Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 12:59 AM

196 posts, read 504,720 times

Advertisements

Oh Please share your acclamation tales? what are your favorite things to do, see ,,shop? surprises? Unexpected events , cost? I would especially love to hear from my Norhtern Relo's,, I hopefully will be with you'all soon! I have been trying for 3 yrs to get there! I know I will miss friends, favorite Eateries, and the beautiful Beaches of Long Island, but I am so willing to trade off for Nice Weather, a slower pace and a resonable cost of living? Monthly cost of living for a family of four too would be insightful, thanx for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 08:05 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,338,017 times
I wouldn't worry about shopping and restaurants, there is plenty of shopping and many restaurants. Almost everything is a little cheaper here. Gas is about .30 a gallon cheaper. Homes and property tax are way cheaper. No state income tax. Home owners ins and water bills are much higher. If you are out of the worst flood zone, flood ins. is cheaper though.. You can go to diner style restaurants and get a nice meal for $7.99! Plenty of high end restaurants too. I think LI beaches are nice but they are not much use to you for 8 months a year. Plenty of beaches down here. People are nicer.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:44 PM

I am familiar with the area a bit, spent months there, a couple of times,,,Flood where I am is $1500/yr and the bay is 500 feet away. I am interested in Fresh water canal home with a pool,,very large, hopefully on a open lake, that goes somplace. Thanx for your input!

Old 09-11-2010, 06:07 PM

Fresh water canals don't really go anywhere. Check out this water map:
Map of Cape Coral Florida

My flood is only $325.00. I am on a salt water canal/basin 1 mile from the river.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:07 AM

how long have you lived there? It seems low? I guess your loving it! Mine is considered low,,new owners will pay more so I am told. I thought the lakes went to each other,,I would rather be on salt water,,Anybody flood down there,,,is it a every year occrance? Are you on a high elevation? I am going to check out everything when I am there,,,

Old 09-12-2010, 05:38 AM

I'm a newby in CC. I closed in March. But I have been a property owner in Lee County for 22 years.
I just looked up my policy. With the federal policy fee, the amount is actually $348. I am in a flood zone X. I have $250,000 building, $100,000 contents coverage with $1,000 deductible. I think the flooding would most likely occur when there is a major hurricane. My neighbors told me that our neighborhood did not flood in 2004-2005 hurricanes.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:08 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,876,122 times
Twobeach,Riko is right....you definately want gulf access.Fresh water canals are very polluted from lawn and street runoff......it has nowhere to go.The salt water canals move with the tides and are not as bad.Also,if you want to boat,you can go anywhere in the gulf as opposed to being stuck in a very small area.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:06 PM

Riko,,thanx for the map,,its awsome! I still get so lost driving down there! I love Hot wings from KFC,,right around the block from my house,,can you believe I drove like 5 miles around to other roads to get to the KFC,,all I had to do was run outts sw place and make a couple of rights!!! So hoping to be a relo soon,,sooner than later,,,I have spent time there and we know what were in for, we will be self employed. Family has had interest in the area for over 25 yrs,,,lit a candle, pray {dont wanna offend}whatever we get outta Long Island~ Realty market is dead here,,,thanx again!

Old 09-17-2010, 12:10 AM

48 posts, read 82,840 times
We will be moving down to Ft. Myers next June. Bought a house in Venetian Village off A&W Bulb Road. 15 min. drive to Ft. Myers Beach, 25 min. drive to Sanibel. Got a great price for a 4bd 2.5 bath house with an office, pool, the back of the house overlooking a fountained fake lake. Our college age nephew will be housesitting until then(my brother and his family moved to Ft. Myers in 2001). We can't wait. We've gotta live through another icy St. Louis winter before moving though! We'll probably schlep on down for a visit to Ft. Myers at least a couple times before then. My 9-year-old daughter calls Ft. Myers people "The Forties". I can't wait to be a Fortie lol!

Old 09-17-2010, 12:41 AM

48 posts, read 82,840 times
I wanted to add our food experiences. We've had a lot of good meals down in Ft. Myers, even at the chain restaurants. Bahama Breeze, Joe's Crab Shack(with a picturesque marina view--great at sunset), Famous Dave's BBQ. Hubby likes First Watch for breakfast, he goes there with my brother while I sleep in. Non-chain casual restaurants that we like so far: Iguana Mia and China Buffet(both of these are on 41(S. Cleveland) just north of Colonial) Shoeless Joe's(sports bar type of place), Mel's Diner. We haven't done any fine dining in the area, so I can't help out there. I actually love hole-in-the-wall places. I want to find a hispanic place that makes great ceviche. I had a really yummy ceviche appetizer at La Casita(on McGregor), but the rest of the dinner was just regular quality Mexican. We'll try it out again. Wanted to go to Salvatore's Pizza but it was closed that day. Want to try Two Meatballs in the Kitchen too. Saigon Paris, EL Patio...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area