Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:54 AM

96 posts, read 307,357 times

Advertisements

I posted yesterday that we are looking into moving to the area since my husband has an interview in Hollywood.
We do not have to live in that town though.
Does anyone have children in any of the Christian schools or private and what schools would you recommend looking at.
We have several packets from some of the schools but I would love a real opioion from parents.
My husband is flying down Thursday.
Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 11:57 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,708,707 times
My youngest just graduated from American Heritage and we just felt the school got better each year. My kids attended from the early lower school years through high school. It is pricey however - http://ahschool.com/plantation/ahplant.html

Old 05-26-2010, 10:22 PM

Thank you!! The tuition is about how much DC area schools start at so it was not a shock to see. I really do appreciate your time and advice. I will give this info to my husband and hopefully he will have time to go check it out Friday. Take care.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:33 AM

112 posts, read 413,883 times
My daughter has attended Parkway Christian from prek3 to 6th grade, we love it there! It is right around the corner from American Heritage...on Flamingo, just south of 595...in davie, FL. It goes all the way to 8th grade.

Good luck!

Old 06-02-2010, 10:46 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
My kids are also at American Heritage. They have been very happy there. It is a great school for kids who have outside interests as the school has excellent quality sports, art, music, debate, math team, plus tons of other clubs. Non religious schools are Pinecrest (Fort Lauderdale), North Broward Prep (Coconut Creek), University School (Davie). I have heard great things about Pinecrest, not so great things about North Broward and mixed things (love/hate) about University School.

Catholic High Schools St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale), Archbishop McCarthy (SW Ranches), Cardinal Gibbons (Fort Lauderdale), Chaminade-Madonna (Hollywood). I have close friends with kids at St. Thomas. They all love it. there. My husband's partner had 4 kids graduate from Cardinal Gibbons and he raves about that school. I hear good things about Archbishop McCarthy and not so great things about Chaminade.

Westminster Christian, Calvary Christian are also Christian schools in the area. I don't know anything about them except that Calvary has a good wresting team. I know some folks who were at Parkway Christian and St. Bonaventure (K-8) and they loved those schools.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:57 PM

4 posts, read 16,026 times
St. Thomas Aquinas HS is phenomenal. Solid Academics and good college prep. A solid value. Kids love it. Very rare to see a student who doesn't love it there. Alumni tend to be extremely proud. My daughter went there. My 7th grader cannot wait to go.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:48 AM

233 posts, read 530,742 times
St Thomas is a great school, especially its football program which has been rated the top program in the country, although it's not in the greatest neighborhood... Cardinal Gibbons is a great school and in MUCH better neighborhood. Pinecrest is about two minutes from my house and probably the most exclusive and best academic private school in Broward but its VERY expensive....its makes St Thomas and Gibbons look cheap. I've heard good things about Archbishop McCarthy in the Davie area. What ages are your children?

Last edited by sofla951; 06-03-2010 at 01:46 AM..

Old 06-03-2010, 07:59 AM

112 posts, read 413,883 times
I have only heard good things about St Thomas. We are planning for our daughter to attend Archbishop McCarthy when she is in high school, although we are not catholic. Parkway Christian only goes to 8th grade. It is now a feeder school to Archbishop, but not St Thomas. That is also something to consider if you have kids in elementary or middle school.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:06 AM

154 posts, read 552,500 times
I heard great things about St Thomas as well. They win a lot of awards: Silver knight, sports awards....BTW, where is St Thomas located?

Old 06-03-2010, 08:19 AM

After spending 2 years at a Catholic school my daughter does not want to go back to another. We like the information we recieved from Westminster Academy BUT have learned that just because the flyer/information is nice does not make the school. Anyone know about this school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area