Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2011, 08:31 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times

Advertisements

Anyone know if fresh softshell crabs are available in the cape coral or ft myers area, or is it too hot here? If available, where? What seafood market or restaurant? What is the season for those delicious things?

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 08:41 AM

964 posts, read 2,064,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Anyone know if fresh softshell crabs are available in the cape coral or ft myers area, or is it too hot here? If available, where? What seafood market or restaurant? What is the season for those delicious things?

TIA.

there's nothing better than a couple of sauteed Maryland soft blues. I doubt if you can find them fresh here - way too perishable. See link for more info.

Buying Soft Shell Crabs

Old 04-01-2011, 11:20 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post
there's nothing better than a couple of sauteed Maryland soft blues. I doubt if you can find them fresh here - way too perishable. See link for more info.

Buying Soft Shell Crabs
Yep - that's what I suspected. But as our home is in Arizona, I figured I just might find them while we're here for 3 months.

Damn. Those softshells are one of the few things I miss about living in NY and Philly.

(PS - I have found great PEI mussels here - $3.99/pound at Merrick's Seafood in Cape Coral. Delicious and by Arizona prices, a bargain!)

Old 02-17-2014, 06:49 PM

3 posts, read 7,323 times
Default Soft Shell Crab

Old post, but you have to know who to contact in the Cape Coral area. Yes, soft shells do exist and yes, you can get them live. You just have to know where. Some seafood wholesale places have them, but if you are lucky you can find the commercial crabber who sells them without the middle man. Having lived and crabbed in Maryland for years and years, the crabs can be just as good in SW FL, although I know people will argue!

Old 02-18-2014, 06:04 PM

297 posts, read 509,436 times
Wont argue a bit. I am from MD also. Went to Peace River Seafood in PG. The crabs were heavy and had a good taste. Larger than any crab I had in MD in the last 3 years. In fact they went on to say most of what they catch are shipped to MD and Va.
Crabbygirl what part of MD you from?

Old 02-20-2014, 08:59 PM

As a note, I said I know this can be done because my husband is a commercial crabber and has a soft shell license. Check out gulfbreezefisheries.com if interested.
Beak Boater - Thanks for the agreement, sometimes it can be hard to convince others. We are from the St. Michaels area on the eastern shore. Bozman specifically and spent a lot of time in Tilghman Island. How about you?

Old 02-21-2014, 09:50 AM

297 posts, read 509,436 times
St. Michaels is a beautiful area...our grandson lives in Centerville, my wife and I miss the Eastern Shore. Lived in So Md. Port Tobacco Md, spent most of our time on the Potomac River.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:10 PM

When we first started spending time in Maryland, we went to the Navy Rec Center in Solomons. We loved it there, so are familiar with the western shore, too. Of course, that's on the Patuxent, but my husband was a captain on a dinner cruise ship in DC on the Potomac. Fond memories, but we really love this area and adore the weather!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area