Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 08:27 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times

Advertisements

Tung,

Not all areas of Fort Lauderdale are zero-lot lines. Is that something you read on a message board? Where are you from?

Its funny that in Fort Lauderdale there are "too many people", yet in Raleigh, NC, NYC, Philly, Boston, DC, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, L.A., San Fran there aren't. LOL. Just like when people complain about the traffic in Fort Lauderdale. Then they say how great it is in Atlanta.

If you prefer a small town in central, FL, then that is your thing. I prefer to live in a larger metro-area. And Fort Lauderdale is not even very big compared to the other areas I mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 08:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,957 times
You should definitely move to Ft Lauderdale. I recently moved here from Bklyn, NY and I absolutely love it!!

I'm never going home.
Check out the weather here... even in the dead of winter!

Weather

Old 01-03-2010, 09:53 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times
hustliva>

You should change the words "even in" to "only in". LOL.

The weather here is perfect in the dead of winter. It is the best weather in the country during the months of December, January, and February. Unfortunately, the other 9 months can be considered very hot and humid. The summer months from June to September are downright brutal.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:28 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,768,637 times
I have to tell you Nolefan that the summer months in NYC are pretty brutal as well and I have had more than one person who now lives in South Florida confirm that they find it to be about equal. You state from June to September are awful (I know this is true for the most part), but July and August are pretty nasty here and there were a few years (98-01) where the summers pretty much began in may and ended in September - I specifically remember 98 (the year my son was born) it was 80+ in March - I loved it personally - it isn't for everyone. The difference is when it gets cold here, you really can't function in it and it makes you not want to go outside at all - at least I don't want to go out and have my face cut by the wind!

Hustliva - do you feel like NY will always be home?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:46 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexiew77 View Post
Hi, i would really appriciate any input from some locals about s. flordia. My family which consist of 4,5 and 18 month old and my hubby are wanting to move to flordia from oregon. i have never been there but have lived in hawaii and loooove the beaches and nice weather. My husband is a roofer so year round work would be nice. we have pretty bad winters here. im thinking of going to kaiser university to the sonogram program. Anyways is this a good family friendly place to relocate??? I have seen a lot of negatives on here. We are looking at getting a 3 bed hopefully for around 1200, sound about right?? Seriously anything would help me at this point.
Thanks,
lexie
Florida is NOT Hawaii. If you move here thinking it will be Hawaii you will be sorely disappointed.

Work as a rooffer is tough to get right now. There is very little construction going on here. As someone else mentioned the sonogram field is oversaturated right now.

You can get a 3 BR apartment in a nice area for around $1200 per month. Not in the best area, but in a reasonably safe area.

I always mention schools to people relocating from the NE because schools there are much better than they are here. However a little research shows that Oregon has schools that typically rank near FL (just below US average in most areas) so that may not be a big issue for you.

There is a lot of traffic here. Not as much as NYC but more than average. I don't know how important that is to you. Traffic here is not that bad for me, but I am from NY and no amount of traffic really seems that bad after NYC.

Housing here is expensive compared to average salaries. Homeowners insurance is expensive compared to most places.

All that said, I like living here. I recommend that you come here and try to do the normal things you would do if you lived here, rather than the things you do on vacation. It is hot here in the summer, but it's hot in a lot of places so I don't know how much you will care about that.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:49 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,768,637 times
Momma, I always enjoy your outlook on things - I really hope that I will like it as much as you do. You have to put your picture up - I'm so excited now we can see a face behind the writing - LOL. Have a good one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area