Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 11:18 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
Did anyone have the impression of values being pushed way below market value last year?

My theory is that they are pushing assessed or taxable values down, so that when they start back up, the homesteaders will benefit from the 3% cap, and non homesteaders will take it up the rear with relatively unlimited increases

Perhaps this is only how it appeared from a paseo perspective
Is this the "save our home" thing. That is for people that actually live in their home, right?

Yeah, the large leaps in taxes and ins just boggles my mind. No "normal" homeowner w/ a reg mtg pmt can take those kind of hits.
That had to play a large factor in home foreclosures, as well. It's like what alternate reality are they living in? Even if you rent, that effects all the housing prices.

See why those climate controlled storage units have cameras, to make sure you don't move in... lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 04:54 AM

646 posts, read 1,642,233 times
Quote:
Did anyone have the impression of values being pushed way below market value last year?

My theory is that they are pushing assessed or taxable values down, so that when they start back up, the homesteaders will benefit from the 3% cap, and non homesteaders will take it up the rear with relatively unlimited increases

Perhaps this is only how it appeared from a paseo perspective
If you bought a brand new home, your assessed value might be just off the value of the land. Not sure if this is the case for you, but it was for a lot of people who didn't realize that their taxes weren't always going to be 300/yr.
As for 2010 assessed values, they seemed low but the mil rate was high. The assessed values might go up, but they will probably lower the mil rate and it will seem about the same. Who knows what they'll do in 2011. We will soon find out.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:35 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRESI View Post
If you bought a brand new home, your assessed value might be just off the value of the land. Not sure if this is the case for you, but it was for a lot of people who didn't realize that their taxes weren't always going to be 300/yr.
As for 2010 assessed values, they seemed low but the mil rate was high. The assessed values might go up, but they will probably lower the mil rate and it will seem about the same. Who knows what they'll do in 2011. We will soon find out.
This happened to me, and I got a bit screwed on the closing because of how the process works (based on previous year land assessment) if you are not paying attention and are too cheap to pay for a lawyer, but typical of Stock Development, when I queried them on this, we split the difference a year after the fact...and they were in no way obligated to do so.

There are many such stories that circulate the neighbourhood and its the difference of working with an old money local family that is trying to build a long term brand and maybe has a conscience to boot.

the way it will work though is as the assessed values rise, and they will rise significantly even if they just adjust to real prices, the homesteaders (primary residence) will be protected by the 3% cap and everyone else will be seeing 10% annual increases (total = net assessment * mill rate). This is one of many ways the locals screw the non-voting second home owners.

I'm not mad or anything...I am an economist and work with government program design, so I know the tricks. I just find it interesting.

In the end, things equibrilate...the more benefits the local government funnels to locals, the less money they are willing to take to live here, and the payment in sunshine factor grows.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:31 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,349,784 times
"This is one of many ways the locals screw the non-voting second home owners." and the vacant property owners.

This seems to be business as usual here (screw the non-voting second home owners) It is this lack of integrity that I find most disturbing about SWFL.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:46 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Is the 3% for Homesteaders on total amt? Assessment value, or mil rate?

Old 05-31-2011, 01:37 PM

225 posts, read 493,996 times
Lee County property value estimates out Wednesday | The News-Press | news-press.com

Old 05-31-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equalrightsforeveryone View Post
"This is one of many ways the locals screw the non-voting second home owners." and the vacant property owners.

This seems to be business as usual here (screw the non-voting second home owners) It is this lack of integrity that I find most disturbing about SWFL.
The key is to proceed with eyes open and weigh the pros and cons, take informed appropriate action, rent, and if you buy, keep your financial footprint well below your wipeout ceiling

If you assume everyone is a crook, dont get sloppy with references, you won't be disappointed, and often surprised.

You get it all back through the inexpensive services, restaurant meals and miromar shopping.

Florida has a monopoly on good winter weather that you can drive to, with rule of law.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Is the 3% for Homesteaders on total amt? Assessment value, or mil rate?

Assessment

Save Our Homes (http://www.pbcgov.com/papa/SaveOurHomes.htm - broken link)

Old 05-31-2011, 09:35 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
The key is to proceed with eyes open and weigh the pros and cons, take informed appropriate action, rent, and if you buy, keep your financial footprint well below your wipeout ceiling

If you assume everyone is a crook, dont get sloppy with references, you won't be disappointed, and often surprised.

You get it all back through the inexpensive services, restaurant meals and miromar shopping.

Florida has a monopoly on good winter weather that you can drive to, with rule of law.
That's a sad way to live. If you spend your entire life assuming everyone is going to rip you off you really could be using that energy to weed out the bad from the good. It's not that difficult. Definitely question everything and research the information and the source.

Good to see that you've found a good developer that realizes word-of-mouth will come back to him ten-fold. But yes, some people truly do have a conscience. Far more than you can imagine.

By the way, I'm not a fan of outlet stores. You are far better off shopping the sales and clearance racks at the upscale department stores and then TJ Maxx, Ross and Marshall's. For the best deals find the thrift and consignment shops in the best neighborhoods - maybe Naples but also try Palm Beach - for killer deals on designer clothes.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That's a sad way to live. If you spend your entire life assuming everyone is going to rip you off you really could be using that energy to weed out the bad from the good. .
there are several levels to this

the purpose of the posting was directed at someone who appears to be at the level of getting worked up when people around him don't live up to his expectations...so, you lower expectations, and the problem goes away ; - )

there is actually some research out there that ironically indicates that pessimists are happier than optimists, for this very reason.

I hear what you are saying...but its not so much a negative "nasty suspicion" of everyone like you think...its more of a sense of humor and acceptance that boys-will-be boys, and everyone is doing the best they can with what they have to work with.

Like a dog might bite you...you can get angry with the dog and hit him, or you can laugh it off and accept that that is part of the deal when owning or approaching a strange dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area