Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 03:22 PM

10 posts, read 44,581 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from the suburbs of Philly to Serramar Apartments, W. Oakland Park Blvd., Fort Lauderdale. So, far all of the posts seem to say to stay west of University Dr.. I will be about 2 blocks east. I know it is a primarily African-American area. I am a 30-year-old single white girl and I'll be living alone. Should I keep looking, or will I be safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 04:19 PM

119 posts, read 316,708 times
Hi- I'm a female moving from the North to Florida. I was considering this property also Port Royal, Wilton Gables, and a few on Las Olas. When are you planning to move? I am moving in May - so excited - but nervous I'll be interested to hear if the Floridians have a review for this property.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:24 PM

From other posts I've read, Las Olas is supposed to be pretty nice. I have no idea about the cost of living there, though. I went down to FTL last week and visited several properties. Serramar was the biggest for least amount of money. I have a lot of furniture, so space is needed. The area was mainly African-American, but didn't seem like the heavily African-American communities I'm used to up here. Seemed like a pretty nice area. That's why I'm so conflicted. Plus, I've read about roach and noise problems there. I'm not good with either of those situations...Floridians HELP US OUT HERE! I'm moving in the beginning of May.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:34 PM

I know the prices of this one are great compared to all the others I've seen. Im selling all my stuff before I move so Im ok with a tiny place - but Las Olas is pretty pricey - Ill end up in a studio if I rent there. My problem with Serramar is it is kind of far west and I have heard the east/west traffic is bad and my job will be about 10 miles east. Not sure if that is really a big deal or not - but I hated the Florida traffic when I visited.

I'm not worried about living in a African American area (I'm white) but maybe I'm dumb.

...... Roaches! That's terrifying - we don't have roaches so far north - yuck

I have found on Las Olas I can get a pretty nice studio for $1300 (but you have to pay for parking - I am tired of paying for parking and have been paying to park my dumb car since I was 18, so would rather not)- Wilton Gables is really a nice property, but it isn't gated. But the floor plans are big and have very new finishings. But for how expensive it is, they don't even have a gym.

hmmmmm I'll wait and see if anyone has lived in Serramar

Old 03-28-2010, 04:55 PM

Traffic kind of sucked all over the area, with the exception of the turnpike. I went to apartmentratings.com and read reviews. Fifty-eight percent are positive. Like I said, I visited Serramar and the grounds were really quite nice. In the apartment I live in outside of Philly, here, the review was 30% positive and I have had a small problem with roaches. So, there are def roaches this far north. I used to live in Raleigh, NC and never ever had problems with noise or bugs in any of the places I lived. Sucks I dislike NC so much, though. Lol. There was a crackhead shot and killed by where I park my car here 2 days before xmas. I was laying in bed and heard the gunshots. I just want to make sure I'm not going to end up in another place like where I'm at. But, again, the apartment down there was nice and spacious and the grounds were lovely. The only thing that struck me as odd were the amount of people out and about at 2:00pm on a Tuesday. If you decide to live there, let me know. We'll get drinks!

Old 03-28-2010, 05:18 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,332,157 times
Never noticed anything terrible about W Oakland Park vicinity University though I've only driven through on way to Sunrise. Traffic usually pretty conjested between 441 & University, but not horrible. Inverrary on N side of Oakland Park used to be pretty nice. Jackie Gleason had a home there. Don't know the condition of the place today.

Don't worry about roaches. We call them palmetto bugs. If they get too big you can saddle'm up and ride them.

If by Wilton Gables you mean Gables Wilton Park in Wilton Manors, south off E Oakland Park Blvd, you do not have to worry about it being non gated. The area is very pedestrian friendly and usually busy until late at night. This is a completely different area from the OPs inquiry.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:28 PM

Thanks and repped Housingcrashsurvivor. My list is getting more narrowed down- I love the location of Wilton Gables or whatever its called

Old 03-28-2010, 05:35 PM

Wow. Looking at Gables Wilton Park, that's pretty pricey for a studio.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:50 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,332,157 times
Thanx Chanel. They were originally built as condos and started construction only after the housing crash as the developer decided to turn them into rentals. I'd imagine they'll one day sell as condos if ever we get out of this mess alive.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:33 PM

328 posts, read 1,396,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phils0879 View Post
Wow. Looking at Gables Wilton Park, that's pretty pricey for a studio.
Hi. Yes, the units are fabulous and are fabulously over-priced. When I moved to Fort Lauderdale in October of 2009, I toured there and they quoted me a "special" rate of 1100 a month for a studio apartment. Yes, it did have Granite and Hurricane Impact Windows, but 1100 for a studio in Broward County?

I ended up going with a 2BR/2BA 3 minutes away for 900 a month. Gables Wilton Park is a great building, but it's definitely for those people who prefer look/brand-new-ness to practicality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area