Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 10:09 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,284,816 times

Advertisements

work in progress...

===
Jobs in SWF - The most dangerous thing you could do would be to give up your lease or sell your house and move to Florida on the HOPE that you might find a job within a few weeks or months. Locals with many connections are having trouble and hundreds of people apply for a minimum wage job when it comes up. Moving down with kids in tow who are relying on you to find work would compound your danger. IF you are determined to move to the sunshine and are prepared to scrape by on wages for much less than the north for the rest of your life (IF you find work at all), it is essential that you come down and find the job BEFORE pulling up stakes up north. Better, if you want to raise a family, especially on unskilled wages, study this information and move to where there are better prospects, at least to more northerly Florida, or better yet, Texas and the midwest.

http://www.bls.gov/lau/maps/aacnrt.gif
Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas
Labor Market Statistics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 11:14 AM

964 posts, read 2,065,008 times
I don't think it could be said any more concisely or clearly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
work in progress...

===
Jobs in SWF - The most dangerous thing you could do would be to give up your lease or sell your house and move to Florida on the HOPE that you might find a job within a few weeks or months. Locals with many connections are having trouble and hundreds of people apply for a minimum wage job when it comes up. Moving down with kids in tow who are relying on you to find work would compound your danger. IF you are determined to move to the sunshine and are prepared to scrape by on wages for much less than the north for the rest of your life (IF you find work at all), it is essential that you come down and find the job BEFORE pulling up stakes up north. Better, if you want to raise a family, especially on unskilled wages, study this information and move to where there are better prospects, at least to more northerly Florida, or better yet, Texas and the midwest.

http://www.bls.gov/lau/maps/aacnrt.gif
Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas
Labor Market Statistics

Old 10-08-2010, 05:00 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
That's fine, but this link will have the precise unemployment rate for Fort Myers/Cape Coral as well as numerous other areas of Florida and across the country. It has the most information and is always accurate.

Table 1. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and metropolitan area

Old 10-08-2010, 06:33 PM

OK - hopefully this is done

==

Table 1. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and metropolitan area (Alphabetical)
Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas (Ranked by lowest unemployment)
http://www.bls.gov/lau/maps/aacnrt.gif (map representation, slightly dated)

Old 10-10-2010, 06:10 AM

31 posts, read 80,819 times
Job market is a tough one! I did find a good job in the waitress field last week. Even got days, which I thought was going to be impossible. My husband just started looking. Hope he has some luck too.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kidsplus2 View Post
Job market is a tough one! I did find a good job in the waitress field last week. Even got days, which I thought was going to be impossible. My husband just started looking. Hope he has some luck too.
how many places did you apply to...

Old 10-10-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
how many places did you apply to...
About 10 apps online. I don't like that way of doing it at all----don't know if they were even hiring. This was my 3rd application I took in. Had a interview the next day and got hired. ; I consider myself VERY LUCKY!!!!! We were one of the people that sold up north to come down for the cheap house market and no more winters. We were fortunate to pay cash for a house but our car insurance alone is 300 a month so we needed jobs.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
About 10 apps online. I don't like that way of doing it at all----don't know if they were even hiring. This was my 3rd application I took in. Had a interview the next day and got hired. ; I consider myself VERY LUCKY!!!!! We were one of the people that sold up north to come down for the cheap house market and no more winters. We were fortunate to pay cash for a house but our car insurance alone is 300 a month so we needed jobs.
That's not bad at all. Waitressing, though, at $2+ a hour, though, right?

Old 10-10-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That's not bad at all. Waitressing, though, at $2+ a hour, though, right?
think it's like 4.23. Far cry from what I've made in the past-thinking tips will be alot better though. Got in a very busy rest. chain. I'm just glad I got a job. I was worried. I was willing to take anything and any shift-but with kids and sports was estatic to get days. I love waitressing, it's a fun job and decent money.

Last edited by 4kidsplus2; 10-10-2010 at 04:03 PM..

Old 10-10-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
think it's like 4.23. Far cry from what I've made in the past-thinking tips will be alot better though. Got in a very busy rest. chain. I'm just glad I got a job. I was worried. I was willing to take anything and any shift-but with kids and sports was estatic to get days. I love waitressing, it's a fun job and decent money.
Oh, boy. I hope so. Florida tips can be rough: transients, vacationers and tight retirees. If you get regulars it might help. I waited tables in Orlando and Fort Myers. Fort Myers was a bit better but it was an upscale restaurant. Younger professionals. That was years ago, though.

Last edited by hiknapster; 10-10-2010 at 05:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area