Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:08 AM

11 posts, read 29,457 times

Advertisements

My husband found out he may be txfd to Ft. Lauderdale and -- if I can be honest - I am in the process of freaking out.

We currently live in Orlando area and made quick trip down to Ft. Lauderdale.....we've been to Miami, Hollywood etc but had never gotten off the highway to check out FtL. I was really surprised -- I thought it was a much BIGGER city -- there's not really much to the downtown - the Perf Arts Ctr/Science Musuem area was nice but didn't really get a feel for any neighborhoods - like College Park, Lake Eola area - like Orlando has. I know, I know I can't judge it by one trip.....

As a transplanted NYer I feel like I just settled into Orlando adn now have to pick up and move again which explains my anxiety! I just feel like this would be a totally different side of FL - I know there are some pluses and minuses but would appreciate any help on neighborhoods etc. I've read thru other posts and have an idea of Weston, PPines etc.

Does anyone have experience w/Catholic elementary schools? and what neighborhoods they're in? We have one child and would prefer to keep her in catholic school. Will probabaly rent a house/townhouse to start just to get a feel for the area.

thanks for any input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 08:24 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
We are having this very discussion in Plantation vs. PP - from one fellow NYer to another - I love the diversity of PP but I don't love Public schools there as much as Weston and Weston honestly is the most beautiful city that I have seen out of all 3 counties in SE Florida - it is far west but if you have the money for it - definitely worth a look - not as diverse as I would love it to be but still a very nice place. PP is mostly white (anglo) and hispanic - but it does have a sprinkle of everything else which I like. With that though there is a mix of lower class people that can annoy some people, but for the most part it is a very nice place with middle to upper middle class families. I'm looking into catholic schools too - did you find the schools more expensive in Orlando than in NY?

Old 04-23-2010, 08:34 AM

When you lived here, where did you live?

Old 04-23-2010, 08:58 AM

11 posts, read 29,457 times
grew up on LI and after college lived in Jersey before moving here. Still trying to get used to it LOL altho the weather is a lot better!

Catholic school in Orlando is pretty expensive -- $5,400/year plus all the fees etc. I just found the website for St. Mark's which someone recommended in a post here but I could not for the life of me find the tuition on their website. I also know from when we moved down here you will find schools that are fully enrolled so have to take that into account also!!

When are you moving?

Old 04-23-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtofl407 View Post
grew up on LI and after college lived in Jersey before moving here. Still trying to get used to it LOL altho the weather is a lot better!

Catholic school in Orlando is pretty expensive -- $5,400/year plus all the fees etc. I just found the website for St. Mark's which someone recommended in a post here but I could not for the life of me find the tuition on their website. I also know from when we moved down here you will find schools that are fully enrolled so have to take that into account also!!

When are you moving?
2 weeks. I get the feeling you would like Coral Springs. I lived on LI for a bit (Island Trees area) and Coral Springs is definitely like that. PPis closer to Queens to me (baysideish), thus the appeal to me.

That is really expensive - I pay 8K for both kids right now, so 5400 for one is steep!

Old 04-23-2010, 10:20 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
2 weeks. I get the feeling you would like Coral Springs. I lived on LI for a bit (Island Trees area) and Coral Springs is definitely like that. PPis closer to Queens to me (baysideish), thus the appeal to me.

That is really expensive - I pay 8K for both kids right now, so 5400 for one is steep!
I don't know what the elementary schools charge but St. Thomas Aquinas (high school) charges $7600 per year if you are a participating Catholic and $9,500 per year if you are not.

Chaminade Madonna charges $9,300 per year and gives discounts to Catholics of $750.

Archbishop McCarthy charges $9,500 for non Catholics, $7,900 for Catholics registered with a Church and $8,800 for Catholics not registered with a Church.

I would imagine that elementary is a little less, but probably not THAT MUCH less. The information above was lifted from the school's websites.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:31 AM

469 posts, read 1,328,351 times
back in the midwest I paid 6500 for 2 kids. There is no way we could afford any of the Catholic, private options out here.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:42 AM

Honestly - those are crazy prices! I can't believe they are so expensive - momma - the highschools are normal prices even for NYC but Geesh for florida - that is way expensive - and the elementary schools are more - no way - those bose better get accepted to the charterschools lol!

Old 04-23-2010, 01:01 PM

154 posts, read 552,656 times
Quote:
Honestly - those are crazy prices! I can't believe they are so expensive - momma - the highschools are normal prices even for NYC but Geesh for florida - that is way expensive - and the elementary schools are more - no way - those bose better get accepted to the charterschools lol!
Those are bargains! Wait until you see the prices of regular private schools (non religious). Twice as expensive. Can we convert?

Old 04-23-2010, 01:20 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
I don't think it sounds that high. Elementary schools would be LESS than high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area