Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 04:08 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post
Folks are just gullible.
Yeah. And that's being polite. A governemnt employee in Fort Myers, Florida is not making the same amount as a public employee in the northeast. Not even close.

But hey, pat yourself on the back and play the victim.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:28 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,536,485 times
Let's all be nice...it is a sensitive subject....
And yes, I do know that many teachers do an incredible job in difficult positions.....and I hear that schools are different in Florida then in NY.

The teachers up here do quite well.....but I pay over $3000 a year just in school taxes....that does not even count my property, fire, city and county taxes.....

But we live in a great country.....we can accept things, work to change them, or go somewhere else.

Frank

Old 09-11-2010, 07:01 PM

America been berry, berry good to me.

And you don't always have to pay through the nose to get a good bang for your tax buck.

Here's the tax burden for each state:

The Tax Foundation - State and Local Tax Burdens: All States, One Year, 1977-2008

But here's a recent "pain" index; the combined effect of higher taxes and fewer services due to the recession. You don't always get what you pay for and higher taxes aren't always a guarantee of great services, schools, parks, protection, etc. But low, low taxes and poor services will bite you in the wallet, eventually. It's takes a lot of due diligence - and some smarts - to find out where your money will go further.

A State-by-State "Pain Index" - Rick Newman (usnews.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Let's all be nice...it is a sensitive subject....
And yes, I do know that many teachers do an incredible job in difficult positions.....and I hear that schools are different in Florida then in NY.

The teachers up here do quite well.....but I pay over $3000 a year just in school taxes....that does not even count my property, fire, city and county taxes.....

But we live in a great country.....we can accept things, work to change them, or go somewhere else.

Frank

Old 09-12-2010, 01:48 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,284,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I find it a little strange that an employee of the Canadian government wants to discuss our public sector employees.
you seem to be increasingly falling back into your old habits of taking personal shots

well, if you want to play that game, I'm paying Lee county taxes and you are not ; - )

I would be the first to admit that my union is too strong and the benefits are over the top, and I have worked for politicians with positions against my narrow self interest, for the benefit of the country

I know this is strange for some to comprehend

can we please try to stay above mining old posts and playing personal gotcha?

Old 09-12-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
you seem to be increasingly falling back into your old habits of taking personal shots

well, if you want to play that game, I'm paying Lee county taxes and you are not ; - )

I would be the first to admit that my union is too strong and the benefits are over the top, and I have worked for politicians with positions against my narrow self interest, for the benefit of the country

I know this is strange for some to comprehend

can we please try to stay above mining old posts and playing personal gotcha?
I'm not mining old posts. I've known that you've worked for the Canadian Department of Agriculture for a very, very long time. And every time that you bring up the public sector unions in this country, I bring up the fact that you are an employee of Canada's public sector and an union employee, to boot. This is far from the first time. I have a very good memory.

Yes, you pay taxes to live in Lee County, part-time, but I would have to do the same if I bought a place in Ontario, too, and would be paying partly for your salary. Fair is fair. My husband's family pays taxes and some of that money could be going to my husband and daughter's trust so I guess I am slightly affected.

But this is a forum where anyone can have an opinion, including yourself. But that includes me, too. My question is valid. You knew what you were paying in taxes when you bought the place. And your public sector union salary afforded you the ability to buy that property and all of those vacation days give you the chance to come visit. But the Lee County employees can't do the same? Yet you are personally attacking me?

Old 09-12-2010, 08:13 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,536,485 times
Thread closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area