Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 04:49 PM

58 posts, read 124,541 times

Advertisements

I'm considering the area as a place to move. In doing some research I've found that the housing prices in Miramar are far cheaper than the rest of the county. I seem to get a lot more house for a lot less. Why is that? Is there a pay off with taxes? Is the crime rate higher?

Second thing of concern to me is schooling. It seems to be a common concern here that Florida schools aren't ranked anywhere close to the top of the charts in the US. Does this apply only to public schools or private schools as well? How much do private schools run for elementary age kids?

Finally, is there a large south asian population in the area? I come from an east indian background and this area seems to be the most culturally diverse in Florida, so I figured it'd have a fair east indian population with restaurants and stores where I can get indian food and other items.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 05:09 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,815,237 times
West Miramar - particularly West of 172 Avenue is a great deal right now. The schools are good by Florida standards and the area is nice - we liked it alot!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:02 PM

423 posts, read 1,645,411 times
As earlier poster mentioned, west miramar is pretty good area choice and you get a lot for your money there.. I know a lot of Indians living in West Miramar, Pembroke Pines as well as Weston. However there is only one indian grocery store that is located west of I-75... it is on Pines and 196 Ave. Unfortunately there is no indian restaurant around there but I guess you can't have everything. Plz feel free to DM me if u have any questions and I can help since I know a lot of people there and do a lot of business there.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:24 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,063,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx81 View Post
I'm considering the area as a place to move. In doing some research I've found that the housing prices in Miramar are far cheaper than the rest of the county. I seem to get a lot more house for a lot less. Why is that? Is there a pay off with taxes? Is the crime rate higher?

Second thing of concern to me is schooling. It seems to be a common concern here that Florida schools aren't ranked anywhere close to the top of the charts in the US. Does this apply only to public schools or private schools as well? How much do private schools run for elementary age kids?

Finally, is there a large south asian population in the area? I come from an east indian background and this area seems to be the most culturally diverse in Florida, so I figured it'd have a fair east indian population with restaurants and stores where I can get indian food and other items.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Miramar schools are not that great at all....especially the further east you go. Miramar High school is a BIG no-no. Everglades high out west is decent....but has it's share of problems as does any other high school. Crime is high in Miramar and the economy is not helping at all....people are desperate and are stealing left and right. I assure you of this. I would avoid Miramar and choose Weston instead. There are many foreclosures in Miramar, meaning that if you did buy in Miramar, chances are you would be part of an HOA association and deal with higher and higher fee's and special assesssments every month. The only part of Miramar that is not part of a Moderator cut: offensive structured HOA is country club ranches and most of the homes east of Douglas.

What area are you looking into in Miramar and I can try and shed some more light for you.

Last edited by fauve; 07-25-2009 at 10:45 AM..

Old 07-25-2009, 10:42 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,721,426 times
There are a lot of foreclosures in both Weston and Miramar. Just a quick check with Realty trac showed almost 1000 foreclosures for 33326 & 33327 (Weston zips) alone. I don't think anywhere in South Florida is immune from the foreclosure mess - the differences are all relative. Generally speaking, the older and wealthier the area, the less of a problem. Of course, the deals aren't as frequent either.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:49 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,938,593 times
Weston is generally preferable to west Miramar but not due to a lower foreclosure rate. Weston also has less crime and better schools. Generally, Weston has among the best schools in the state and one of the lowest crime rates in the country, while west Miramar (west of Red Rd) has "above average" schools and an average/below average crime rate. Yes some of the communities between Red Rd and I-75 have been prone to burglaries and some home invasions. And yes there is a growing south Asian population in Weston and Miramar proportionally has more Asians in general than anywhere else in the state, but you are going to have to go to Pembroke Pines, especially east of I-75, for the stores and restaurants. Sunrise also has a few South Asian businesses and restaurants along University Dr and Oakland Park Blvd, which would be in fairly close proximity to Weston.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-25-2009 at 11:00 AM..

Old 07-25-2009, 12:52 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,084,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Weston is generally preferable to west Miramar but not due to a lower foreclosure rate. Weston also has less crime and better schools. Generally, Weston has among the best schools in the state and one of the lowest crime rates in the country, while west Miramar (west of Red Rd) has "above average" schools and an average/below average crime rate. Yes some of the communities between Red Rd and I-75 have been prone to burglaries and some home invasions. And yes there is a growing south Asian population in Weston and Miramar proportionally has more Asians in general than anywhere else in the state, but you are going to have to go to Pembroke Pines, especially east of I-75, for the stores and restaurants. Sunrise also has a few South Asian businesses and restaurants along University Dr and Oakland Park Blvd, which would be in fairly close proximity to Weston.

I will eschew the political correctness and as one who lived in and liked Weston very much ....... it is much more upscale , safer , greener , and desirable than Miramar ... although it is only approximately twelve miles north it may as well be one hundred miles away ... it also has none or very little of the ghetto factor that you see in Miramar ... no I do not mean black people as there are some in Weston most of whom are super good people ....... I mean the ghetto , thug wannbee factor that you see in todays white , black and hispanic kids .... Weston is far from perfect .... but it offers a much better quality of life than Miramar . I also agree with compelled's post by the way .

Old 07-25-2009, 05:04 PM

976 posts, read 1,115,312 times
Hey, you're back from CT.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:39 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,721,426 times
I actually think the economic downturn is already having a positive effect on teenager styles. The whole "suburban middle class kid that wants to look like he's from the ghetto" is becoming a lot less cool now that a lot of these families are struggling in reality. I'm seeing a resurgence in preps & plaids...

Old 07-25-2009, 06:43 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,938,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I actually think the economic downturn is already having a positive effect on teenager styles. The whole "suburban middle class kid that wants to look like he's from the ghetto" is becoming a lot less cool now that a lot of these families are struggling in reality. I'm seeing a resurgence in preps & plaids...
Believe it or not, you will even *gasp* see this among black youth in places like Ft. Lauderdale and the aforementioned Miramar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area