Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 12:04 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,897,443 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure why people are bringing up Wilton Manors when we are talking about Sunrise/Lauderhill a couple blocks east of University, but that area is fine. The only really "ghetto" place is about a mile east, then heading south down 56th Ave. Avoid that area for sure, and additionally you might want to avoid that Publix at Inverrary at night. I would say anything on the west side of 64th Ave is at least okay, yet not extravagantly fancy enough to experience a spillover crime issue. You also aren't likely to have any problems all the way to the turnpike if you are on the north side of Oakland Park. This area is known as "Inverrary" and is actually pretty nice, with aforementioned Publix being the only thing I might avoid at night, although during the day that is one of the nicer local Publix stores to shop at. I would describe that area as a pretty typical working class black-dominated area in Broward County, there are many other areas like that scattered throughout the county. Basically, as long as the majority of the people in the area own their homes, your in a perfectly okay neighborhood, and you would tend to find a good value for your money in that type of area. If I recall, I think those apartments are on the Inverrary side and look pretty nice.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 03-29-2010 at 12:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 11:36 AM

10 posts, read 44,585 times
I still haven't had anyone give me a concrete answer to my original question. Also, does anyone know how often apartment buildings are severely damaged by hurricanes there? I wanted to get a place with hurricane-proof windows, but the only place that was in my price range wouldn't fit my furniture...

Old 03-29-2010, 11:49 AM

Wow, thanks compelledtoreply! Is there any particular reason you advise that I avoid that Publix?

Old 03-30-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phils0879 View Post
Wow, thanks compelledtoreply! Is there any particular reason you advise that I avoid that Publix?
Phils, it's just a little too close to "Deepside" (the area along 56th Ave) for comfort IMO. I can't tell you for sure if it's actually dangerous or not, but my perception of safety by that Publix isn't top notch at night due to that proximity, although during the day it's 100% fine and actually one of the nicest Publix stores.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:22 PM

Looks like I'm about halfway between 56th and University. So, I'm thinking I'm okay during the day, but I may want to head west when I go out in the evening. I've been following crime reports in that area, and so far it actually looks like the majority of crimes are happening in Plantation. I haven't seen any that are close to Serramar. The community is gated, as well. I'm going through with it. Where I live, up here, is similar. You go a few blocks west and you're not safe at night. You go a few blocks east, and you're in suburbia. So, I guess that concept just doesn't really freak me out too much anymore. Thanks so much for your help!

Old 03-31-2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Looks like I'm about halfway between 56th and University. So, I'm thinking I'm okay during the day, but I may want to head west when I go out in the evening. I've been following crime reports in that area, and so far it actually looks like the majority of crimes are happening in Plantation. I haven't seen any that are close to Serramar. The community is gated, as well. I'm going through with it. Where I live, up here, is similar. You go a few blocks west and you're not safe at night. You go a few blocks east, and you're in suburbia. So, I guess that concept just doesn't really freak me out too much anymore. Thanks so much for your help!
I would say that you definitely have the right idea. I am erring on the VERY cautious side, and can say that the immediate community around Serramar (as well as the community itself) is perfectly fine, as is the area heading NORTH on 56th into Inverrary. I doubt anything would happen to you in the evening, either, but heading west would be a safer bet at night. If you are coming from Philly, though, 56th Ave isn't even going to seem that crazy.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:20 PM

How about the night life in that area? I was told there are some clubs and bars not too far away. I think she pointed west. I'm just not into hip-hop and the thug life. I'm a rocker chick, so I'm just curious about the types of places that'll be close enough to cab to.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
How about the night life in that area? I was told there are some clubs and bars not too far away. I think she pointed west. I'm just not into hip-hop and the thug life. I'm a rocker chick, so I'm just curious about the types of places that'll be close enough to cab to.
Honestly, ghetto for a lack of better description. You will definitely want to cab out to the beach.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:33 PM

Really? Any idea how much that'll cost me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area