Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 10:11 AM

4 posts, read 10,667 times

Advertisements

I am a first time home owner, and I am moving to the FT. L area. I have heard many conflicting stories of the area I purchased. Some say its "not great" others say its horrible. The area is near broward blvd and I-95... I have been there a few times and the area doesnt seem bad to me. Maybe not the greatest spot in town, but not to the extent of having to look over my shoulder at all times.

I looked online and it havent found any serious issues in the way of crime as of 2009, but I am only using that as a small percentage of my research... Since not everything is reported to the online websites.

Also, I am in Law Enforcement and obviously have weapons.. Now, I have a safe or two that locks my guns away, but if I need to carry at all times I will... (hoping I am over worrying).

So if anyone is familiar with the area right off I-95 and Broward Blvd... Id really like to get some insight...

thanks.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:51 PM

5 posts, read 23,054 times
If you are poor, into drugs, illegal activities, are homless (huge row of homeless shelters and soup kitchens near there), are a prostitute, and enjoy living in a crime ridden unsafe area you will fit in just fine.

If you are white, this is not the area for you, you will be discriminated against. Sorry if that sounds racist, but fact of the matter is this section of town is predominately black and minority. It is a horrible area of town, drug dealers, welfare mommas sitting on porches of dumpy houses with their 10 kids, bums on every street corner, salvation army is right there off i-95, habitat for hummanity next to that, people sleeping on the streets. The funny thing is it is near a very nice part of town but that nice part of town is mainly office buildings. The area of Riverwalk near the science museum is very nice but since it is blocks from this ghetto part of town the restaurants and upscale places have gone out of business. I will go to the museum to see the IMAX movie and every time I think oh, what a nice day lets walk along the river it's a bad idea because there are tons of bums there looking for a handout, will follow you, very unsafe.

One time during a hurricane we had to evacuate our home and the only hotel was a days inn right off broward and i-95, all night long the police were arresting people in the parking lot. It is a HORRIBLE area.

Please do NOT move to this area. Go further west on Broward Blvd if you must, the further west the safer it gets. I have lived in south FL for 20+ yrs.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:54 PM

When Ive gone by there, it seems that in the general area, that the majority of people are white. I noticed the salvation army. Thanks for your input tho, its definetly making me think.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:10 PM

59 posts, read 115,507 times
I-95 and Broward is trash

you need to move WEST OF THE TURNPIKE if you're gonna be on broward blvd.

otherwise its ghetto trash.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:42 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,056,440 times
agreed. junk area.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:50 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,544,412 times
I've lived in FL since 1982 and that area has never been safe since I have lived here. Look elsewhere.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:56 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,918,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DusF View Post
I am a first time home owner, and I am moving to the FT. L area. I have heard many conflicting stories of the area I purchased. Some say its "not great" others say its horrible. The area is near broward blvd and I-95... I have been there a few times and the area doesnt seem bad to me. Maybe not the greatest spot in town, but not to the extent of having to look over my shoulder at all times.

I looked online and it havent found any serious issues in the way of crime as of 2009, but I am only using that as a small percentage of my research... Since not everything is reported to the online websites.

Also, I am in Law Enforcement and obviously have weapons.. Now, I have a safe or two that locks my guns away, but if I need to carry at all times I will... (hoping I am over worrying).

So if anyone is familiar with the area right off I-95 and Broward Blvd... Id really like to get some insight...

thanks.
Have you been at night? Honestly, it really isn't that bad during the day, because nothing around here is. Visit at night though: the character of the neighborhood really changes. To be fair, it's not quite the 100% hell described in the other posts, there are actually some pretty nice homes on the SE side near Stranahan High, but even there I would imagine it would be dicey with burglaries and such.

Basically, I would avoid the northeast, southwest, and northwest sides as a general precaution. I definitely wouldn't live there. The SE side would be okay temporarily, but not someplace I would stay for a long time. As a first time homebuyer there actually are better places to look in south Ft. Lauderdale IMO, like Croissant Park or even Melrose Park. Honestly, I think you could get a better deal for your money in a different city altogether, like North Lauderdale or Hollywood, depending strongly on where you work. At the very least, a lower crime area.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 10-25-2009 at 10:11 PM..

Old 10-25-2009, 10:32 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,786,425 times
Agree with others that area is no good. Did your local law enforcement partners not warn you about good and bad areas?

Old 10-26-2009, 02:57 AM

Well this move was pretty much rushed, I needed to be closer to work then driving from West Palm Beach everyday to Miami and to get it before Nov 1.... and as for the local PD in ft lauderdale... I dont know anyone in that area at all. So, getting a warning by word of mouth was kind of out of the question. I stopped by there on my way home lastnight and asked a couple people that were walking their dogs etc... They have all lived there for a decent amount of time, and all said that they have not have had any problems at all. So, looks like its one of those see for yourself kind of deals? 50% say it sucks...50% says its really not as bad as people say it is... and 50% of all of those are ones who live there and the others, dont.... so who knows....... just as lost as I was before

Old 10-26-2009, 07:04 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,056,440 times
just rent in Weston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area