaking the rules of the road, but its extremely dangerous. All of the people wanting to pass get bunched up behind the moron and then they start getting impatient and passing on the right. Its especially moronic on 95 when you've got 5 lanes to work with.

Then you've got the morons who are talking on their cell phones and doing 60 in a 65. I see this every single day on I-95. They really need to ban cell phone usage in cars. Most people cannot talk on a cell phone and drive at the same time.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:42 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post

So I was the nice guy (as usual), moved over and created some room for this guy to get in, he then not only cuts me off, but then flicks me off. I cant win. And no Compelled, before you even say anything, this wouldnt happen in Asheville or Raleigh. Never has and I spent yrs there. Sry.
Fair enough, but why do you come into the South Florida forums (Miami and Ft. Lauderdale) and complain about a place that you have never even lived before by telling your stories about Orlando?

Old 07-02-2009, 04:13 PM

552 posts, read 592,634 times
I just had to tell my story so we were talking about road rage, and we all know if it happens in Orlando, it happens down there...

I thought you might come out with a comment about Raleigh, so I went ahead and mentioned it first, lol.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:58 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
It's all relative....but having driven in many other cities both here and abroad, driving in Miami raises my stress level significantly more than anywhere else. Actual traffic (in terms of volume) in Miami isn't that bad compared to many other cities such as Los Angeles, Houston or Atlanta, but the drivers themselves here are of a special breed and I've seen more examples of reckless stupidity here than anywhere else.

Just driving around Kendall this morning to get my Dunkin Donuts fix was a bit of a nightmare, despite the fact that there was little traffic. So many drivers were doing their usual tricks of excessive speeding, weaving in/out, cutting other motorists off and running red lights @ high speed. I've always found Kendall itself to be particularly notorious for aggressive drivers, probably more so than anywhere else in Miami-Dade. There are too many bored kids with Honda Civics with too much time on their hands and too little regard for the safety of others.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:09 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
I just had to tell my story so we were talking about road rage, and we all know if it happens in Orlando, it happens down there...

I thought you might come out with a comment about Raleigh, so I went ahead and mentioned it first, lol.
Okay, but why don't you share your distaste for Orlando in the Orlando forum...again, you come and complain about a place you haven't even lived in by telling stories from 200 miles away. You live in Orlando and constantly get worked up about how much it sucks to live in a place that you barley even have any associations with, let alone live in. God forbid I did that for the Carolinas based on a couple of visits! It might happen down here, but it didn't happen to you here...

Old 07-03-2009, 09:51 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Okay, but why don't you share your distaste for Orlando in the Orlando forum...again, you come and complain about a place you haven't even lived in by telling stories from 200 miles away. You live in Orlando and constantly get worked up about how much it sucks to live in a place that you barley even have any associations with, let alone live in. God forbid I did that for the Carolinas based on a couple of visits! It might happen down here, but it didn't happen to you here...

You are with out a doubt the most level headed , balanced enjoyable poster on this forum ... God bless you !!

Old 07-03-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
It's all relative....but having driven in many other cities both here and abroad, driving in Miami raises my stress level significantly more than anywhere else. Actual traffic (in terms of volume) in Miami isn't that bad compared to many other cities such as Los Angeles, Houston or Atlanta, but the drivers themselves here are of a special breed and I've seen more examples of reckless stupidity here than anywhere else.

Just driving around Kendall this morning to get my Dunkin Donuts fix was a bit of a nightmare, despite the fact that there was little traffic. So many drivers were doing their usual tricks of excessive speeding, weaving in/out, cutting other motorists off and running red lights @ high speed. I've always found Kendall itself to be particularly notorious for aggressive drivers, probably more so than anywhere else in Miami-Dade. There are too many bored kids with Honda Civics with too much time on their hands and too little regard for the safety of others.
Yes , Kendall is a nightmare .... too many regaetton teens in souped up wannabee too fast too furious Honda Civics .... but even so I have to disagree with you in one respect ... Los Angeles and especially the Culver City area take the mantle from Miami / Kendall .... I lived close by in Valencia for almost four years and although South Florida is close , Southern California takes the cake as far as freaks on the roads .

That said I loved Southern California and I am not bashing it ... but I saw some mind boogling road rage and bad driving there .

Old 07-03-2009, 10:04 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Yes , Kendall is a nightmare .... too many regaetton teens in souped up wannabee too fast too furious Honda Civics .... but even so I have to disagree with you in one respect ... Los Angeles and especially the Culver City area take the mantle from Miami / Kendall .... I lived close by in Valencia for almost four years and although South Florida is close , Southern California takes the cake as far as freaks on the roads .

That said I loved Southern California and I am not bashing it ... but I saw some mind boogling road rage and bad driving there .
I've driven around Greater Los Angeles a few times and all I really recall were that there was a LOT of traffic (far more than Miami), a lot of cops and a lot of freeways/concrete. I can't say that I experienced too many 'crazies' there, but I was there on vacation and everywhere looks/feels better when you're on vacation.

As for Kendall, it's a 100% car centric place, just like many places in Southern California. As there isn't much to do there, the kids zipping up/down Kendall Drive in their Civics are 1) bored and 2) reckless (bad combination). Kendall's wide, completely straight/grid roads and the lack of police presence make it a mecca for racers.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I've driven around Greater Los Angeles a few times and all I really recall were that there was a LOT of traffic (far more than Miami), a lot of cops and a lot of freeways/concrete. I can't say that I experienced too many 'crazies' there, but I was there on vacation and everywhere looks/feels better when you're on vacation.

As for Kendall, it's a 100% car centric place, just like many places in Southern California. As there isn't much to do there, the kids zipping up/down Kendall Drive in their Civics are 1) bored and 2) reckless (bad combination). Kendall's wide, completely straight/grid roads and the lack of police presence make it a mecca for racers.
Yes ... agree and good post .... I used to come down with family on vacation in the early 80's and I remember Kendall being a very upscale and desirable place to live .... too bad it is has gone downhill in many respects .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area